OT Oregon Justin Herbert

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
At least you’re and honest guy

I think much of it has to do with personnel and system, but the reality is, even on the touchdown to the TE he was inaccurate. The TE just made a great play getting his head around, adjust his body and catching the ball behind him. In the NFL against an average defender that ball is batted down. Against a solid defender its probably picked off. And against an elite one its probably a pick 6. The TE bailed him out on a throw that was behind him.

The coach biffed the playcalling. Which is no excuse for the bad game or why he played poorly. But he showed no confidence in his QB to run up the score. Trying to run up the score is just as risky as playing it safe in todays football. So you might as well take some calculated risks to keep defenses honest. This was a poorly QB'd game as well as a poorly coached game and the two reflected each other's shittiness.

Last edited:

Speed

Liked Posts:
Hope he's not the next guy that went back to school when he should've left and loses a lot of money because it.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Herbert doesn’t have one aspect of his game that’s better than Mahomes.

Your boy Herbert’s accuracy is not great and he can’t throw with anticipation.

Your player evals are trash.

Yeah, he looked like a guy with absolutely no instinct for the position...kind of like a poor man's Cutler. The worst part of Herbert was his inability to feel the rush...he would start running outside the pocket for no reason, at other times he'd stand in the pocket for 8 seconds until he got sacked. His throws were always late, too. No consistency. Maybe he was rusty in the first game of the year, but he's had enough previous starts that it shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps Herbert is Brian Brohm?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, he looked like a guy with absolutely no instinct for the position...kind of like a poor man's Cutler. The worst part of Herbert was his inability to feel the rush...he would start running outside the pocket for no reason, at other times he'd stand in the pocket for 8 seconds until he got sacked. His throws were always late, too. No consistency. Maybe he was rusty in the first game of the year, but he's had enough previous starts that it shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps Herbert is Brian Brohm?

This analysis could not be more spot on. My Herbert thoughts were reaffirmed after watching the Auburn game. He actually looked worse than I originally thought.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This analysis could not be more spot on. My Herbert thoughts were reaffirmed after watching the Auburn game. He actually looked worse than I originally thought.
So no Hometown Herbert forthcoming?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So no Hometown Herbert forthcoming?

Correct. Tua is the QB you want in this draft. I wouldn’t take Herbert in the 1st round.

The CCS Quarterback Guru has spoken.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Correct. Jalen Hurts is the QB you want in this draft. I wouldn’t take Herbert in the 1st round.

The CCS Quarterback Guru has spoken.

FIXED

I've seen Herbert play three times...last year against Stanford, last year against Washington State, and last week against Auburn. All three times Oregon lost. All three times Herbert was the second-best QB on the field. I just don't get it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My lock for the #1 overall pick plays tonight.

Herbert returned to Oregon after being considered a top 5 pick in last years draft. Oregon in my opinion doesn't look like a National Championship team. But Herbert insists that they are and that is why he returned. This guy is trying to put the Ducks on his shoulders this year and win them a title.

Why is Herbert a lock for the #1 overall pick? He quite simply is a pocket passer executing a fast paced offense with total competency. Herbert isn't a perfect fit in the Oregon system at all, but he is so accurate from the pocket that the Oregon Ducks overwhelm defenses with the unpredictability. Watching some of the film on the guy shows that he stands very calm in the pocket and has great vision over the field, giving him a relaxed stance and poise in the pocket. If you watch him deliver some of his deep ball its almost as if he locks in on his target, relaxes, and then delivers a strike. Most QBs in the NFL don't do this. In fact outside of Brady and Rogers I cant say I notice any other quarterback who sets and throws with such a relaxed and focused appearance. Brees, while great, seems to be much more active behind the line and looking intensely and firing accurately, something we rarely see successful QBs do. In fact the closest thing to Drew Brees in the NFL is Russell Wilson and I don't think the two of them are even remotely close as far as arm talent, accuracy, and definitely not production. Herbert does play in a gimmick offense, but its a gimmicky offense not because of Herbert but the personnel around him. Herbert with his accuracy and vision could play on any team and be successful. In my opinion from watching him he is accurate all over the field at every distance and is a solid thrower on the run.(Although in the NFL he should not do this often) In the NFL scheme and personnel are important in making QBs successful but there are exceptions. Some QBs are successful with any WR corps and scheme, reason being, can find the open targets at any and every level on the field and deliver a strike given the time. Smith couldn't throw the long ball, Wilson cant read defenses all the well, Lamar Jackson depends on the run game to play pitch and catch off the threat of his legs.

If there is a problem with Herbert or there is going to be one it is going to be the speed of the NFL game and keeping that calm delivery when setting to throw, I think he can get under center and make all the pre snap adjustments within a year or two in a system, long term though he has an arm you can build around and receivers and route runners will excel with him as their QB. He doesn't create big plays with his leg or with playcalling, he lets the players around him run their routes and hits the open player. Some of Oregons offense is schemed, but the deep throws and the accuracy to the sidelines can't be schemed.

This isn't some stretch to imagine and I might be stating the obvious to a few. But I'm betting on this horse to go #1 and be a real deal QB in the NFL.

Suck for Herbert?

To push us over the top, maybe we should sit Mack, Long, Robinson, Cohen, Burton, Miller, Jackson, Smith and Goldman out for a year.

That is my list of guys I would trust with time off and could use a little body preservation, and contractually make sense to do so for the future.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh shit...

OT is not an offensive tackle. I botched that analysis than. But perhaps if the Bears go 5-11 they could get lucky and have the Cardinals take Tua or something.

I'm with you on Herbert being supperior to Tua, but don't count out the pro-looks of Hurts now either, and I think the QB of the Washington Huskies is going to be pretty good.

If the Bears pick in the top half of the first round, it could be hard to pass on Herbert or Eason for Nagy if Hurts/Tua/Eason/Herbert and others yet to emerge sorta make QB's available all the way to 20?

Its up to Trubs to play his way above that brewing situation.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FIXED

I've seen Herbert play three times...last year against Stanford, last year against Washington State, and last week against Auburn. All three times Oregon lost. All three times Herbert was the second-best QB on the field. I just don't get it.

Yeah...maybe he is like the kid from Penn St nobody understands why the Giants or Jets drafted. I don't even remember his name or where he disappeared to, but it was evident Hutchinson was bad in college. Kinda like Chase Daniel now that you mention it..was the only thing holding back a championship level Missouri team. I mean you can go 9-3...but Missou only had 3 competitive games, so Chase actually was 0-3 that year with like 2 Td's and 6 picks. He was bad when it mattered, and his team was so good there was only a couple games they needed a decent QB to create plays. Chase can't create anything by himself, as long as we understand that and run a complicated offense he can run...I get it. But the guy is the most limitied QB to ever forge a decade+ career in this league. Most limited physically, stand by it.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Yeah...maybe he is like the kid from Penn St nobody understands why the Giants or Jets drafted. I don't even remember his name or where he disappeared to, but it was evident Hutchinson was bad in college. Kinda like Chase Daniel now that you mention it..was the only thing holding back a championship level Missouri team. I mean you can go 9-3...but Missou only had 3 competitive games, so Chase actually was 0-3 that year with like 2 Td's and 6 picks. He was bad when it mattered, and his team was so good there was only a couple games they needed a decent QB to create plays. Chase can't create anything by himself, as long as we understand that and run a complicated offense he can run...I get it. But the guy is the most limitied QB to ever forge a decade+ career in this league. Most limited physically, stand by it.

Disagree with your Chase Daniel take. No one thought of him as an NFL prospect, but he won games and was consistently productive. Missouri's program with Daniel was the best it had been since the Dan Devine days of the 1960's. Daniel was a great college QB.

Herbert is more like Daniel's successor...Blaine Gabbert.

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
Reported. Not Bears related. Put this in the sections that include Hall of Fame players from College of DuPage.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Not sure who looks more like a douche between Herbert/Burrow/Pineiro tho...

Only one of those three was on The Middle prior to becoming a college QB. He tore up Nevada, who were good enough to beat "The Purdue" last week. Weird.