OLB Ryan Kerigan

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Once he becomes a FA, should he be viewed as the pass rusher opposite Mack? He could be a poor man's version of DeMarcus Ware in Denver(with Von Miller). He won't have a high price tag and could be a low risk, high reward signing. He'll be 32 come next season so its doubtful he gets a long term deal from any team. His signing would effectively end the Floyd experiment and may even put him on the trade market.
Thoughts?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Bears should trade Floyd regardless, unless the return makes absolutely no sense.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I would love to sign Kerrigan for strictly personal reasons. I played against him in high school and still have the game film of me blindsiding him across the middle when he played tight end.

Honestly though I think he would be a good pick up. He has still been pretty productive and would probably offer more than Floyd as a pass rusher at this point.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Once he becomes a FA, should he be viewed as the pass rusher opposite Mack? He could be a poor man's version of DeMarcus Ware in Denver(with Von Miller). He won't have a high price tag and could be a low risk, high reward signing. He'll be 32 come next season so its doubtful he gets a long term deal from any team. His signing would effectively end the Floyd experiment and may even put him on the trade market.
Thoughts?

I'm down with replacing Floyd with any OLB that can get to the QB. I think Floyd is a good player because he's good against the run and pretty good in coverage and once in a while puts pressure on the QB but he just doesn't get enough sacks to be our starting OLB opposite Mack. Before the season started when they hired Pagano and talked about how he's gonna keep pretty much the same defensive system in place that Fangio ran, i didn't realize how much he was gonna do that and thought he'd at least be blitzing more often but that didn't seem to happen and if it's gonna stay that way then we have to have another OLB that can get to the QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can cut Floyd...his money is only guaranteed for injury.....who would trade for Floyd at 13m?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Kerrigan isn't a FA til 2021, although WAS could cut him for full return, he has no dead money left. I have no idea if they are interested in doing that or not.

If Bears are going to replace Floyd, would prefer they go for Judon or Jenkins before kicking the tires on Kerrigan. If he's willing to sign in the 2-4M a year range though, he could be a very nice Lynch replacement.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not Robert Quinn? He's on a one year deal with Dallas (AFAIK)and has been very effective.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've watched kerrigan play recently, he is getting much more than 2-4 in a highest bidder scenario.
Kerrigan isn't a FA til 2021, although WAS could cut him for full return, he has no dead money left. I have no idea if they are interested in doing that or not.

If Bears are going to replace Floyd, would prefer they go for Judon or Jenkins before kicking the tires on Kerrigan. If he's willing to sign in the 2-4M a year range though, he could be a very nice Lynch replacement.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Im a fan of saving money as Floyd has been mediocre all year. I’m a huge fan of any move that allows the bears to spend more draft capital on offense as well. I realize the bears need OLB help but the offense is so bad they can’t afford to be drafting defense early on.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Kerrigan has been very productive his previous 7 seasons. Heck, even this year he has 5.5 sacks, 1 FF, 14 QB hits, 6 tackles for loss, 25 tackles and 1 PD in 12 games. That's better than Floyd's 3 sacks, 11 QB hits, 3 TFL, 34 tackles, no PDs. And better than Lynch.

I would think Wash will want to re-sign him. But if they don't, Kerrigan would be a good rotational OLB.

I'd like to re-sign Floyd as a rotational player, and rotational price, too.

But like you said, we might be able to do better than Kerrigan.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You can cut Floyd...his money is only guaranteed for injury.....who would trade for Floyd at 13m?
They would presumably work out a deal with him. He's either in the wrong position in a 3-4 or in the wrong scheme altogether

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Im a fan of saving money as Floyd has been mediocre all year. I’m a huge fan of any move that allows the bears to spend more draft capital on offense as well. I realize the bears need OLB help but the offense is so bad they can’t afford to be drafting defense early on.

one out of 4 snaps Floyd is on the field he is dropping in pass coverage because he is better than Nick and whoever is next to him. Would be interesting to see if he rushed the passer every down.

They have dead money at every position in need on offense and will have it for a while.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Washington appears ready to move on from him. But it is Washington, one of the few bigger shitshows than the Bears.

msadows

Liked Posts:
To all those saying trade floyd...I don't see it.

Who would want to pay him 13+ million for mediocre productions(Which is a top 5 OLB salary), and on top of that trade away assets?

If we wanted to trade him we should have done it before this season when his contract was some what appropriate for his level of play. Unfortunately I feel like that window has closed.

My guess is they will try to reneg a new deal that is considerably less than the 13m he makes this year. Around 8m. If floyd declines they will cut him.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
To all those saying trade floyd...I don't see it.

Who would want to pay him 13+ million for mediocre productions(Which is a top 5 OLB salary), and on top of that trade away assets?

If we wanted to trade him we should have done it before this season when his contract was some what appropriate for his level of play. Unfortunately I feel like that window has closed.

My guess is they will try to reneg a new deal that is considerably less than the 13m he makes this year. Around 8m. If floyd declines they will cut him.

They wont cut him even if he declines. He would play out his last year on his deal and that's it. Its 99% unlikely he even gets traded. He'd be a beast if he was actually in the right scheme that didn't require him to produce at rushing the passer.

msadows

Liked Posts:
They wont cut him even if he declines. He would play out his last year on his deal and that's it. Its 99% unlikely he even gets traded. He'd be a beast if he was actually in the right scheme that didn't require him to produce at rushing the passer.

13m is a lot of money for someone who gives you 4 sacks a year. Bears have a chance to save that cap room. I think they do it.

Would you rather have Scherff or Leonard Floyd. They would cost the same essentially.

Or you could have both Hooper and Kwiat/Danny T for the same price as floyd.

Obviously you still need to replace him, but those 4 sacks won't be incredibly hard to replace.

Then again I know pace loves his draft picks so he will prob let leonard play the 5th year out.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They would presumably work out a deal with him. He's either in the wrong position in a 3-4 or in the wrong scheme altogether

they'd have to work out that deal before any trade would be made....I wouldn't trade a damn thing to give 13m to Floyd.