***OFFICIAL*** IGT: Bears vs Packers (Centennial Season Kickoff Edition)

Your Take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
gameday-summary.jpg

CHUCK PAGANO vs MATT LAFLEUR
LaFleur just got handed the most talented quarterback in the league. Pagano just got handed the most talented defense in the league. They are playing each other in the NFL Season Opener. I really don't think I can sell it any better than those three lines.

MITCHELL TRUBISKY vs AARON RODGERS
While they never truly face each other on the field, if Trubisky is going to QB the Bears for longer than that rookie contract, he has to start by keeping up with Rodgers. In their last meeting in Chicago, Trubisky walked away with better stats, a victory and a division title. Can Rodgers reassert his dominance in the NFC North or is there a "changing of the guard" on the horizon? I really don't think I can sell it any better than those three lines.

KHALIL MACK vs ****ING EVERYBODY
These two teams met in their respective season openers last year. Mack, barely with his new team a week, almost murders Aaron Rodgers on Rodgers' home field. Now a fully healthy and fully seasoned Mack is meeting Rodgers again, but this time it is in Mack's town and he is very displeased about the opening loss that ultimately cost his team a playoff bye week. I really don't think I can sell it any better than those three lines.

This will be the 199th game between the oldest rivalry the NFL, but the two teams do not have the longest consecutive rivalry. That belongs to the Packers and Lions who have played each other every single year since 1932. Bears/Packers date back to 1921, but the two teams broke their streak in 1982 when a strike knocked out almost half the season...including both Green Bay match-ups.

SEASON OPENER BONUS STAT: Despite all the changes in the modern NFL to favor offenses...the highest scoring match-up between these two teams happened in 1955. The Bears created a 45-3 lead at the half, but the Pack put up 28 points in the fourth quarter trying to make a game out it. Bears still pull out a win with a final score 52-31, but the combined 83 points is a record that still stands.

100 SEASONS BONUS STAT: In 1941 the Bears and Packers each finished 10-1, splitting the two games with each other and winning every other game, to finish tied in first of the NFL Western Division. To decide a winner of the division...the two teams played a one game playoff. The Bears would win that game 33-14 on their way to a NFL Championship win. That would be the only time the two teams would meet in the playoffs until 2010 and that is absolutely all I have to say about that.

BEARSOPPONENTS
Total First Downs331278
1st Downs (Rush-Pass-By Penalty)108 - 177 - 4667 - 186 - 25
3rd Down Conversions82/20075/219
4th Down Conversions9/1516/28
Total Offensive Yds55024795
Offense (Plays-Avg Yds)1013 - 5.41004 - 4.8
Total Rushing Yds19381280
Rushing (Plays-Avg Yards)468 - 4.1339 - 3.8
Total Passing Yds35643515
Passing (Comp-Att-Int-Avg)344 - 512 - 14 - 7.3377 - 615 - 27 - 6.3
Sacks5033
Field Goals23/3025/26
Touchdowns5030
(Rush-Pass-Ret-Def)16 - 28 - 0 - 65 - 22 - 1 - 2
Time of Possession32:2228:42
Turnover Ratio+12

Detailed statistics will be added for team leaders on both offense and defense for 2019 as the season moves along. For week one, here is a brief overview of performance leaders from 2018.

PASSING
Dear Sweet Mitchell
i

In the first year of Nagy's offense, Mitch threw for 3,223 yards with 24 TDs /12INTs, a 66.7% completion percentage and a 70.8 QBR. Whether or not he can take the next step in year two under Nagy will likely be the biggest determining factor on how deep the Bears can go this season.

RECEIVING
Allen Robinson
i

Allen Robinson enters the 2019 regular season with a full offseason under his belt including going to California to train with Mitchell Trubisky and fellow receivers. After a 2018 campaign in which he caught 55 passes for 754 yards and 4 touchdowns, Robinson is poised to have a big year and be a true No. 1 receiver. Working with Trubisky in the offseason should help that chemistry between the two.

RUSHING
Who Will It Be After Week 1

?

Howard is gone, so we're gonna leave this blank for Week 1. In 2018 Howard lead the team with 935 rushing yards on over 200 rushing attempts last season. It will be interesting to watch how the load is distributed between Montgomery, Davis and Cohen this season.

TACKLES
Roquan Smith
i

Roquan Smith took over as the full time starter in Week 2 vs. Seattle and had a monster rookie season finishing with 121 combined tackles, 5 sacks and an interception. He recorded a sack on Packers' QB DeShone Kizer on his very first snap and would come just one tackle short of setting the Bears franchise record for tackles by a rookie in a season. Smith looks like a star at the inside linebacker position and hopes to avoid a sophomore slump.

INTERCEPTIONS
Kyle Fuller
i

Kyle Fuller broke out in a major way in 2018 becoming one of the best defensive backs in football. After missing all of 2016 and struggling in 2017, Fuller's future with the Bears was in jeopardy. But after the Bears matched Green Bay's offer sheet, Fuller turned in a 2018 season in which he had 55 total tackles, 21 passes defended and 7 interceptions earning him a trip to the Pro Bowl and a spot on the NFL's All-Pro team.

SACKS
Khalil Mack
i

It's still hard to believe that the Chicago Bears actually acquired edge rusher Khalil Mack as we approached the anniversary weekend of the big trade. Mack made his impact felt right away in Week 1 of the 2018 season, recording a sack, a forced fumble and returning an interception for a touchdown. He finished 2018 with 12.5 sacks,, 6 forced fumbles and an INT.

power-rankings-week-1.png

POWER RANKING LINKS

This week we're giving away a Bears hat or t-shirt, and donators have the chance to win a set of AirPods! If you're not already a member it's quick and easy to sign up, click on the "Register Now" button below. Join the conversation and make sure you get in on your chance to win these awesome prizes!

thumb.aspx
All Subscribers Eligible​
Donators Only​

OFFICIAL CONTEST LINK
DONATORS ONLY CONTEST
HAT GIVEAWAY!

Official FoodBlog Threads:

WEEK ONE

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
CBS has the Packers ranked as the 2nd best team in the NFL, #1 in the NFC? Is the guy from Wisconsin, or just stupid?
That was written awhile ago...but still. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they finished last in the division. But I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed for a WC spot either.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
42-10 Bears.

National talk won’t be about how good the Bears are but about what’s wrong with GB and is Rodgers going to retire at the end of the season.

bossfan23

Liked Posts:
CBS has the Packers ranked as the 2nd best team in the NFL, #1 in the NFC? Is the guy from Wisconsin, or just stupid?

I gotta say, it's impressive a national writer would want to put their reputation on the line with such an asinine assessment. He literally wrote that the Packers' "improvements on defense make Green Bay the team to beat in the NFC."

What in the absolute hell?

It's not impossible to believe the Packers could make the playoffs this year, but they've done nothing to make anyone think they should be ranked higher than 3rd in their own division, let alone the best team in the NFC. No honest assessment of their offseason and roster could possibly come to that conclusion. There's no journalistic integrity there whatsoever, just some kind of crazy homerism going on.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Packers 10
Bears 34

Menu: Jalapeno Poppers, Green Chile Queso dip, shrimp po'boys, dressed with hot sauce. Homemade cole slaw. Pinot Noir or a nice, buttery chard depending on our temperature.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
IT'S BACK BABY

Mitchell Trubisky: 21-31, 205 yards, 1 TDs, 0 INTs, 4 rushes, 27 yards, 1 TD.
David Montgomery: 17 carries, 77 yards, 1TD, 2 receptions, 12 yards.
Allen Robinson: 8 receptions, 90 yards, 1TD.

Bears 23
Packers 14

Status
Not open for further replies.