OJ Mayo

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Memphis didn't give him a qualifying offer and he's now a UFA. Any chance the Bulls try and sign him? They've been interested in him before

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Memphis didn't give him a qualifying offer and he's now a UFA. Any chance the Bulls try and sign him? They've been interested in him before

don't have the $$.

I'm sure a team out there will give him over 7 million a year.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
we could possibly do a sign and trade

what would we offer tho?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If it's a S&T, then all you need is a 2nd round pick.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Mayo?

Rose
Mayo
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Yes!

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
If it's a S&T, then all you need is a 2nd round pick.

No you have to match salary if he gets a 7m a year deal you would have to send that much back to Memphis (unless you had cap room). Memphis isnt in the mode of taking on money they are up against the tax doubt they do a S&T unless you throw in the Bobcats pick and even then doubt they do it.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
I would be all for O.j Mayo joining the Bulls.
O.J Would provide are scoring needs perfectly, especially when Rose is back.
He's still young and would provide the Bulls a good service hats needed for years.

But unfortunatly in the Real world, Its not going to happen.
Jerry Reinsdorff will never ever under any circumsatnce, go over the salary cap.
Plus Pax isn't creative enough and its not in his nature, to pull off a sign and trade deal like that.
Its too bad.
Another major factor is that Jerry raised the ticket prices for next season and has been sold out.
With that being the truth, The business side of the orginization probably don't feel like they have to trade or sign anybody. They are already payed for next year regardless.
The owner probably feels this is a time to just save money and ride out the season as is, and make a shot at upgrading the roster more significantly in the summer of 2013 unless a steal comes up for the taking before then.....
:shrug:

I don't believe Pax and his puppet Gar are going to make any major changes or signings .

What you see pretty much is what the Bulls roster will be next season minus Deng and Rose.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd go for it if possible, but yeah we don't have the money to sign him outright unless he agrees to sign for less with us. I don't see a young player like him doing that...he's gonna go for as much money as he can get, especially with the crappy past 2 seasons he's had.

Maybe S&T Asik for him? I'd try that, but otherwise idk what else we could offer. Perhaps a combo of Kover/Brewer/Watson since Memphis can just waive them afterwards since they are unguaranteed at least partially.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
like bleacherbum said they aren't lookin to add salary because of the tax

smallandpettypat

guy with a pointy stick
Liked Posts:
No you have to match salary if he gets a 7m a year deal you would have to send that much back to Memphis (unless you had cap room). Memphis isnt in the mode of taking on money they are up against the tax doubt they do a S&T unless you throw in the Bobcats pick and even then doubt they do it.

What about with a trade exception? I think (but I'm not sure) that teams get one a year. They would be able to make the trade for a 2nd round pick, but they'd still be over the cap and have to pay the luxury tax. If Riensndorff would be willing to pay the tax could they do it? The rules are so byzantine I feel like you need a law degree to figure this shit out sometimes.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
What about with a trade exception? I think (but I'm not sure) that teams get one a year. They would be able to make the trade for a 2nd round pick, but they'd still be over the cap and have to pay the luxury tax. If Riensndorff would be willing to pay the tax could they do it? The rules are so byzantine I feel like you need a law degree to figure this shit out sometimes.
No you dont get one a year the only way you get TPE are......

by trading a player to a team who has a trade exception or cap room without acquiring anything back. For example, Toronto has a trade exception of 7.6 million from the Barbosa trade that from last year's trade deadline. You can also get one if you acquire less salary back in a trade.

When LBJ signed with the Heat the Cavs did a S&T to get a huge 16m dollar TPE they ended up not using it as they expire at the end of the league year. When you use a TPE you cant split it up either say you want two guys for 8m a piece you cant do that.

To my knowledge I dont think the Bulls have one.

so in theory if TOR wanted to get OJ Mayo (after they use their cap space this summer) they could sign him for 7.6m even though they dont have cap room BUT OJ Mayo and the Grizz would have to agree and Im pretty sure the Grizz would agree because they dont want him back.

But sign in trades dont allow the extra year anymore like under the old CBA. Only Reason LBJ and Bosh did a S&T was to get the 6th year that you cant get unless a team with your Bird rights signs you.

so Now the max Deron Williams can get for example in a S&T is 4 years not the 5 that is allowed under bird rights with the new CBA. In theroy it should help fring stars ex:Loul Deng Danny Granger Rudy Gay ECT. Be more inclined to resign with their former teams.

and yes pretty complex stuff and I am still learning the new CBA. The old CBA I knew almost everything but the new one is a bit different in a ton of areas. Larry Coon's FAQ on the CBA is a must if you have any questions on any CBA related questions.

Last edited:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
and a more recent example Dallas just did a 4 way today trading Odom to LA and Mo Williams to the Jazz (they had a TPE for 11.5m from trading Okur to the Nets last year for a 2nd rd pick)

and the Mavs got a TPE for the amount of Lamar's deal I think around 8m. Smart trade for the Mavs considering they were gonna cut him if no one would of traded for him.

there were a few euross traded around to make the deal work but most of them aren't NBA material IMO.