OT: USA Today : 49ers have a Jimmy Garoppolo problem

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Talks some interesting cap numbers. Also, a key paragraph:

More could legitimately be expected from a guy who the 49ers signed to a five-year, $137.5 million deal after trading a 2018 second-round pick to the Patriots for his services in October 2017. In nine games and eight starts over two seasons with the 49ers, Garoppolo has completed 64.8% of his passes, thrown 12 for touchdowns and given eight interceptions away. Tape study shows a quarterback who still has issues with reading the entire field, and whose explosive plays come from random chance as much as they do from intelligent design. You may remember the three-pick game against the Vikings in Week 1 of the 2018 season; Garoppolo failed to test Minnesota’s coverage and lost potential completions when he didn’t time up with his receivers against Mike Zimmer’s relatively simple (yet brilliantly executed) coverages.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He definitely needs to stay healthy. That's their big problem with him right now.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The 30 million dollar man better produce considering Lynch passed on 3 quarterbacks that are all starters while completely whiffing the 2017 draft.

His last 2 first rounders should produce (McGlinchey and Bosa) just fine. But this will be his 3rd full season and if hte 49ers don't get to at least .500 I think the seat gets red hot.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had a ZERO rating in his first preseason game since his injury. I think he only played a couple of series, but still - a ZERO rating?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The 30 million dollar man better produce considering Lynch passed on 3 quarterbacks that are all starters while completely whiffing the 2017 draft.

His last 2 first rounders should produce (McGlinchey and Bosa) just fine. But this will be his 3rd full season and if hte 49ers don't get to at least .500 I think the seat gets red hot.

I think QB evaluation is so interesting. You have a guy like Lynch who clearly knows more about football than everyone on this message board... yet given the same opportunities as Lynch I’d bet many on this message board could have done a better job with the QB situation simply by dumb luck and reading a few draft sites. QB evaluation is hard as hell even for knowledgeable football guys.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I sure didn't want him for that 1st+ required at the time but I also don't think that he's had enough NFL snaps to know what he is. That last phrase certainly makes his contract suspect.

Protecting himself and throwing picks in the preseason means little. That he hasn't yet been great in the regular season, is injury prone and has a very questionable long ball are bigger concerns that he needs to overcome in 2019.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The 49ers have to be rethinking that 137$ million contract.

On a sports radio show they do down here in Orlando they had the founder of one of those sites but can't remember the name but it was one of those sites that know all about contracts and what kind of outs teams or players have and he was saying that the 49ers have something in that contract where they can get out of it for not a huge cost if they wanted to cut him after this year. He also talked about how the Raiders could get out of the A.Brown contract for not that much if they wanted to. All that contract stuff is too confusing to me so i didn't understand everything he was saying but i know they do have an out if they wanted to cut him after the season.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
On a sports radio show they do down here in Orlando they had the founder of one of those sites but can't remember the name but it was one of those sites that know all about contracts and what kind of outs teams or players have and he was saying that the 49ers have something in that contract where they can get out of it for not a huge cost if they wanted to cut him after this year. He also talked about how the Raiders could get out of the A.Brown contract for not that much if they wanted to. All that contract stuff is too confusing to me so i didn't understand everything he was saying but i know they do have an out if they wanted to cut him after the season.
Yes, he had a HUGE cap hit for 2018 and after this year, he has minimal dead cap money year to year, so he can be easily cut.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think QB evaluation is so interesting. You have a guy like Lynch who clearly knows more about football than everyone on this message board... yet given the same opportunities as Lynch I’d bet many on this message board could have done a better job with the QB situation simply by dumb luck and reading a few draft sites. QB evaluation is hard as hell even for knowledgeable football guys.

Yeah i always say there's no exact science to determining what not only a QB but what any player will become going from college to the NFL because it's such a huge difference in the two. It's easy for any fan to watch some game tape on the internet and read what all the so called draft experts say about each player and saying that guy will suck or that guy will be great but the work these GM's and even more work that the GM's scouts put in on these players is ridiculous.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
#fleeced

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
But @Midway Mitch said he was elite... lmfao.

Don’t put words in my mouth Fry lover.

When he was draft eligible, I was calling him 1st round pick worthy when he was considered a late round pick early in the process.

As you saw, he was rewarded with a top QB contract which validated my eval. You can’t predict injuries. It was a clear #calledit.