****OFFICIAL TRADE DEADLINE THREAD****

hankleberry

Liked Posts:
With all due respect, hours after the trade deadline is precisely NOT the time to reconstruct.

Yeah, I'm looking ahead to the end of the year, which I'm expecting will be early in October. Yup, I've pretty much given up on this year. We're just not that good. These trades are bandaids. I think ownership has been really committed to doing what they can. A bunch of free agent gambles didn't pay off. The only one of those I think was a terrible idea was Kimbrel. But they did what everyone wanted. I think the window on this team, as currently constructed, is shut.

The absence of BenZo has been a big deal, in my opinion.

I'm not yet familiar with the posting norms here. If I've posted these comments in the wrong place, I apologize.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tony Kemp just last year slashed .263/.357/.413 against right handers; that production would be perfectly fine as a leadoff guy against righties. He doesn't strike out much, has good flexibility in terms of at least 300 innings in LF and CF as well as his time at 2B, and provides speed off the bench.

I would bet that his BABIP progresses well above the current .233 and his AAA slash (.335/.407/.435) shows this isn't some issue where he has a hole in his swing and pitchers are just exploiting it a la Happ.

Considering the cost was a third catcher, that's a great deal for the Cubs.

Weird part is he has a 94 wRC+ this year in a down year for him.

That is superior to Almora and Russell.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm looking ahead to the end of the year, which I'm expecting will be early in October. Yup, I've pretty much given up on this year. We're just not that good. These trades are bandaids. I think ownership has been really committed to doing what they can. A bunch of free agent gambles didn't pay off. The only one of those I think was a terrible idea was Kimbrel. But they did what everyone wanted. I think the window on this team, as currently constructed, is shut.

The absence of BenZo has been a big deal, in my opinion.

I'm not yet familiar with the posting norms here. If I've posted these comments in the wrong place, I apologize.

I would hold off until Sept 1 on those opinions.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Weird part is he has a 94 wRC+ this year in a down year for him.

That is superior to Almora and Russell.
This is not a slam on the new guy, but you are literally comparing him to the guy - Almora - who is dead last in MLB. Everyone is superior.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could see

Kemp 2B
Baez SS
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Castro C
Heyward RF
Happ CF
Schwarber LF

That would be a OK go-to.

But

Kemp 2B
Baez SS
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C
Heyward CF
Castellanos RF
Schwarber LF

That one should see some action also.

But being 100% honest here

Garcia should go down. Same with Happ. They can move Almora to CF Heyward to RF and Bryant to LF and Bote to 3B late game.

As far as a 3rd bat on the bench I would prefer a little more contact than what Garcia and Happ have shown. If Happ has a a solid game today then he should stick. If not it should be Russell.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some break down on Nicholas:

3B has not played sense 2017. -14 DRS. Never gave even value there.
LF: -1 DRS He has only played 38 innings there in his career back in 2016
RF: -6 DRS He has been 1/2 as bad as he was at 3B.

Splits wise:
VLHP: 166 wRC+
VRHP: 93 wRC+

He hits both regardless.

IDK it seems like the starting RF to me.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Some break down on Nicholas:

3B has not played sense 2017. -14 DRS. Never gave even value there.
LF: -1 DRS He has only played 38 innings there in his career back in 2016
RF: -6 DRS He has been 1/2 as bad as he was at 3B.

Splits wise:
VLHP: 166 wRC+
VRHP: 93 wRC+

He hits both regardless.

IDK it seems like the starting RF to me.
Why does it seem he hits both lefties and righties when his numbers vs RH are below MLB average?

And while he may play RF, I see no reason we should play him there simply because that was where Detroit needed him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why does it seem he hits both lefties and righties when his numbers vs RH are below MLB average?

He was in a slump. That 5 hit game was all RHP and he drilled them. He is a complete hitter.

And while he may play RF, I see no reason we should play him there simply because that was where Detroit needed him.

Joe will do as Joe does but that 2nd line up is scary business. When in doubt score runs and protect the lead late.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He was in a slump. That 5 hit game was all RHP and he drilled them. He is a complete hitter.

Joe will do as Joe does but that 2nd line up is scary business. When in doubt score runs and protect the lead late.

So......stats are not indicative of his ability/results? You concluded that his subpar stats don't mean he performs subpar? It's "a slump"?

Wouldn't that apply to every other player with stats that are below average? And if not, why? How do you make that determination?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So......stats are not indicative of his ability/results? You concluded that his subpar stats don't mean he performs subpar? It's "a slump"?

Wouldn't that apply to every other player with stats that are below average? And if not, why? How do you make that determination?

Didn't you watch the video? He was hitting below .200 post ASG. That game was a break out.

But let me spell it out for you in plains english.

Theo paid the 16th and 23rd prospect for 2 months. He is going to get his moneys worth. There will be no short side platoon for that transaction

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Didn't you watch the video? He was hitting below .200 post ASG. That game was a break out.

But let me spell it out for you in plains english.

Theo paid the 16th and 23rd prospect for 2 months. He is going to get his moneys worth. There will be no short side platoon for that transaction
Playing the wrong guy at the wrong time would only make matters worse.

"plains english" :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Four defensive plays that leave a lot to be desired. We're in the 5th inning of a scoreless game.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
One more inning for Kyle, then the bullpen for three (or two).

Score some fucking runs!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Don't worry. Happ is up. Joe plugged him right where he keeps batting with men on.