Pace and Nagy were talking about the importance of the U tight end

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
D.Fells was a nothing before this year and he's really not been anything great this year besides having some games that he's caught a TD pass and i think had one game that he caught 2.

The others have been bums their entire careers and C.Clay is 74 years old.

They are all better than Shaheen.

Cheap insurance is better than no insurance.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They thought wrong, that is on the medical staff.

You have insurance even thought it is unlikely you will need it. Where was the insurance for a guy who was coming off surgery?

Exactly they did think wrong but you can't blame them for going off of what they were told by the doctors which we don't even know what that was. I think everyone agrees that what they did try at TE didn't work but saying they didn't try is ridiculous and i remember quite a few people on here really digging Dax Raymond and pretty sure you were one of them. Him and one other guy did some good things in the preseason. I think it was Horstead or Ives or someone else but the point is they didn't know Burton was gonna be out as long as he was and definitely didn't know they would eventually have to put him on IR. Again....Nobody can see the future.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Exactly they did think wrong but you can't blame them for going off of what they were told by the doctors which we don't even know what that was. I think everyone agrees that what they did try at TE didn't work but saying they didn't try is ridiculous and i remember quite a few people on here really digging Dax Raymond and pretty sure you were one of them. Him and one other guy did some good things in the preseason. I think it was Horstead or Ives or someone else but the point is they didn't know Burton was gonna be out as long as he was and definitely didn't know they would eventually have to put him on IR. Again....Nobody can see the future.

They tried. Barely.

TEs take time to develop and relying on UDFAs to contribute is not a realistic solution.

They needed to sign a cheap veteran who can play at the NFL level.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Pace tried to fill the position with Burton and Shaheen. Both have been huge sunken resources. I mean a 2nd round pick and $20m+ guaranteed and to be left picking up Holtz off the street and a UDFA is borderline criminal in terms of blown evaluations.

At least we can cut Shaheen in the offseason. Burton we are stuck with through 2020.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Let me take you in the way back machine of this thread....

The original premise was that Pace did not address the TE position that Nagy desired....

I said they actually did address it. They signed Burton who was, statistically a top ten TE in 2018....

I then stated they did not have any decent depth on the roster.

Both of my above statements are factually correct.

Christ. And to the bolded, I ADDED that Pace did nothing to address it in 2019. Thanks for the "way-back" trip but I am very well aware of the discussion here.

I pointed out that Pace did not address TE adequately going in this year when Burton was a question mark and Shaheen already looked bust-worthy.

This is also factually correct.

You thought Burton's 2018 mitigated any need to seriously address TE for 2019. I would disagree back then and even more so now given how Nagy seems to need a TE to produce decently.

I am in disagreement with you re: Pace's moves for TE going into 2019. I am not in ignorance of the context, thanks in advance for not treating me like a moron.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They tried. Barely.

TEs take time to develop and relying on UDFAs to contribute is not a realistic solution.

They needed to sign a cheap veteran who can play at the NFL level.

I can't disagree with all of this but UDFA's can contribute which is something that's been proven many times in the NFL. There's plenty of UDFA's that have become stars in the NFL.

It looks like it didn't work unless Jesper shines the rest of this season, which most likely won't happen, but to say UDFA's contributing is not realistic is wrong.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Imagine a second round pick contributing in his third year lol. Go get your GED and virtually fellate R Pace some more, you fucking chowderhead

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you’re paid as a top 10 TE in the league you don’t get a pass for fizzling out with the rest of the offense. You’re supposed to be a difference maker.

If you spend 100k on a Toyota Camry, is it the car's fault when it doesnt perform like a 100k Ferrari?

Umn Nagy and Pace paid a backup TE top 10 money. The fault lies with them.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
If you spend 100k on a Toyota Camry, is it the car's fault when it doesnt perform like a 100k Ferrari?

Umn Nagy and Pace paid a backup TE top 10 money. The fault lies with them.
Pace and Nagy are morons and Pace in particular has no idea what a good TE looks like. Nagy has at least worked with Kelce. I’m just simply saying Burton is not free of not so much blame, because I believe his injury is genuine, but as the TE1, when the TE room is as disastrous as the Bears’ some of it will fall on your shoulders whether it’s justified or not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace and Nagy are morons and Pace in particular has no idea what a good TE looks like. Nagy has at least worked with Kelce. I’m just simply saying Burton is not free of not so much blame, because I believe his injury is genuine, but as the TE1, when the TE room is as disastrous as the Bears’ some of it will fall on your shoulders whether it’s justified or not.

He signed a free agent TE that went from a very part time player to top 4 in TD passes and top 10 in yards his first year with Chicago.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Not saying he is free of blame. I am saying I blame the idiots that paid him top 10 TE money more than I blame Burton for taking it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He signed a free agent TE that went from a very part time player to top 4 in TD passes and top 10 in yards his first year with Chicago.

Which would be great if it were a 1 year deal. Instead it is multi-year deal and Burton has been useless this year. So all told he has not lived up to the contract he signed thru 2 years.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which would be great if it were a 1 year deal. Instead it is multi-year deal and Burton has been useless this year. So all told he has not lived up to the contract he signed thru 2 years.

This goes back to the great, where is your crystal injury ball.

I addressed the fact that Pace did not bring in backup TE last year. I don't think they really had room to add one or the doctors misjudged Burton's injuries

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This goes back to the great, where is your crystal injury ball.

I addressed the fact that Pace did not bring in backup TE last year. I don't think they really had room to add one or the doctors misjudged Burton's injuries

At the end of the day, GMs are judged on results. No one gives a shit about the fact Kevin White, Shaheen or Burton got injured. Plenty GMs and Coaches get fired and none of them have crystal balls so that is a week excuse.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, GMs are judged on results. No one gives a shit about the fact Kevin White, Shaheen or Burton got injured. Plenty GMs and Coaches get fired and none of them have crystal balls so that is a week excuse.

Agreed. But GMs are not 100% correct all the time.

Pace was dead on with both Meredith and Callahan. Retaining those guys would have been a problem if we expected them to produce. He did misjudge Burton's injury for this year.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
if you all played the game IRL you would know that no GM can predict the future

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Not saying he is free of blame. I am saying I blame the idiots that paid him top 10 TE money more than I blame Burton for taking it.
Well yeah. Burton would have to be stupid to say no. Pace is a dumbass for committing that much money to him in the first place.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
His value was great for one season. And then he literally disappeared. How many other players making top 10 money at their position have disappeared the way Burton has? At this point in time it’s a bad deal on Pace’s end.