OT: JR Smith and Iman Shumpert to Cleveland

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That might be the plan, but how many teams will go out of their way to prevent that? I'm guessing at least one.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That might be the plan, but how many teams will go out of their way to prevent that? I'm guessing at least one.
This is the NBA, teams don't prevent other teams from doing shit. They help them out all the time.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is the NBA, teams don't prevent other teams from doing shit. They help them out all the time.
This trade being case in point.

Oh Cleveland, you want to get more perimeter D? Here's a dang good perimeter defender. And, we'll throw in this headcase scorer if you want to keep him.

Oh OKC you want a better SG? Here's this guy who Lebron and Kyrie don't seem to like who is pretty decent and can help you guys out.

Oh NY you want to tank and clear cap space? Take some non guaranteed deals in return for your players. Just get Dalembert out of that contract so we can pick him up too. Kthnxbai

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This trade being case in point.

Oh Cleveland, you want to get more perimeter D? Here's a dang good perimeter defender. And, we'll throw in this headcase scorer if you want to keep him.

Oh OKC you want a better SG? Here's this guy who Lebron and Kyrie don't seem to like who is pretty decent and can help you guys out.

Oh NY you want to tank and clear cap space? Take some non guaranteed deals in return for your players. Just get Dalembert out of that contract so we can pick him up too. Kthnxbai
Clone's got this all figured out.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Either way, it does concern me that they now have someone who could keep Rose in check in the playoffs while LeBron guards Buckets. Of course Shumpert never exactly shut down Rose in New York, but its not necessarily the shutting down Cleveland needs, it the simply bothering a player in a close game (Rose) in order to then let Cleveland's offense do its work.

The Bulls can still expose plenty of this of course. My opinion though is if Rose doesn't stop shooting under 40% though they'll have issues come playoff time.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Either way, it does concern me that they now have someone who could keep Rose in check in the playoffs while LeBron guards Buckets. Of course Shumpert never exactly shut down Rose in New York, but its not necessarily the shutting down Cleveland needs, it the simply bothering a player in a close game (Rose) in order to then let Cleveland's offense do its work.

The Bulls can still expose plenty of this of course. My opinion though is if Rose doesn't stop shooting under 40% though they'll have issues come playoff time.
On the plus side, Rose did alright against Beverley tonight and Shumpert won't do any of that hard foul crap that Beverley does. Or rebound. Or go 6/6 in the first half.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
On the plus side, Rose did alright against Beverley tonight and Shumpert won't do any of that hard foul crap that Beverley does. Or rebound. Or go 6/6 in the first half.
True, its kind of a wait and see approach.

I have 1/19 circled on my calendar, but will LeBron even be back then?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If he's not do we get to call him soft?
Meh, its just we won't have any guide to how Bulls vs Cleveland will really look. Buckets missed the first game if you remember. Not that the regular season reveals everything, but it gives you a good idea.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Wait wait....

JR Smith might get waived too? So you mean I'm *this* close to seeing my potential dream team? All Houston would need to do, is sign JR Smith.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Really like this deal from OKC's standpoint -- giving up a protected future first rounder and the 14th guy on your roster for one and a half guaranteed years of Dion Waiters and his qualifying offer season. Jackson is going to want a ridiculous payday and for whatever reason, both LeBron and Kyrie hated playing with Waiters. He may never be an All-Star, but he's got all the makings and acumen to be a Jamal Crawford/Jason Terry-type guy off the bench, something that's crucial for a contending team. I'm interested to see if Waiters gets any starter's minutes.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Waiters has potential certainly. A change of scenery could be good. I never understood the LeBron/Irving hate for him really.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

Shumpert has been out since December 12th with a dislocated shoulder so he's not even likely to play for a week or two. We'll see how well he does when he gets back.

This was such a desperation move by the Cavs that still makes little sense. It's like an NBA2K trade. This late in the season, a trade like this isn't going to suddenly vault them into the top 3 in the East and still solves none of their matchup problems with the Bulls. It allows Kyrie to not have to guard Rose but Shumpert is not going to lock him down. And it doesn't solve their biggest problem against us, SIZE. Gasol will eat them alive in the post just like he did when we played them back in October. The have ZERO defense against that and that alone will open things up for everyone else. Just a weird weird trade for the Cavs imho.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Shumpert has been out since December 12th with a dislocated shoulder so he's not even likely to play for a week or two. We'll see how well he does when he gets back.

This was such a desperation move by the Cavs that still makes little sense. It's like an NBA2K trade. This late in the season, a trade like this isn't going to suddenly vault them into the top 3 in the East and still solves none of their matchup problems with the Bulls. It allows Kyrie to not have to guard Rose but Shumpert is not going to lock him down. And it doesn't solve their biggest problem against us, SIZE. Gasol will eat them alive in the post just like he did when we played them back in October. The have ZERO defense against that and that alone will open things up for everyone else. Just a weird weird trade for the Cavs imho.
Adding Dalembert would give them size. My guess is they wanted Dalembert in the trade, but couldnt work it salary wise. They are hoping he clears waivers...and I'm positive he will.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
poor Durant is never gonna get the ball now with Russy and Dion on his team

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Adding Dalembert would give them size. My guess is they wanted Dalembert in the trade, but couldnt work it salary wise. They are hoping he clears waivers...and I'm positive he will.
Yeah that's probably the case. Dalembert will probably do some silly thing like refuse to play for anyone but Cleveland if someone tries to take him. After all, why turn down a guaranteed starting spot and playing time on a supposed championship team?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
im not worried about them getting Sammy D at all....is he even better than Nazr at this point? sightly?

don't really understand the move for Cleveland i had forgot Shumpert was hurt so it makes even less sense now

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shumpert is a lazy, undisciplined scrub. The Cavs are weaker for this trade. I like it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
im not worried about them getting Sammy D at all....is he even better than Nazr at this point? sightly?
Yes because he actually plays? :elephant:

don't really understand the move for Cleveland i had forgot Shumpert was hurt so it makes even less sense now
They really wanted JR Smith ;)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Shumpert is a lazy, undisciplined scrub. The Cavs are weaker for this trade. I like it.
Maybe LeBron talked to him and he won't be anymore? Who fucking knows.

I don't think the Cavs are weaker from this trade, but unless Shumpert becomes that wing defender they need, its more so a lateral move.