Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard career percentage of 8 men in box, yards before contact and yards after contact.

2016 - 27.78% 8MB, 2.22 YBC and 2.98 YAC
2017 - 43.12% 8MB, 1.58 YBC and 2.52 YAC
2018 - 14.00% 8MB, 0.96 YBC and 2.74 YAC
2019 - 07.55% 8MB, 1.53 YBC and 3.17 YAC

David Montgomery stats

2019 - 23.19% 8MB, 1.14 YBC and 2.16 YAC

So what can we determine for the above? First, Howard has maintained his YAC regardless of the 8 men in the box percentage. Even when he was facing 43.12% 8 man boxes, he still had a YAC higher than Monty. In fact his YAC is higher than Monty for every year of his career.

What we can also see from the above is that Howard's problems in 2018 were less about him and more about the OL. His YAC of 2.74 was higher than the previous year and again still higher than Monty's 2.16 this year. What changed for Howard in 2018 was that he was only getting 0.96 yards before contact.

As for Monty, he is actually getting a higher YBC than Howard got last year. The simple fact is his YAC just isn't up to par and no he has not faced an inordinate amount of 8 man fronts. The difference here is when Howard gets contact he continues trying to move forward. Monty likes to dance around which means he has no head of steam. So he may break a tackle bounce backwards only to get tackled in the same spot he gave up to bounce around. He needs to learn to continue moving forward as only Barry Sanders could consistently give up ground and gain more back with all his moves and dancing.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
He can't get a head of steam up when he runs into the backside of the OL 2 yards behind the LOS.
And as far as Monty not banging ahead for a few extra yards, you need to watch more tape(see the Tape Doesnt Lie video, 18:00 mark.)

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What does PFF have to do with Monty vs JHow stat tracker thread?
After reviewing the film on Long, a +10 handicap is not enough. You may need to re-evaluate.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
After reviewing the film on Long, a +10 handicap is not enough. You may need to re-evaluate.
Should we go +20 and call it the Long/Leno handicap?

Oh shit, I just checked, Monty still loses with +20 per game. What number handicap would appease the meatballs?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He can't get a head of steam up when he runs into the backside of the OL 2 yards behind the LOS.
And as far as Monty not banging ahead for a few extra yards, you need to watch more tape(see the Tape Doesnt Lie video, 18:00 mark.)

Except Howard had a lower yards before contact last year and yet still ended up with more than a half yard more in yards after contact.

Monty has simply underperformed relative to Howard's time in Chicago despite the hype.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hey guys, I haven't been updating this thread as I figured CCS needed to save at least some face seeing as how disappointing this season has played out so far... But needless to say, Howard is vastly outperforming Monty in literally every statistical category. I can update if you all deem necessary, but I'm not sure it is. Just let me know peoples.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will point out again that Howard had 0.96 yards per carry before contact last year and 2.74 yards after contact.

This year Monty has 1 yard before contact and 2 yards after contact.

So the OL has given them virtually the same amount of yards before contact. The difference is Howard got almost a full yard more after contact than Monty because he keeps moving forward while Monty thinks he is on dancing with the stars.

The stats suggest the problem was the OL last year. The stats also suggests Monty has sucked even with the bad OL. Howard has averaged more than 2 yards after contact every single year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What if, and I know this is going to sound crazy. But what if....... we handed Montgomery the ball, and then tried to block for him?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I will point out again that Howard had 0.96 yards per carry before contact last year and 2.74 yards after contact.

This year Monty has 1 yard before contact and 2 yards after contact.

So the OL has given them virtually the same amount of yards before contact. The difference is Howard got almost a full yard more after contact than Monty because he keeps moving forward while Monty thinks he is on dancing with the stars.

The stats suggest the problem was the OL last year. The stats also suggests Monty has sucked even with the bad OL. Howard has averaged more than 2 yards after contact every single year.
Do we have the stats for how many runs were out of shotgun?

It's harder to get momentum when you get handoffs out of shotgun and I could see this affecting YAC.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard yards per carry: 4.5
Bears offense yards per play: 4.4

:Pace:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
NECRO BUMP

mecha

Liked Posts:
where is Douche these days?

the 3 headed monster of HeHateMe Grimson and Douche hasn't been a thing in so long

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
NECRO BUMP
It only took literally years for this to be true, and for Howard to be well out of the RB prime years. Lets pause the chest thumping a bit, yeah?