OT - Chip Kelley = Pete Carroll

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
crazy that both left a successful program immediately before the NCAA threw the hammer down on them

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ellyera-violations-at-oregon-punished-by-ncaa

Coach Chip Kelly's current team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will continue to take shape at next month's training camp. Meanwhile, his former team, the Oregon Ducks, will be dealing with its punishment.

The NCAA on Wednesday placed Oregon's football program on probation for three years and took away a pair of scholarships -- one each over the next two seasons -- for recruiting violations during Kelly's watch, John Marshall of The Associated Press reported. The relatively minor punishment does not include a bowl ban.

The NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee on Wednesday also released its report, finding that Kelly and the university failed to properly monitor the program.

Ping

Liked Posts:
I think everyone knew this was comeing, he is lucky he got the NFL gig while he could... Who knows what would have happened if he would of went back to Oregon for another year or two.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
crazy that both left a successful program immediately before the NCAA threw the hammer down on them.

It’s a hell of a coincidence. Gosh, it almost seems like they knew punishment was coming…

Personally I think that the reason Kelly bolted to the NFL is because he thought the punishment was going to be more severe. Probation and one scholarship per year is small potatoes. Kelly probably was expecting a Bowl Ban.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bet it would have been more severe if he was still there.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's no wonder why all these suspensions and arrests are being made in the NFL when the role models for college players are involved in shady business

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, you think they could send a fine his way or something

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, you think they could send a fine his way or something

they figured that coaching the iggles was punishment enough...../hide from Peggers

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find it kind of sad that programs get punished while perpetrators can simply move on.

Head coaches are often only one of the many involved in these types of violations. Wealthy boosters can often do all the damage on their own while the coach turns a blind eye. Other times the Head Coach is directly involved in negotiating the "deals" for recruits. I have no idea which end of the spectrum Kelly was on.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Head coaches are often only one of the many involved in these types of violations. Wealthy boosters can often do all the damage on their own while the coach turns a blind eye. Other times the Head Coach is directly involved in negotiating the "deals" for recruits. I have no idea which end of the spectrum Kelly was on.

I know, but my point is still valid. Who is punished? The HC, the boosters, recruiters? Nope, the kids and the program as a whole are punished while the individuals responsible (whoever they may be) aren't particularly affected.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I find it kind of sad that programs get punished while perpetrators can simply move on.

The NFL actually took a stand against ol sweeter vest from Ohio State and had him suspended when joining the Colts for his Ohio State issue.

They should do something in regards to Kelly since they've got a precedent.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
crazy that both left a successful program immediately before the NCAA threw the hammer down on them

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ellyera-violations-at-oregon-punished-by-ncaa

Coach Chip Kelly's current team, the Philadelphia Eagles, will continue to take shape at next month's training camp. Meanwhile, his former team, the Oregon Ducks, will be dealing with its punishment.

The NCAA on Wednesday placed Oregon's football program on probation for three years and took away a pair of scholarships -- one each over the next two seasons -- for recruiting violations during Kelly's watch, John Marshall of The Associated Press reported. The relatively minor punishment does not include a bowl ban.

The NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee on Wednesday also released its report, finding that Kelly and the university failed to properly monitor the program.

What hammer? It was a slap on the wrist and anyone following this knew it would only be a slap on the wrist because that's all it deserved.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was just talking about this w/ a buddy last night...

My opinion -- the NCAA/NFL need to collaborate on issues like this. I know the NFL doesn't want to hurt the image of "the shield"...but allowing people to screw on entity and join your entity with no consequence is pretty damning, imo.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
Hopefully like Pete he will suck in his first Head Coaching job.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm still waiting on the NCAA to bend the U over the table and do naughty things to our program

Ping

Liked Posts:
I was just talking about this w/ a buddy last night...

My opinion -- the NCAA/NFL need to collaborate on issues like this. I know the NFL doesn't want to hurt the image of "the shield"...but allowing people to screw on entity and join your entity with no consequence is pretty damning, imo.

I think they do, to some degree. Remember the Ohio state players who traded there nick nacks for tattoos or what ever and their NCAA suspension were carried over to the NFL. The problem here is the NCAA is not punishing the guilty party, and the NFL has no right to step in and moderate.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still waiting on the NCAA to bend the U over the table and do naughty things to our program

The U hasn't been good enough the last few years so it wouldn't make a big enough splash. Hopefully(kinda) though, the Golden era will bring a return to glory for the U. And then we can go right back to being punished for being the U

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hear ya co, I'm not sold on golden yet. Although I'm warming up to him, I see a lot of talk but haven't seen the results

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he did pretty good with what he had at his disposal. If he keeps having .500 seasons after a few recruiting classes I'd be ok with making another change, possibly getting a big name from somewhere

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Just to provide some context Oregon was in violation of hiring an external scout (which is normal for big NCAA schools) and not accounting for him properly in their annual books. Because Kelly runs the program he is ultimately responsible, but this is more an administrative thing. For those that think Oregon was like USC look at the end punishments:

USC = vacate 2 wins of their championship season (2004), 2 seasons with no bowl games and 30 scholarships taken away over a 3 year span.
Oregon = 1 scholarship taken away over a 3 year span.

Granted I'm an Eagle fan, so I shaded towards Kelly, but this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of violations, so let's just keep some perspective people.