CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I realize it's not the NBA, but an Illinois basketball legend passed away yesterday. It would have been his 51st year coaching.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I realize it's not the NBA, but an Illinois basketball legend passed away yesterday. It would have been his 51st year coaching.

Woke up and saw this. Sad news. He was a legend in HS Basketball and growing up I really didn't get a ton of exposure to some of the schools out int he Chicago area but seeing Hoop Dreams introduced me to him and the St. Joe's program.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
7th all-time nationally for wins by a HS basketball coach.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I knew him, played in the StJ 7th and 8th grade tournaments, my coach's son played at StJ and my coach wound up as an assistant there. Played against him in high school as well. Really old school guy, for better or worse.

This will probably be the end for StJ too. It's been dying for a while.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Glad you posted this thread.

RIP Gene.

Great career.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I knew him, played in the StJ 7th and 8th grade tournaments, my coach's son played at StJ and my coach wound up as an assistant there. Played against him in high school as well. Really old school guy, for better or worse.

I'd like to know more about your thoughts on him. He came across terribly in Hoop Dreams, TBH. I remember there was a lot of controversy surrounding him getting Isaiah Thomas (kind of like when Derrick Rose went to Memphis St.), and in the end he still couldn't win the title with Thomas (like Rose at Memphis St.).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'd like to know more about your thoughts on him. He came across terribly in Hoop Dreams, TBH. I remember there was a lot of controversy surrounding him getting Isaiah Thomas (kind of like when Derrick Rose went to Memphis St.), and in the end he still couldn't win the title with Thomas (like Rose at Memphis St.).
Not a nice guy, but most of the coaches of his generation were like that I think. Mine was, and we all loved him. Knew how to play the Chicago game, obviously. I think Hoop Dreams nailed that part. Guys who went there knew what they were going to get. His team's played great m2m defense. He was a Bobby Knight fan boy and modeled everything on that, for better or worse. Biggest shortcoming as a coach: very rigid.