Offseason Stuff

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
36 year old Romo / unproven experiment Winkler / always injured Morrow are the potential adds to the pen.

I wonder how in the world they’re going to shed cause everyone knows this team wants to shed and can low ball everything.

Like I get the sentiment here but TBQH I think the answers to a lot of the cubs bullpen questions are internal. I mean look at what Ryan and Wick did last year. You have kimbrel who hopefully will be closer to his past self with a normal offseason. And I really think Wieck could be a pretty good lefty for them. So that's 4 of your 8 bullpen guys already. Mills and/or Chatwood likely end up in the pen as long guys and both were pretty good last year. So realistically you're only talking about a lefty and 2 other guys. I'm 100% ok with them gambling on 3 guys being able to fill one spot. Like If you're counting on Morrow as the 8th guy in your pen rather than your closer it's an entirely different equation. Mekkes is another internal option. Walks were up too high last year and it hurt him but he's god legit strike out stuff.

Point here is everyone gets tired of the cubs never developing pitching but then gets mad when they don't want to spend money on better relievers. Like me personally, I'm ok with taking a shot at some of the internal arms they have and bringing in some crusty guys like Morrow to maybe surprise you in ST and be a happy surprise.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
A's and 2 unnamed teams in on Romo. I would be happy with that signing.

To protect Short at this point means he is depth. So using him as such is on the table.

Amaya was a protection because he is a top 100 and a year+ out.

Short was in Iowa already.
Right, like I posted, and he hit .211 in 41 games, not so small sample size.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I get the sentiment here but TBQH I think the answers to a lot of the cubs bullpen questions are internal. I mean look at what Ryan and Wick did last year. You have kimbrel who hopefully will be closer to his past self with a normal offseason. And I really think Wieck could be a pretty good lefty for them. So that's 4 of your 8 bullpen guys already. Mills and/or Chatwood likely end up in the pen as long guys and both were pretty good last year. So realistically you're only talking about a lefty and 2 other guys. I'm 100% ok with them gambling on 3 guys being able to fill one spot. Like If you're counting on Morrow as the 8th guy in your pen rather than your closer it's an entirely different equation. Mekkes is another internal option. Walks were up too high last year and it hurt him but he's god legit strike out stuff.

Point here is everyone gets tired of the cubs never developing pitching but then gets mad when they don't want to spend money on better relievers. Like me personally, I'm ok with taking a shot at some of the internal arms they have and bringing in some crusty guys like Morrow to maybe surprise you in ST and be a happy surprise.
Bullpens are up and down every year. Last year there was bullpen epidemic across the league.

I find it funny when people act like it was only the Cubs. You could run out the same bullpen and get different results year to year.

Kintzler was amazing last year. The year before people wanted him off the team. Its selective memory.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Here's what I'd like to know... how the fuck is there still no resolution to Bryants service time shit? It's been 5 fucking years.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Bullpens are up and down every year. Last year there was bullpen epidemic across the league.

I find it funny when people act like it was only the Cubs. You could run out the same bullpen and get different results year to year.

Kintzler was amazing last year. The year before people wanted him off the team. Its selective memory.
Nats did not have a great bullpen either, so I guess it’s fairly a crap shoot in the postseason (as long as you have decent SPs).

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Don't know too much about the first guy.

2nd guy I could say the same thing. Don't know too much about who he is anymore.

So to be honest this is just tossing random stuff on a fire to see what burns vs really looking at what they are putting on the burner.

Regardless I do expect them to go with Ryan and Wick as their main set up's and then they are just stockpiling timber.

Well well seems like Mr. Morrow is back on a small contract.
I personally like it do to the low risk but how about you all?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It's fine. If he's healthy he's a big add for a very low cost and either way you're not expecting him to close.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He says he feels great, but we shall see. But he certainly pitched well when healthy. Low risk, possibly a very nice reward.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Probably couldn't take the risk but wish the Cubs could have landed Kluber.
Know he came back with his fastball down 2mph but the package the Rangers gave up was close to nothing.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Probably couldn't take the risk but wish the Cubs could have landed Kluber.
Know he came back with his fastball down 2mph but the package the Rangers gave up was close to nothing.
I saw a headline on espn that the rangers could have the best rotation now...did I miss them getting some other pitchers? Their rotation was pretty brutal last year

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
a few sources say we are in agreement with Nick, maybe waiting for a move to be made, Bryant, Heyward maybe?

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
I saw a headline on espn that the rangers could have the best rotation now...did I miss them getting some other pitchers? Their rotation was pretty brutal last year
Minor and Lynn did have quietly good seasons but the best? I don’t think so either.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
a few sources say we are in agreement with Nick, maybe waiting for a move to be made, Bryant, Heyward maybe?
A lot of writers are writing it off but you really can’t tell. If they do sign him the likelihood of Scwarbs being around would probably be close to none as well.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that it means there were no serious offers and it was 100% payroll cut.

Most likely teams were looking to offset cash with better returns. Cle most likely just was looking at the best return for 0 off set. And that was it.

Cubs situation just becomes more clear. They can not add to payroll and are mandated to get under tax.
Some reporters are saying that the renovations are what’s the cause of the budget constraints but do you buy it at all?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
A lot of writers are writing it off but you really can’t tell. If they do sign him the likelihood of Scwarbs being around would probably be close to none as well.
It's very creepy when grown men give other grown men nicknames

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some reporters are saying that the renovations are what’s the cause of the budget constraints but do you buy it at all?

nope. They are resetting tax, that is it

CSF77

Liked Posts:

It would be Bryant being traded that would engage the signing. A lot of this has been debunked as bar room talk vs actual resource

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
It would be Bryant being traded that would engage the signing. A lot of this has been debunked as bar room talk vs actual resource
Bryant will be getting somewhere around 18-20M right? The assumption is that Nick will get close to that number yearly as well. Don’t they need to get rid of some more to rest it though?