Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yankees offered Machado 7-8 yrs at 220

Probably what the top offers will be for both him and Harper with options mixed in

7-8 yrs and around 30 per with options kicking in after 3 yrs or so

Still think the Cubs/Ricketts should or will suck it up and offer Harper that kind of deal

As as base salary 25 AAV

But performance bonuses added. Ties into what Boras was talking about in balloon contract

Incentives in contracts allow players to earn additional money by achieving certain predetermined benchmarks. ... Hitters will most commonly trigger incentives based on plate appearances. Some contracts also contain roster bonuses, which reward a player simply for staying on the active roster for a certain number of days.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would offer 8/200. 5 mil bonus per year for 500 PA met. I would add 2 more attainable bonuses. Then year 3 if all bonuses are met in the first 2 years then they are added to the base pay for the duration. That year player opt

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Stats are prohibited but for hitters it really comes down to PA and on the roster now.

So I would give a bonus clause on PA's. All they really can do to find a way to find a loop. 25AAV 5 mil bonus per year that 500PA'S are met. Year 3 base AAV increase to 30 AAV if bonuses are met. Might be a loophole in tax.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yankees offered Machado 7-8 yrs at 220

Probably what the top offers will be for both him and Harper with options mixed in

7-8 yrs and around 30 per with options kicking in after 3 yrs or so

Still think the Cubs/Ricketts should or will suck it up and offer Harper that kind of deal

I still think if you're going to spend that, Machado would be the guy to get.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I still think if you're going to spend that, Machado would be the guy to get.
Machado does fit what they need now

I'd be happy with either one

I think they should go all out and get both....

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I'm more of a Harper guy because he has a much better OBP over his career. For me, the two big bonuses on Machado's resume is his defense is better and his health history versus Harper.

I wouldn't cry at either one being a Cub.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sox offered 7/175 (25m)
Yanks (7or8) 220 think the 8 is more real. 27.5m vs 31+m.

I see it as if you are coming in with 25 per you better be 10+ years.

If you are coming in with a 8 year offer it better be 30 flat or 25 with a 5 mil incentive PA bonus every year.

If they are looking at a shorter deal it better be closer to 30 with a bonus or 35 strait.

I just see the owners trying to strong arm them into taking less. I dont blame them for holding out.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Sox offered 7/175 (25m)
Yanks (7or8) 220 think the 8 is more real. 27.5m vs 31+m.

I see it as if you are coming in with 25 per you better be 10+ years.

If you are coming in with a 8 year offer it better be 30 flat or 25 with a 5 mil incentive PA bonus every year.

If they are looking at a shorter deal it better be closer to 30 with a bonus or 35 strait.

I just see the owners trying to strong arm them into taking less. I dont blame them for holding out.

The owners will win unless what every agent prays for happens. That prayer being one owner breaks ranks and gives in to the player's request. I'm not siding with the owners. It's just the matter of if you're only getting offers up to a certain amount, you can take one or take none.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
It's all in the value to your market. If you make the perfect car, will never need gas and will never break down, but you price it a billion dollars, you won't sell any. Doesn't matter how many times you try to shame your market into buying it at a billion smackers by extolling how it's the best car ever made. If no one will pay a billion for it, it ain't worth a billion.

If no one will pay a quarter billion for 8 years of Machado or Harper, that doesn't mean it's collusion. It means your market ain't willing to pay that, pure and simple. You have to sell for what the buyer is willing to pay, or you won't sell. Something Boras has never learned...

-Doug

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almora and Schwarber trying to convince Machado to take a deal with the cubs..lol
24ff77d6a05fd5cd06d2e9c3496d9fe2.jpg

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Darvish apparently thru a 45 pitch bullpen today and looked really good. He's also apparently added 15 pounds of muscle. Doesn't mean he'll be great but seems like good signs.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Darvish apparently thru a 45 pitch bullpen today and looked really good. He's also apparently added 15 pounds of muscle. Doesn't mean he'll be great but seems like good signs.

It’s encouraging if nothing else. Cubs are having to count of him to bounce back, a bat like schwarber to finally reach his potential, and find some luck in the bullpen to improve this year cuz harper isn’t coming

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It’s encouraging if nothing else. Cubs are having to count of him to bounce back, a bat like schwarber to finally reach his potential, and find some luck in the bullpen to improve this year cuz harper isn’t coming

The #1 for me for the Cubs is they are simply healthy. Give them that and most every problem from 2018 is solved. Second is they don't have half a dozen rain outs in the first 40 games to then have to make up in the last 30 days.

I sometimes wonder if they would have been better off losing that last game to StL and getting the day off.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The #1 for me for the Cubs is they are simply healthy. Give them that and most every problem from 2018 is solved. Second is they don't have half a dozen rain outs in the first 40 games to then have to make up in the last 30 days.

I sometimes wonder if they would have been better off losing that last game to StL and getting the day off.

True but even with perfect health they will need some luck in the bullpen

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only good position player that missed a significant amount of playing time due to injuries was Bryant, so saying their low offensive production was due to being unhealthy is silly to me

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

If they have rain outs this coming year they are fucking screwed. IDK why but MLB gave them a brutal final two months. They are scheduled to have 5 days off in 2 months.

cubs-schedule-2019.png