Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont need to get the abacus out to figure 30 teams, each one should have 3.

Without the quintana trade, you are looking at 4, without the injury to Alzolay maybe 5

Teams work in Windows. That is why you see top heavy because they are focused. It is never spread out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Because trading him is the same as giving up this year.
Ben Zobrist shouldn't be the difference of winning the division or not..

Not saying their giving up on the season but not making any significant addition to the offense should tell you their thinking for 2019..
Their giving the younger bats the year to basically swim or sink

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I agree if we were talking about this in June and the Cubs were hanging around .500.

But going into the season the line up is suspect. Bryant coming off injury. Rizzo off a down year. Baez suspect on continuing that level. Schwarber suspect vs LHP. Almora a meh hitter. Happ being a incomplete talent. Heyward being a failure.

Losing a solid producer just to open some resource for pitching makes the team worse.

Your points are valid, but we are also talking about short and long term here. Rizzo was fine last season after April, and I'll put that to getting past what happened at his high school.Bryant and Baez have their questions, but Zobrist being here won't fix them. As I said before, the return would have to be known and it's almost certain to be prospects simply because the only "tradeable" asset TB has the Cubs would't want in their defensive wizard CF. I certainly won't entertain ideas of a blockbuster where the Cubs get Snell. Too much of a dream.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I cant see it happening. The only thing Tampa Bay wants him for is to flip him for prospects at the deadline. No way they stay in the hunt with the Red Sox. I dont think the cubs would do that to the guy. Its not like Heyward now where its fuck you you will go to wherever we can trade you, Zobrist was the guy with the clutch hit in the world series and unless its somewhere Zo wants to go, I cant see the cubs doing that to him. I think they try to keep him around with a 2/10 or 12 and that wont happen thinking he signs back with us after the season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ben Zobrist shouldn't be the difference of winning the division or not..

Not saying their giving up on the season but not making any significant addition to the offense should tell you their thinking for 2019..
Their giving the younger bats the year to basically swim or sink

He put up a 135 wRC+. He does matter.

If it was a trade that ended up clearing for Harper then I get it.

If it is clearing for a pen arm then no. Their talent is on the cusp and the depth has been pitching.

I see it as you are losing games by trading Zo. Period.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Your points are valid, but we are also talking about short and long term here. Rizzo was fine last season after April, and I'll put that to getting past what happened at his high school.Bryant and Baez have their questions, but Zobrist being here won't fix them. As I said before, the return would have to be known and it's almost certain to be prospects simply because the only "tradeable" asset TB has the Cubs would't want in their defensive wizard CF. I certainly won't entertain ideas of a blockbuster where the Cubs get Snell. Too much of a dream.

Zo is a stability factor in a instable environment.

Russell is under suspension and when he was here he was a platoon split. To the lesser half.

Bote is a platoon split to the lesser half.

The new guy strangly hit LHP better.

These guys are not starter quality on a legit contender. None are giving league avg production at the plate. Russell is on the same page as Almora. Neither can hit their weight vs the majority of the league.

So they are all situational guys that are pushed into full time gigs due to well lack of well rounded players.
Add to it Rizzo and Bryant are coming off poor seasons and Baez is not proven to be a constant player over 3 WAR. Happ can't hit from the right side. Schwarber loses power vs lefties.

The list goes on. As far as a player that does everything it is Zo. It is what it is. And I'm kinda sick of posts that suggest getting a gain that has no bering on 2019 in return.

Oh Tampa has 54 quality prospects...who gives a fuck about that? That has more to do with them being better at production vs the Cubs because they have not been absorbing top slots in the draft.

To close. The need has been the pen. Clearing payroll to sign a contract for a pen arm is stupid unless it is Kimbrel. Then I do understand it because that is an exception to the rule.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just make you wonder if we were better of going in with Monty or, God forbit, Chatwood at the 5 instead of Hamels. Its gonna get even worse if Darvish is dealing with Lester and Hendricks and Quintana is OK. This whole off season of fixing the pen with a legit closer is balancing against this option for Hamels.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just make you wonder if we were better of going in with Monty or, God forbit, Chatwood at the 5 instead of Hamels. Its gonna get even worse if Darvish is dealing with Lester and Hendricks and Quintana is OK. This whole off season of fixing the pen with a legit closer is balancing against this option for Hamels.

Theo wanted Cole on a waver pick and didn't want to pay what Philly wanted. He ended going to Texas. So there was always a want factor going into that trade and resign.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Theo wanted Cole on a waver pick and didn't want to pay what Philly wanted. He ended going to Texas. So there was always a want factor going into that trade and resign.

you are comparing a 31 year old Hamels to the 35 year old.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Given the apparent way the offseason has played out I really don't think it matters with regard to Hamels. I'd rather have a #5 starter of his caliber than the bullpen piece(s). Now maybe there's a case to be made they could have gone after harper/machado but maybe not. I don't think we'll know that until we see final numbers on both. And even then I think it's kind of debatable because if you get the pre-August cubs from 2018 they didn't need Harper or Machado. In fact, early in 2018 what they needed was better starting pitching.

Honestly, I'm sort of glad they appear to be out on Harper/Machado. I prefer Machado out of that group but who I really want as the cubs SS is Lindor who's a FA in 3 years. Not throwing down big money now allows them to be flexible in the coming years. They have a lot of money coming off the books next year and theoretically may end up with a draft pick if Hamels pitches well

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Given the apparent way the offseason has played out I really don't think it matters with regard to Hamels. I'd rather have a #5 starter of his caliber than the bullpen piece(s). Now maybe there's a case to be made they could have gone after harper/machado but maybe not. I don't think we'll know that until we see final numbers on both. And even then I think it's kind of debatable because if you get the pre-August cubs from 2018 they didn't need Harper or Machado. In fact, early in 2018 what they needed was better starting pitching.

Honestly, I'm sort of glad they appear to be out on Harper/Machado. I prefer Machado out of that group but who I really want as the cubs SS is Lindor who's a FA in 3 years. Not throwing down big money now allows them to be flexible in the coming years. They have a lot of money coming off the books next year and theoretically may end up with a draft pick if Hamels pitches well

Right now I would place him only behind Hendricks. Q has been HR prone and Lester's walk rate has risen. Yu still has to prove himself.

Cole was a solid signing. They didn't need to gamble on Smyly. IMO Smyly will be on a innings limit and they didn't want to be handcuffed.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Russell has never been a platoon split, nor should he be.

Argue if you want whether he should be gone due to off field issues, but on the field he is a valuable starting full time major league SS.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Lindor and/or Trout are pipe dreams. In 3 years, Cubs will be spending all their money on Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras. There will be next to nothing left for big FAs and Ricketts showed his hand this offseason that he's a cheap penny pinching bastard.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Lindor and/or Trout are pipe dreams. In 3 years, Cubs will be spending all their money on Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras. There will be next to nothing left for big FAs and Ricketts showed his hand this offseason that he's a cheap penny pinching bastard.
and from the softer side of MLB

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Yep, cheap guy spending over 225 million already this year.

Bryant and Baez for certain if they keep producing. Rizzo? Cubs have options on him until he's 32. Not sure if they'll pay big to bring him back. Contreras? Their top prospect is a C so that's no guarantee.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Russell has never been a platoon split, nor should he be.

Argue if you want whether he should be gone due to off field issues, but on the field he is a valuable starting full time major league SS.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=14106&position=SS&season=2018

30% below league avg wRC+ vs left. You lose production.

Russell gave a 13 DRS. Baez ended up with a 3.

I'm not even sure why this is a thing with you honestly. The facts don't support you opinion.