Pace and Nagy were talking about the importance of the U tight end

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s alluding to burton disappearing late last year I believe. His production fell

The offense as a whole petered out last year as the last part of the year went on. It wasn't just Burton.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The offense as a whole petered out last year as the last part of the year went on. It wasn't just Burton.
If you’re paid as a top 10 TE in the league you don’t get a pass for fizzling out with the rest of the offense. You’re supposed to be a difference maker.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So he evaluated the talent correctly based off production, but he didn’t have a glass ball to predict he would get injured. What kind of dumb GM can’t predict injuries?
He has spent over 200 million in fa over the years. What is your excuse for all the other bums we were saddled with? It’s the gm job to add talent to the team. It’s not madden they don’t just submit an offer. They do due diligence on players. If the gm that makes 5 mil a year can’t figure out not to sign a back up te with mental issues to 7 mil a year idk wtf do we use then to evaluate the gm?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you’re paid as a top 10 TE in the league you don’t get a pass for fizzling out with the rest of the offense. You’re supposed to be a difference maker.

His year's production did reflect top ten TE production.

All players go thru dry spells. top 10 players included. I don't think you can put all of Burton's lack of production later in the year on him.

I am not defending the money he was paid, but just pointing out he did perform like a top ten TE when you look at the year in whole.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sims-Bust
Shaheen-Bust
Burton-Bust

Dude cannot evaluate the TE position.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the plane to Chicago after the hire.

“It was funny,” Pace recalled. “Literally, the very first personnel conversation we had centered around the tight end.”

and they never talked about it again? Just amazing that they talk about the importance of the U TE in this offense but don’t do jack about it before the season. They should’ve seen burton checked out well before the season started.

I am no apologist but they both clearly thought Burton was the answer and they paid for him. To act as if they were negligent is pathetic.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
And a questionable scratch from the Eagles game. Red flags were all over Bears media.

why do people harping on this. He had a groin flare up and that was the only game he missed. Bad timing, yes. But shit like that happens in football.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
why do people harping on this. He had a groin flare up and that was the only game he missed. Bad timing, yes. But shit like that happens in football.

Being declared out the day before the game does not happen that often when you are not on the injury report.

No showing the entire next season because of a groin injury, does not happen that often.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Being declared out the day before the game does not happen that often when you are not on the injury report.

No showing the entire next season because of a groin injury, does not happen that often.

I don't know what you are trying to say. Since Burton has had a lingering groin injury there is some vast unknown conspiracy going on?

What is your hypothesis about Burton?

What I can state for a fact is that he, statistically, performed like a top ten TE last year. This year he has performed poorly statistically and has been injured half the year. The return on investment has not been there for this position. Nor has it been there for the entire offense. Burton is more a symptom than a cause.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am no apologist but they both clearly thought Burton was the answer and they paid for him. To act as if they were negligent is pathetic.
again, burton was great for the most part last year. They were negligent to a point going into the current season with known issues with burton and still talking up Shaheen. There’s a reason a lot of people wanted the bears to draft a tight end and that was with the expectation that burton was going to come back healthy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know what you are trying to say. Since Burton has had a lingering groin injury there is some vast unknown conspiracy going on?

What is your hypothesis about Burton?

What I can state for a fact is that he, statistically, performed like a top ten TE last year. This year he has performed poorly statistically and has been injured half the year. The return on investment has not been there for this position. Nor has it been there for the entire offense. Burton is more a symptom than a cause.

That he is not tremendously interested about playing football.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
On the plane to Chicago after the hire.

“It was funny,” Pace recalled. “Literally, the very first personnel conversation we had centered around the tight end.”

and they never talked about it again? Just amazing that they talk about the importance of the U TE in this offense but don’t do jack about it before the season. They should’ve seen burton checked out well before the season started.

Pace used a 2nd round pick on a tight end so assumed Shaheen would take the next step to his development, nothing more nothing less.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That he is not tremendously interested about playing football.

Let me get this straight. Burton plays the entire regular season of football and then sits out the lone playoff game because he wasn't interested. On top of that, he has fake off-season surgery to cover up the fact that he didn't want to put in 3 hours of work on Sunday because he wasn't interested.

You should stick to bad mock drafts.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Imagine paying $6mil/year for Dion Sims when you could have had Jack Doyle for the same price.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let me get this straight. Burton plays the entire regular season of football and then sits out the lone playoff game because he wasn't interested. On top of that, he has fake off-season surgery to cover up the fact that he didn't want to put in 3 hours of work on Sunday because he wasn't interested.

You should stick to bad mock drafts.

Surgery was real. It is a 2-4 month recovery.

Yet he is still hobbled by it 6-8-10 months later. That tells me one of 2 things, he either did not put in the time and effort into rehabbing or he is not really interested in being back on the field and the groin is a convenient excuse.

He did not show any desire to come back from this injury. It happens guys who are not fully committed get injured and do not push it that hard to get back, collect the guaranteed money on their deals, and go enjoy the rest of their lives.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does anyone actually think that Burton worked as hard as he could to get back to 100% for this season?

This is not an ACL or an Achilles injury.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surgery was real. It is a 2-4 month recovery.

Yet he is still hobbled by it 6-8-10 months later. That tells me one of 2 things, he either did not put in the time and effort into rehabbing or he is not really interested in being back on the field and the groin is a convenient excuse.

He did not show any desire to come back from this injury. It happens guys who are not fully committed get injured and do not push it that hard to get back, collect the guaranteed money on their deals, and go enjoy the rest of their lives.

So your degrees in psychology and medicine have led you to this decision without ever examining or speaking to Burton?

How do you know he had no desire?

Everything I have heard and read said he was probably playing when it may have been best for him to sit out and that it was killing him he wasn't playing productively.