Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Fish and Phillies pulled the JT deal. SS Sanchez went over so I'm really seeing them making a big play for Manny now. It is the logical move. Seeing how they just went big it puts them in the lead for Manny.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So here's a fun fact.... 2017 Darvish, Bryant and Rizzo posted 3.7, 6.7, 4 fWAR vs 2018 0.2, 2.3 and 2.9 fWAR. That's 14.4 fWAR vs the 5.4 fWAR. Mike Trout last year was worth 9.8 fWAR. Also 2018 cubs won 95 games even without that production. So, they effectively won 95 games while also losing something close in value to Mike Trout. That is also not factoring in other various negatives like chatwood and the bad schedule. Point here being think people are way to pessimistic about the 2019 cubs. There's so much easy ground to gain vs 2018. You don't even have to speculate that young guys will improve. You don't even have to believe in Darvish. Rizzo and Bryant alone were worth 6.5 wins more in 2017.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
So here's a fun fact.... 2017 Darvish, Bryant and Rizzo posted 3.7, 6.7, 4 fWAR vs 2018 0.2, 2.3 and 2.9 fWAR. That's 14.4 fWAR vs the 5.4 fWAR. Mike Trout last year was worth 9.8 fWAR. Also 2018 cubs won 95 games even without that production. So, they effectively won 95 games while also losing something close in value to Mike Trout. That is also not factoring in other various negatives like chatwood and the bad schedule. Point here being think people are way to pessimistic about the 2019 cubs. There's so much easy ground to gain vs 2018. You don't even have to speculate that young guys will improve. You don't even have to believe in Darvish. Rizzo and Bryant alone were worth 6.5 wins more in 2017.

I mean, has anyone here said the Cubs won't be good in 2019?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean, has anyone here said the Cubs won't be good in 2019?

Define good. Chi is saying he thinks they win 85 games. I would say that is being pretty pessimistic for a team that won 95 games last year despite having uncharacteristic performance from the guys I mentioned. As for others, the general sense I get from fans is quite negative heading into 2019 because the team has "done nothing." My entire point is even if they did nothing they have massive upside they don't even have to do much to reach.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Define good. Chi is saying he thinks they win 85 games. I would say that is being pretty pessimistic for a team that won 95 games last year despite having uncharacteristic performance from the guys I mentioned. As for others, the general sense I get from fans is quite negative heading into 2019 because the team has "done nothing." My entire point is even if they did nothing they have massive upside they don't even have to do much to reach.

You have a good point about Darvish, Bryant, and Rizzo. If they get back to their norms it should increase the WAR by 10. So even if Baez drops down to say 4.5, that's still a good increase if everybody else just does their normal things.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
lets think of the positives for this year.

1) No way they try Chatwood in the rotation again
2) LaStella is gone
3) No fucking way the closer bats so he can pitch more than one inning.
4) Chili Davis is gone
5) Jim Hickey is gone

I will believe Joe Madden is back to normal when the first Jugglers or petting zoo shows up, but that will be 6.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Biggest change is if Yu regains 5 WAR pitching value. That gives them a legit Ace and the rotation lines up better against the league best rotations.

On the O side it really falls on Brizzo. Bryant was hurt. Rizzo posted his career norm from May-Sept. April was just that bad.

The reality is if Bryant came back late season at 100% then the Brewers wouldn't have caught up. And in a 5 games the Cubs would have held the edge. They would have lost vs LAD also.

This year IMO you really can't predict until Harper and Manny are settled. Either signing to a contender weighs heavy in favor to that team. Manny more so.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
lets think of the positives for this year.

1) No way they try Chatwood in the rotation again
2) LaStella is gone
3) No fucking way the closer bats so he can pitch more than one inning.
4) Chili Davis is gone
5) Jim Hickey is gone

I will believe Joe Madden is back to normal when the first Jugglers or petting zoo shows up, but that will be 6.
Got no use for the best PH in baseball?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
85 wins because teams in their division got better while they stayed the same...
They have alot of question Mark's as far as what were gonna get from players because of inconsistencies and age..

Contreras: he gonna be the 250 hitter little power or 270 hitter with some power

Rizzo: needs to stay consistent and not fall into long periods of slumps

Baez: can he contain or stay close to his MVP performance or will he have a dropoff and if so, how big of one

Zobrist: had a crazy career year last year, odds are against that at age 38 he will repeat it, more likely to have a dropoff

Bryant: injuries hampered him, need him to bounce back

Schwarber: is he gonna break out and be what everyone expected in his 3rd full season or is this what he his, a low 200 hitter, 25+ HR guy who walks alot, and low runs production

Almora/Happ : who knows what were gonna get there

Heyward: he had a hot couple of months which gave him a respectable. 270 Avg , but he still sucked for the most part.dont expect much from him

Caratini Bote Descalso: the bench

Lester: gonna be 35, so far in his 4 yrs he been back n forth, between bad and good years ..

Hamels: gonna be 35, will he be 2017/1st half 2018 Hamels or 12 starts with Cubs Hamels

Darvish: ??????

Hendricks: gotta keep being Kyle Hendricks

Quintana: still waiting for him to figure it out and be consistent

Bullpen: some of you think its strong, I think it 4-5 guys needs to be top notch and then a prayer

I do see the potential with the offense and especially the SP to be very good if some play better then they have the last year or two and some just play to their capabilities..

until I see during this season, Contreras Schwarber Happ Almora and Heyward play good consistent ball most to all season, see if Baez and Zobrist can play close to or as well as they did last year, and if Rizzo and Bryant can return to MVP or close to it form, I'm going to he skeptical about the offense that struggled big for the most part last year.

The SP, I think can be their strength this year if they all pitch to their capabilities, but it could also be a disaster if Lester not as good as last season, Hamels is more the 1st half Hamels with Rangers then the 12 games with Cubs, Darvish just never gets going, and Quintana continues to be inconsistent

Bullpen comes down to Edwards Strop Cishek Montgomery and when he returns Morrow being consistently good all year, plus having another arm or two step up and get the job done.
Potential there, just a matter of them being able to do it all year

So yes, 85 wins because this is a team that instead of acquiring players that can help, their counting on players to either figure it out and/or return to form after a down year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
85 wins because teams in their division got better while they stayed the same...
They have alot of question Mark's as far as what were gonna get from players because of inconsistencies and age..

Contreras: he gonna be the 250 hitter little power or 270 hitter with some power

Rizzo: needs to stay consistent and not fall into long periods of slumps

Baez: can he contain or stay close to his MVP performance or will he have a dropoff and if so, how big of one

Zobrist: had a crazy career year last year, odds are against that at age 38 he will repeat it, more likely to have a dropoff

Bryant: injuries hampered him, need him to bounce back

Schwarber: is he gonna break out and be what everyone expected in his 3rd full season or is this what he his, a low 200 hitter, 25+ HR guy who walks alot, and low runs production

Almora/Happ : who knows what were gonna get there

Heyward: he had a hot couple of months which gave him a respectable. 270 Avg , but he still sucked for the most part.dont expect much from him

Caratini Bote Descalso: the bench

Lester: gonna be 35, so far in his 4 yrs he been back n forth, between bad and good years ..

Hamels: gonna be 35, will he be 2017/1st half 2018 Hamels or 12 starts with Cubs Hamels

Darvish: ??????

Hendricks: gotta keep being Kyle Hendricks

Quintana: still waiting for him to figure it out and be consistent

Bullpen: some of you think its strong, I think it 4-5 guys needs to be top notch and then a prayer

I do see the potential with the offense and especially the SP to be very good if some play better then they have the last year or two and some just play to their capabilities..

until I see during this season, Contreras Schwarber Happ Almora and Heyward play good consistent ball most to all season, see if Baez and Zobrist can play close to or as well as they did last year, and if Rizzo and Bryant can return to MVP or close to it form, I'm going to he skeptical about the offense that struggled big for the most part last year.

The SP, I think can be their strength this year if they all pitch to their capabilities, but it could also be a disaster if Lester not as good as last season, Hamels is more the 1st half Hamels with Rangers then the 12 games with Cubs, Darvish just never gets going, and Quintana continues to be inconsistent

Bullpen comes down to Edwards Strop Cishek Montgomery and when he returns Morrow being consistently good all year, plus having another arm or two step up and get the job done.
Potential there, just a matter of them being able to do it all year

So yes, 85 wins because this is a team that instead of acquiring players that can help, their counting on players to either figure it out and/or return to form after a down year

It is never 1 extremely or the other. You play the mean.

I expect Bryant and Rizzo back.

Zo and Baez to degrade

Yu to improve over Montgomery
Lester to degrade.

Schwarber has shown improvement over all but his splits vs left are a glaring weakness. I don't know if he can close that gap. I see a platoon here.

Contreras was all star quality. His last 2 months tanked. But when you see that he was leading baseball in innings at that point it points towards Caritiani sucking so bad that if forced that choice

Improving the back up improved Contreras

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Just because you're in a good division with two or three improved teams doesn't mean they all win mid-80s to low-90s... <cough, cough>2018 AL East<cough, cough>

-Doug

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just because you're in a good division with two or three improved teams doesn't mean they all win mid-80s to low-90s... <cough, cough>2018 AL East<cough, cough>

-Doug
Maybe because the AL Central was a laughingstock of a division outside of Cleveland and they all beat up on the Orioles , who won only 47 games..

I don't see any division in the NL that going to have 4 teams under 500 and 3 teams with less then 65 wins for the NL Central to beat up on..
I can see the NL having at least 3 500 teams in every division this season

*cough *cough

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maybe because the AL Central was a laughingstock of a division outside of Cleveland and they all beat up on the Orioles , who won only 47 games..

I don't see any division in the NL that going to have 4 teams under 500 and 3 teams with less then 65 wins for the NL Central to beat up on..
I can see the NL having at least 3 500 teams in every division this season

*cough *cough

NL west has 3 shit teams. 1 team that is lurking

C is close packed. No team sucks balls

E will be a dogfight. Only the fish will tank

AL

EAST should stay the same.
C the same
W the same.

Almost a repeat where the A's and the loser of BOS/NYY is the other WC.

I just see no change in teams. The rest are food for these teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could see the Dodgers at 95 wins. Azl tanking should add those wins alone. Col plays any quality ball they should take a WC based off schedule.

NL C this could go anywhere honestly. It really comes down to injury and luck vs anything else. On paper the Cubs have the most talent. They won 95 with injury. So in reality they win when things are not going right. The Crew had 2 career years driving a 96 win season. I just don't see a 2nd perfect storm. But adding a all star quality catcher and getting their ace back lessens the blow.

IMO it is the Brewers division right now going in raw. They did something last year that takes note. I'm not going to brush that off.

Cubs have something to prove. That makes them dangerous.

I really don't see the Cards beating these 2. Adding Goldy is not going to close that gap.

East I see as the true dog fight where if any get 90 wins it will take the division. Hardline: Nats have a slight edge going in. Mets are dangerous but it comes down to rotation health and Cano putting up a all star year. I would hate to face them in a 5 game. I'll leave it at that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yankees offered Machado 7-8 yrs at 220

Probably what the top offers will be for both him and Harper with options mixed in

7-8 yrs and around 30 per with options kicking in after 3 yrs or so

Still think the Cubs/Ricketts should or will suck it up and offer Harper that kind of deal