OT:Christian Laettner HOF?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was watching "Open Court" the other day. I DVR it. It is a NBA TV show with ex players or current players in a round table discussion of multiple topics. It was interesting when they were talking about Laettner. The concensus was he is a top 5 college basketball player of all time. He played on the Dream Team and he was a massive star in college. Kenny Smith said he deserves to be a HOF. Remember, the HOF is not just an NBA HOF. It is basketball in general. What do yall say? Also, Barkley made some interesting points that Laettner would have thrived in todays NBA because he was the ultimate stretch 4. He wasnt fast enough to play the 3, but he wasnt strong enough to play the 4. Teams didnt know how to use him, but todays age he would have fit in well. I thought that was interesting.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He's easily a HOFer based on his college accomplishments. Basketball HOF is completely messed up, to the point where its inconsequential.

I think Laettner would have been more successful in today's NBA. I would hesitate to say that he would have "thrived" or that he was the "ultimate stretch 4". Laettner had good hands and a soft shooting touch, but he didn't have 3pt range. Danny Ferry was a much better shooter than Laettner, for one.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's easily a HOFer based on his college accomplishments. Basketball HOF is completely messed up, to the point where its inconsequential.

I think Laettner would have been more successful in today's NBA. I would hesitate to say that he would have "thrived" or that he was the "ultimate stretch 4". Laettner had good hands and a soft shooting touch, but he didn't have 3pt range. Danny Ferry was a much better shooter than Laettner, for one.
I agree, but I could easily see Laettner evolving his game to 3 point line if he was coming up now.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd agree. HOF based on his non-NBA achievements basically. Would've definitely been better suited for this style of NBA play but who knows if he'd really be that much better. Could've been just another Troy Murphy for all we know

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Thrive" is a bit of a nebulous word so not sure what you mean by that specifically but generally speaking I think in the pace and space era there would have been more of a place for a player like him. He likely evolves some kind of 3pt shot if he is playing today. He wasn't a great athlete in NBA terms. I could see him being an Al Horford type of guy.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
These halls of fame are getting pretty meaningless with the people getting in lately.

He deserves the one shot hall of fame.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I think his college career is enough to get him consideration for the HOF.
But his pro career was pretty pedestrian. He never really was a 4 or 5 and way too tall at damn near 7ft to ever play the 3 position. Several injury plagued seasons and a serial killer personality made him bounce around the NBA.
But again, that college career was remarkable and one of the best IMO.