Official CCS Grillmasters thread

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Watched an uncle fuck up hamburgers and hot dogs on a grill this weekend.

How can you run a large company but cannot figure out how to not burn a fucking burger?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My buddy just told me his wife made brisket in the crock pot today so I must ask the resident expert on brisket - @brett05 is this even possible? I’m skeptical

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Dark meat is pretty forgiving. White meat like boneless skinless chicken breasts can be hard. Real easy to dry out. I've found that pounding, brining, and then cooking at a hotter temp for less time helps a lot. Meat thermometers are your friend.
Dark meat > White meat.

I have gotten better since I got the meat thermometer with the smoker.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And you incorrectly accused me of doing it. Nice work.
Imagine being so widely hated on CCS that you don't even know what mod is fucking with you...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Dunno

Would think so, just different. Probably more like "pulled beef/italian beef"
It's a typical Jewish preparation of the brisket to braise it. It doesn't turn it into Italian beef. But leave it to you to post about something that you have no idea about traditionally or historically. No go ahead and run away now.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a typical Jewish preparation of the brisket to braise it. It doesn't turn it into Italian beef. But leave it to you to post about something that you have no idea about traditionally or historically. No go ahead and run away now.
As a self proclaimed zionist how do u know so little about Jewishly prepared brisket?

So proud of you two for coming back with such well educated responses. I would have just gone all Beavis & Butt-Head on @brett05 seriously saying "pulled beef".

Way to outclass me fellas.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Smoking some ribs today. Saw someone hitting them with worscestshire instead of mustard pre-rub, thought it sounded interesting and I like worscestshire sauce, so I gave it a whirl. Trying to keep it pegged around 250, I'm about 2.5 hrs in. At 3 hrs I'm gonna open it up and spritz it with a combo of apple juice and pineapple juice. I'll snap a pic when I do that. At 4 hrs I'm gonna start lightly basting them with some sauce + apple cider vinegar to get it nice and thin to build some layers.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Looking good

jSvXyi3.jpg

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
God damn, these ribs are good

BWjLbWa.jpg

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Smoking some ribs today. Saw someone hitting them with worscestshire instead of mustard pre-rub, thought it sounded interesting and I like worscestshire sauce, so I gave it a whirl. Trying to keep it pegged around 250, I'm about 2.5 hrs in. At 3 hrs I'm gonna open it up and spritz it with a combo of apple juice and pineapple juice. I'll snap a pic when I do that. At 4 hrs I'm gonna start lightly basting them with some sauce + apple cider vinegar to get it nice and thin to build some layers.
When do you stuff them with bacon, feta cheese and onions?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Alright. It's time to start gearing up for football season. I've never smoked wings in my life, but I'm gonna do a test run this weekend. Probably will have to invite some people over to eat all of this, but a quick "hey, help me eat some wings" text to a few people should do the trick.

1) I want to know how many wings I can reasonably smoke on my WSM. A normal package I buy at the grocery store is around 25-30 after they have been split. I think I can get about 4 packages on there, so ~ 100 wings I think. We will see.

2) Gonna give them a good rub, and smoke with pecan for about 2 hrs at 225. Again, we'll see how long this actually takes.

3) Get the Weber kettle super hot and cook maybe 5 mins total to get some char and crisp. Will obviously need to work in batches.

4) Try some different sauce variations and see what's good. One batch not sauced at all, just want to see how the smoke + rub works naked. One traditional hot sauce + butter + garlic. I'm thinking something sweet might work well to balance out the smoke and rub - so maybe one batch with a spicy thai chili, and another with a mild honey mustard sauce.

Thoughts? Updates to follow...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Alright. It's time to start gearing up for football season. I've never smoked wings in my life, but I'm gonna do a test run this weekend. Probably will have to invite some people over to eat all of this, but a quick "hey, help me eat some wings" text to a few people should do the trick.

1) I want to know how many wings I can reasonably smoke on my WSM. A normal package I buy at the grocery store is around 25-30 after they have been split. I think I can get about 4 packages on there, so ~ 100 wings I think. We will see.

2) Gonna give them a good rub, and smoke with pecan for about 2 hrs at 225. Again, we'll see how long this actually takes.

3) Get the Weber kettle super hot and cook maybe 5 mins total to get some char and crisp. Will obviously need to work in batches.

4) Try some different sauce variations and see what's good. One batch not sauced at all, just want to see how the smoke + rub works naked. One traditional hot sauce + butter + garlic. I'm thinking something sweet might work well to balance out the smoke and rub - so maybe one batch with a spicy thai chili, and another with a mild honey mustard sauce.

Thoughts? Updates to follow...
Honestly I would maybe smoke for an hour tops. Then grill to crisp.

How I do mine? Smoke for an hour with rub, flash fry in peanut oil to finish, toss in more rub post frying. Legit every time.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly I would maybe smoke for an hour tops. Then grill to crisp.

How I do mine? Smoke for an hour with rub, flash fry in peanut oil to finish, toss in more rub post frying. Legit every time.
Thanks...never done it before and wasn't sure how long it would take. 225 sound about right? I'm trying to avoid frying, you think a hot sear on charcoal will work? Maybe lightly brush with some oil before doing that?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thanks...never done it before and wasn't sure how long it would take. 225 sound about right? I'm trying to avoid frying, you think a hot sear on charcoal will work? Maybe lightly brush with some oil before doing that?

I know for a fact all that will work. But honestly before u do the sear toss them in a vinegary sauce and maybe rinse and repeat that. Vinegar should draw out fat and crisp it more. A buddy of mine does grilled buffalo wings like that, no smoking, just constantly spinning wings in sauce in a bowl and grilling them in stages.

I just fry for convenience and mouthfeel.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Alright...so. The plan got sidetracked, but these came out good. Ended up smoking at like 250-275 for around 2 hrs, and didn't finish on high heat. The skin was good enough. Seasoned with some all purpose seasoning (garlic, salt, pepper) and some bbq rub.

Halfway through:

All done:

Not sure how many I made, but probably around 75-100 on both the top and bottom racks. 3 whole packages split.

Fucking good.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just had some good ole fashioned ground chuck patties tonight. Asparagus and some pasta salad.