OFFICIAL Kicking Thread Watch: Fry(e)* vs. Pineiro

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wanted to gauge the temperature of the board on the Bears vaunted kicking competition. To date, both guys seem to be kicking well. Sounds like Fry had a good day yesterday despite the wet reps. Sounds like practice for the next few days is not available to the public so things will be quiet most likely but it should be Pinerio's day to kick.

From a pure stats perspective, Pineiro had a better college career, although only two years of experience and a much smaller sample size before declaring for the draft and sitting out his first season on the IR. He has kicked an 81 yarder in practice in college and a 63 yarder just a few days ago.

Fry:

Fry appears to have the EP down, but his accuracy in college is a bit scary with a career FG% of 75%. He does have the leg up in terms of experience post college with his stint in the AAF. Fry went 14/14 with a long of 47. Fry's longest is a 55 yarder for a game winner in college.

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out and I imagine the pre season games are going to play a large part into who Pace/Nagy decide to go with. As of this moment, I am soap-boxing for Pineiro based on his accuracy and appears to have a stronger leg, but Fry is making a compelling case so far in TC.

Side note: Bears should definitely be giving #WIRTLEPOWER (@Grimson) a good hard look.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't want the bears to cut the wrong dude.

Maybe they both have good careers as one of them stated .. don't remember who

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bothmissed 1 on their first day of kicking, both missed 2 on their second day. Nothing seems to be separating them purely from that stand point. Wish we knew more about length trajectory and KO's.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bothmissed 1 on their first day of kicking, both missed 2 on their second day. Nothing seems to be separating them purely from that stand point. Wish we knew more about length trajectory and KO's.
The biggest separation occurred IMO with the context of the 2 misses. Yesterday Fry warriored through Wet Reps while today could not have been more a perfect day for kicking for Peniero.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The biggest separation occurred IMO with the context of the 2 misses. Yesterday Fry warriored through Wet Reps while today could not have been more a perfect day for kicking for Peniero.
That's why I don't agree with this every other day schedule.
Make them compete in identical conditions.
Pressure them with trying to match the other guy.
And the rationale that it allows them to get into a rhythm seems contrary to what they do in a game. They don't get quickly repeated attempts in games.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's why I don't agree with this every other day schedule.
Make them compete in identical conditions.
Pressure them with trying to match the other guy.
And the rationale that it allows them to get into a rhythm seems contrary to what they do in a game. They don't get quickly repeated attempts in games.
Nagy needs to pull 540s on them and switch up the days 1 hour ahead of time. Really keep them on their toesies

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Should be interesting to watch throughout camp and during the Preseason. Agree with iueyedr, make them kick during the same day, however a component of rest might be factoring into the decision to go one day on and one day off.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In 2012, I was hearing how sharp Cutler looked in training camp. His throws were accurate and gauging the Bears D. Then I remembered that it was a Mel Tucker's defense. No wonder Cutler looked so good.

This defense is a top 5 defense. It can only make Mitch better. Progress is being made albeit via baby steps, but baby steps leads to great strides.
What in the blue heck does this have to do with kicking?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Eddy hits more “line drives” while Fry’s have a really high trajectory some times which minimizes his distance. Yesterday he kicked a ;8 yard FG by all accounts no room to spare. Eddy has also been described as much better on KOs simply bc of his superior leg strength.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eddy P has the advantage in both. His superior leg strength has

Eddy hits more “line drives” while Fry’s have a really high trajectory some times which minimizes his distance. Yesterday he kicked a ;8 yard FG by all accounts no room to spare. Eddy has also been described as much better on KOs simply bc of his superior leg strength.

FINE. You can be the CCS FG Kicking Expert. But you better not think u know CHIT about the most important aspect... the snap.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
FINE. You can be the CCS FG Kicking Expert. But you better not think u know CHIT about the most important aspect... the snap.
Both are very important though, please don't be a CCS WANKER about this.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
A strong leg matters in Soldier field, especially when it's windy. I'll take Pineiro between the two. If a better kicker shows up, so be it.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Where have you seen the those trajectories noted? Or are you just assuming by Eddy having a strong leg his kicks are line drives? Here is his 63 yarder at TC it seems to still be as high as the top of the uprights at about 10 yards from the uprights. People too often try to equate long kicks with hitting a driver. Maybe Piniero just hits his 7 ironas far as most guys hit a 3 iron

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Where have you seen the those trajectories noted? Or are you just assuming by Eddy having a strong leg his kicks are line drives? Here is his 63 yarder at TC it seems to still be as high as the top of the uprights at about 10 yards from the uprights.
I heard it on this podcast.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Fry has more reps in rain and a better percentage overall in camp, I believe. But Pineiro had that sweet 63 yarder (although Fry had a 60 yarder).

From what the local reporters are saying, Pineiro has a better pop off the foot and clearly has the better range, but Fry’s got the accuracy and consistency, with nearly every one of his kicks looking the exact same—smooth and straight.

I’m liking these two guys in camp so far.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I will be looking to see how they fare when the rubber meets the road in the bright lights of the preseason games.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would like to know John Fox's take on the competition.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm team Fry. I don't trust people whose last name ends with a vowel.