OFFICIAL Kicking Thread Watch: Fry(e)* vs. Pineiro

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Some of you are acting like Fry has some small-time limited range or something. He connected on just as many 60+ yarders in camp as Pineiro did.

I fully believe Pineiro has the bigger leg, but if your kicker can get a 60 yarder, what more do you really need from him? You’re not pulling up for a 70 yarder.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Some of you are acting like Fry has some small-time limited range or something. He connected on just as many 60+ yarders in camp as Pineiro did.

I fully believe Pineiro has the bigger leg, but if your kicker can get a 60 yarder, what more do you really need from him? You’re not pulling up for a 70 yarder.
Touchbacks on kickoffs? From TC, I thought the narrative was that Eddie routinely kicked it out of the endzone while Fry was always short. Not really a huge deal, imo but when the practice kicking was so close, then it could have been a factor. If Eddie can't hit in games though and Fry can, then it's a non-issue.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I can only go by watching them live, the difference in leg power is obvious live. Fry does have that smooth stroke most of the time that goes right down the middle, but he has these shaky kicks too. I also can't get the ridiculous miss he had out of my head. But again just make kicks thats all that matters.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
For what it’s worth, Dan Wiederer with the Tribune and Adam Jahns with The Athletic were the sole local sports guys who thought Fry was ahead in the competition BEFORE the game.

Anything could happen, and anyone could win it, but gotta give props at least right now to those guys.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
For what it’s worth, Dan Wiederer with the Tribune and Adam Jahns with The Athletic were the sole local sports guys who thought Fry was ahead in the competition BEFORE the game.

Anything could happen, and anyone could win it, but gotta give props at least right now to those guys.

What about me? I've been saying the same thing since MAY.

Rise

Liked Posts:
They should offer a conditional 6th for the Ravens kicker right now (has to make the roster). I'd even up it to a 5th if he makes 90% of his kicks something like that.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
They should offer a conditional 6th for the Ravens kicker right now (has to make the roster). I'd even up it to a 5th if he makes 90% of his kicks something like that.
It would also give MegaShank some competition

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Id like this Ravens kicker. Big leg and can punt if punter gets hurt? Get'r done Pace :)

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Just for S’s and G’s. I understand it’s camp versus games, but if you add up all of Fry’s kicks and all of Pineiro’s kicks from training camp, Family Fun Night at Soldier Field, and last week’s game, both Fry and Pineiro are kicking at 84 percent.

That would put them right around 19th/20th in the league last year, right around Stephen Gostkowski and Jake Elliott.

Kickers who had a worse percentage last year:

Bullock
Janikowski
Crosby
Carlson
Maher
McManus
Catanzaro
Hauschka
Santos
Parkey
Bailey
Sturgis
McCrane
Boswell
Gonzalez

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Just for S’s and G’s. I understand it’s camp versus games, but if you add up all of Fry’s kicks and all of Pineiro’s kicks from training camp, Family Fun Night at Soldier Field, and last week’s game, both Fry and Pineiro are kicking at 84 percent.

That would put them right around 19th/20th in the league last year, right around Stephen Gostkowski and Jake Elliott.

Kickers who had a worse percentage last year:

Bullock
Janikowski
Crosby
Carlson
Maher
McManus
Catanzaro
Hauschka
Santos
Parkey
Bailey
Sturgis
McCrane
Boswell
Gonzalez

If you added up all of Trubisky's INTs from Training Camp, Family Fun Night at Soldier field, and last week's game, he would have a worse INT percentage than Nathan Peterman.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you added up all of Trubisky's INTs from Training Camp, Family Fun Night at Soldier field, and last week's game, he would have a worse INT percentage than Nathan Peterman.

this

The whole point of what the Bears are trying to do is replicate game situations.....kicking in training camp < kicking in a game....

I think Bears are really trying to emphasize the mental aspect of it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yeah, no doubt. They haven't played in games yet, except for one preseason game. We're left with what we're left with.

The Bears have to evaluate with what they've got. They can't evaluate these guys' performance in regular season games yet because there have been no regular season games yet, and neither has extensive pro experience.

In any case, I'd rather they currently be at 84 percent instead of at 74 percent, even if they *are* only camp/preseason numbers. I'm not sure what else you could go off of....

BPo001

Liked Posts:
Vedvik to the Vikings. I assume that means Dan Bailey gets the boot. My guess is he ends up back in Dallas.