Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I find that teams that consistently draft well have three things in common: (1) their scouting department has a clear vision as to how a player will fit within the coach's system, (2) they adhere to a solid drafting strategy on draft day, and (3) they are constantly letting draftees leaving through free agency to earn compensatory draft picks. This thread is about the draft strategy.

I for one believe that BPA is a total farce, and an excuse GMs use to either placate fans who disagree with the pick, or to hide facts about their true evaluation process. No, I believe that all GMs have a set of drafting tendencies, which one can only really identify when the GM has been in place for a long time (how many times have I heard a draftee called a "typical" or "classic" Bill Bellichick pick). I had commented a while ago about how Pace seems to gamble on athletes with high ceilings in the first round, and then targets solid players to fill our trenches in rounds 2-3. That made me wonder about whether we had enough information to piece together a general drafting strategy that Pace is adhering to.

Pace's drafts so far:
1 WR Kevin White
2 DL Eddie Goldman
3 C Hroniss Grasu
4 RB Jeremy Langford
5 DB Adrian Amos
6 OT Tayo Fabuluje

1 OLB Leonard Floyd
2 OG/C Cody Whitehair
3 DL Jonathan Bullard
4 ILB Nick Kwiatkoski
4 DB Deon Bush
4 DB Deiondre Hall
5 RB Jordan Howard
6 DB DeAndre Houston-Carson
7 WR Daniel Braverman

Here is my breakdown of the positional tendencies:
In the first round, he added athletic prospects at playmaker positions. OLBs create pressure and sacks, WRs make big catches and can pick up yards in large chunks. Both are athletes, and both looked like gambles at the times they were picked. The risk is probably worth taking, even if you fail, because the first round really is the best place to find impact players.

In rounds 2-3, he added to the OL and DL. Build the trenches to help support the playmaker positions. Notice that both DLmen are considered to have been steals for their draft position. Pace also seems to have really hit on his second round picks so far, blunting the damage that a failed first round gamble can do to your reputation.

In rounds 4-5, he added RBs and DBs, as well as an ILB. Kwiatkoski might be an outlier to the strategy, but I would never argue against adding a solid run-stopping ILB. As for the tendencies, the positions he focused on were the ones that are best describes as support players, because they take advantage of the trenches you built up and make things easier for your playmakers to succeed. A good running game opens up better passing lanes, and a good coverage unit helps give your pass rushers that extra second to turn a hurry/hit into a sack.

In rounds 6-7 there are no positional tendencies. This makes sense, because it is in these rounds where you make an attempt to fill holes in your roster with players who are likely destined for the practice squad, but can be future depth. These guys only see the field on ST or in the event of an injury. Let’s just call these depth/insurance picks. On a personal note, I hate taking a flyer on a QB in these rounds.

TL;DR, Pace gambles on a playmaker in the first round, solidifies the trenches with his second and third round picks, and then picks up support players in the fourth and fifth round.

Pace has been tasked with building a contender from the ground up, and he still hasnt tied himself to a QB of the future. But if he can find the right QB, this is a successful strategy. Pace has not made moves out of desperation as far as I can tell (though with so many holes in our roster, that is hard to assess). He has invested high picks into our OL and DL, which is a good drafting habit to have if you want to get comp picks every year. He grabbed DBs that look like system players, which is fine when your pass rush is working. He selected RBs with diverse traits, which is a positive for a RBBC approach. Now if only he could draft a QB and a TE...

Since we only have two years of draft records on Pace, next year we will be better able to establish which of my observations are his tendencies, and which are merely coincidental. If nothing else, this is the formula I will be sticking to when making mock drafts later in the year.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Can you list the teams that do draft well...

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
BPA is total bullshit. Do you think the Patriots would ever draft a QB in the first round when Brady was in his prime? You draft the BPA for your needs

greg23

Liked Posts:
BPA is total bullshit. Do you think the Patriots would ever draft a QB in the first round when Brady was in his prime? You draft the BPA for your needs

Wow

We agree

Bpa is a joke

So if the bpa every round was the same position, would a gm stick to that philosophy and walk away with 7 qb's...or 7 rb's or 7 wr's?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Can you list the teams that do draft well...

Ok well granted that a big part of that the best drafting teams have had their QB situation settled, which is the biggest key to having a constantly competitive team. That is not something that can be overlooked, and it is my hope that soon we will also be one of the teams that have their QB situation settled.

Just off the top of my head, I would say that the Steelers, Patriots, Bengals, Packers, and Seahawks are all good drafting teams. They each have varying levels of sustained success (from a couple years to well over a decade), without making big splashes in free agency. I really dont want to analyze the rest of the NFL on their individual drafting success, but these teams all fit the mold of playoff candidates who build through the draft.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Wow

We agree

Bpa is a joke

So if the bpa every round was the same position, would a gm stick to that philosophy and walk away with 7 qb's...or 7 rb's or 7 wr's?

Yeah we are all on the same page here. BPA is just a buzzword that GMs use to justify their draft selections with minimum explanation, and that analysts use to sound like they know what they are talking about. Hell I feel like "BPA for your needs" is even far too vague to aptly describe professional NFL drafting strategy.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Pace's 2015 draft looks absolutely horrendous in 2016.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Pace has been pretty great in the later rounds, but he needs to stop gambling in the first.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Horrendous is a strong word.

Amos is looking like a starter and Goldman is a man among boys every week.

Top 3 picks on IR, 4th pick hurt and replaced already. Yeah, looks great.

Bigdaddybear

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately this team has a bunch of needs, we can't address them all at once.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Horrendous is a strong word.

Amos is looking like a starter and Goldman is a man among boys every week.

I will give you Goldman but Amos is just a body. He is doing a good job not getting torched but he isn't good enough to remain the starter should legitimate competition come around to challenge him.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I will give you Goldman but Amos is just a body. He is doing a good job not getting torched but he isn't good enough to remain the starter should legitimate competition come around to challenge him.

Disagree. Amos has been smacking the hell out of fools. He's no Troy Polamalu, but he's a fine starter until we fix the rest of the shit roster.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Top 3 picks on IR, 4th pick hurt and replaced already. Yeah, looks great.

I dont recall any injury red flags for White, Grasu or Floyd prior to the draft.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again, that is part of not getting torched. He can make tackles and he can cover fairly well but he isn't a player that has shown the ability to create turnovers or even defend passes.

He is an average-ish NFL safety. If you're looking for someone to not make mistakes he will fill that role for you. If you're looking for a play maker, its not him. He has at the very least in my mind out-played his draft status.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Right, because there's nothing in between "horrendous" and "great".

Are you considering it mediocre? One, how does that make the team better, and two, I'd still challenge that label. In 2016, the production coming from his 2015 draft is horrendous.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I dont recall any injury red flags for White, Grasu or Floyd prior to the draft.

Did either Grasu or White produce anything when they played?

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Are you considering it mediocre? One, how does that make the team better, and two, I'd still challenge that label. In 2016, the production coming from his 2015 draft is horrendous.

I never said it makes the team better. You said his 2015 draft was horrendous, I said horrendous was a strong word.

You want to see a horrendous draft, go look at Jerry Angelo's 2007 draft.