OT: Matt LaFleur suffers torn Achilles

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
The All-IR team this season finally has a coach!

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
What is amazing to me is the frequency of these types of injuries these days.

I know LeFleur tore his achilles, but the human knee is just not designed for extreme lateral shear. It's a combination of the deceleration of force and the application of force (these guys are just more powerful) against the knee. The majority of ACL tears are non contact (70%).

We have some of the greatest advancement in therapy and strength protocols in the last two decades.

The result? Higher incident rates.

I realize these sports are not going anywhere, but I will question whether or not I want my children to participate in lateral based sports. The human knee flexes and extends and is best designed for sagittal movement.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shit like this constantly reinforces my decision to stop playing rec league basketball, soccer, etc and just concentrate on running and coaching.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I know LeFleur tore his achilles, but the human knee is just not designed for extreme lateral shear. It's a combination of the deceleration of force and the application of force (these guys are just more powerful) against the knee. The majority of ACL tears are non contact (70%).

We have some of the greatest advancement in therapy and strength protocols in the last two decades.

I realize these sports are not going anywhere, but I will question whether or not I want my children to participate in lateral based sports. The human knee flexes and extends and is best designed for sagittal movement.
Bigger, Stronger, Faster, and I have an uneducated theory that specialization in a sport at a young age does not develop ancillary muscles needed to protect things like your ACL.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised there haven't been any frothy mouth superfan Bears nerds celebrating this injury on CCS yet.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Shit like this constantly reinforces my decision to stop playing rec league basketball, soccer, etc and just concentrate on running and coaching.

The world is becoming so mamby pamby.

I play football, basketball, race cars, and fight MMA all the time at an elite level, the most I get is a mild blister from the joystick, never makes me miss a start.

jonimus

Liked Posts:

I hear ya. This is exactly why my kids are only allowed to run in straight lines playing basketball and football. If I see them cut, they're grounded. I always tell them, the human knee is not designed for extreme lateral shear and the combination of the deceleration of force and the application of force against the knee is just bad (my kids are just more powerful).

Need to turn? No problem. 1,2,3 rule. Come to a complete stop. Count to 3. Then pivot and resume walking in a straight line.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I hear ya. This is exactly why my kids are only allowed to run in straight lines playing basketball and football. If I see them cut, they're grounded. I always tell them, the human knee is not designed for extreme lateral shear and the combination of the deceleration of force and the application of force against the knee is just bad (my kids are just more powerful).

Need to turn? No problem. 1,2,3 rule. Come to a complete stop. Count to 3. Then pivot and resume walking in a straight line.
I'm going to be very pissed if I didn't pick up on his sarcasm, and responded with a legit post.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That sucks, fucking all leg injuries suck but you want to know what is the worst? Stepping on a lego, barefoot

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts: