Panthers AT Blackhawwwwwks IGT 1/21

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I was watching the post-game show after the game and if I heard right, I think Jamal Mayers said something like Keith was late to the ice for practice, and that pissed of Toews -- in case anyone was wondering the exact reason why they fought. Not sure if Mayers is right.

Anyways, I picked a bad day to praise Lehner yesterday, as he arguably had his worst game as a Hawk. Not picking on him at all, but just saying, all of those goals he gave up were quite bad. Too deep in his net, five-hole, not covering the post, etc.

It was an optional skate, not practice. I highly doubt that either Toews or Keith are afraid of losing trust or gaining brownie points with JC.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Coach Q gets his revenge.v

Granada

Liked Posts:
It was an optional skate, not practice. I highly doubt that either Toews or Keith are afraid of losing trust or gaining brownie points with JC.

What? That wouldn't be the point (to get brownie points). The point would have been, Toews showing Keith he's not special and to get his ass to practice (er, optional skate, warm-up, whatever) on time like everyone else. That is, if Mayers is right.

For what it's worth, an optional skate is a practice (form of). But feel free to split hairs.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What? That wouldn't be the point (to get brownie points). The point would have been, Toews showing Keith he's not special and to get his ass to practice (er, optional skate, warm-up, whatever) on time like everyone else. That is, if Mayers is right.

For what it's worth, an optional skate is a practice (form of). But feel free to split hairs.

Lol@ brownie points.....just too many here that watch and enjoy but have never played competitively.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure
I was watching the post-game show after the game and if I heard right, I think Jamal Mayers said something like Keith was late to the ice for practice, and that pissed of Toews -- in case anyone was wondering the exact reason why they fought. Not sure if Mayers is right.

Anyways, I picked a bad day to praise Lehner yesterday, as he arguably had his worst game as a Hawk. Not picking on him at all, but just saying, all of those goals he gave up were quite bad. Too deep in his net, five-hole, not covering the post, etc.
That was a wicked five hole shot over his stick and under his crotch saucer style though. And one of the other 3 would have been acceptable.

We did outplay them which is awesome to see, this team doesn't look anything like the garbage that couldn't exit it's own zone.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

CC should of played out of respect and the fact he looked good his last 2 games. Lehner was trash last night when we needed a big game from him. Loses like last night always come back to hurt you, I know the Hawks were due for a loss but when the Peg and Vegas lost you need to capitalize when your battling 6 teams for a playoff spot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah...I would think it could even be staged by the veterans to set the table for how Captain wanted the intensity against Q.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm sure

That was a wicked five hole shot over his stick and under his crotch saucer style though. And one of the other 3 would have been acceptable.

We did outplay them which is awesome to see, this team doesn't look anything like the garbage that couldn't exit it's own zone.

This is how I see it:

The first goal, Lehner failed to cover the post. No excuse for that, too lackadaisical.

The second goal, he was waaayyyy too deep in his net and went down early.

The third goal, he was late to get over and his five-hole was bigger than the Hoover Dam.

None of those were acceptable in my view. If you want to say the 4th goal wasn't his fault, I might agree there (Carpenter turnover; Murphy being useless).

Both teams dragged ass in the first period; Florida won the 2nd; Chicago won the 3rd. They do seem to be transitioning out of their zone better like you say, and it was encouraging to not see this team fold when they get down for a change. I can't remember the last time the Hawks actually came back in the 3rd period to win a game this year, so hopefully, that's their next step.

Granada

Liked Posts:
CC should of played out of respect and the fact he looked good his last 2 games. Lehner was trash last night when we needed a big game from him. Loses like last night always come back to hurt you, I know the Hawks were due for a loss but when the Peg and Vegas lost you need to capitalize when your battling 6 teams for a playoff spot.

I didn't have any problems with starting Lehner personally, it just sucks he picked that night to have a bad game. The Hawks themselves also didn't do him any favors whatsoever with the way they started that game.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't have any problems with starting Lehner personally, it just sucks he picked that night to have a bad game. The Hawks themselves also didn't do him any favors whatsoever with the way they started that game.

I don't have a sense that JC is handling the goalie situation well unless the intent is to tick of Crawford to accept a trade elsewhere.

Lehner had been marginally better, but he is also emotionless and even keel. Crow brings a phrenetic excitement the guys get behind, and has played like a starting caliber goalie. I liked the 50/50 split for both of them. I think Lehner does worse with a bigger load, and Crow does worse with a lighter load, and Lehner does have a "bad Lehner" that pops up now and then.

This actually wasn't his worst performance. He had a game early in the season where he didn't have it either.

Crow should have played against Q, and he should be getting his 50/50 until the splits are extreme or a trade has been made.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I don't have a sense that JC is handling the goalie situation well unless the intent is to tick of Crawford to accept a trade elsewhere.

Lehner had been marginally better, but he is also emotionless and even keel. Crow brings a phrenetic excitement the guys get behind, and has played like a starting caliber goalie. I liked the 50/50 split for both of them. I think Lehner does worse with a bigger load, and Crow does worse with a lighter load, and Lehner does have a "bad Lehner" that pops up now and then.

This actually wasn't his worst performance. He had a game early in the season where he didn't have it either.

Crow should have played against Q, and he should be getting his 50/50 until the splits are extreme or a trade has been made.

Well, he wasn't emotionless when he went off at the bench after being pulled not too long ago. And he certainly isn't emotionless whenever he's interviewed -- he's one of the most honest interviewees I've ever heard.

If Colliton is basing his decisions on how he thinks a player will feel if he benches him, he should be fired immediately. Lehner won the starting job fair and square; and Colliton split them until recently. I have no problem how he's handling it, at least not yet.

Disagree that this wasn't Lehner's worst game; and I'm not saying it was his only sub-par performance this year either. Whether you want to call it his worst (like me) or one of his worst (like you, I think), a bad game is a bad game -- it happens.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was no reason to disrupt the balance of the netminders.

I disagree that anything but 50/50 serves us currently. But I understand and love Lehner. I want to resign him long term, I just don't think its the right move for either of their chemistry, the teams, or JC's standing with the players.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looking at my crib notes, I think it's splitting hairs but it's either this game or the Vancouver game that has to register as Lehnher's worst:

Either .811 on 37 SA (VAN), or .846 on 26 SA (FLA). Both were craptacular. But then you look at him posting .930+ on 50+ shots a couple of times earlier in the season and it somewhat negates it--especially the Nashville match earlier in the season where he was literally the only one who showed up--and probably should have filled the skaters skates with cheez-whiz for hanging him out to dry.

Like Granada I didn't have an issue with Lehner starting this one. If the perfect path forward is to hand over the reins to Lehner than he's gotta get starts in even after a nice run by Crawford.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at my crib notes, I think it's splitting hairs but it's either this game or the Vancouver game that has to register as Lehnher's worst:

Either .811 on 37 SA (VAN), or .846 on 26 SA (FLA). Both were craptacular. But then you look at him posting .930+ on 50+ shots a couple of times earlier in the season and it somewhat negates it--especially the Nashville match earlier in the season where he was literally the only one who showed up--and probably should have filled the skaters skates with cheez-whiz for hanging him out to dry.

Like Granada I didn't have an issue with Lehner starting this one. If the perfect path forward is to hand over the reins to Lehner than he's gotta get starts in even after a nice run by Crawford.

I thought there was a game where Crow was dinged up but available, and he got ran in the first period. Gave 3 soft goals in 15 minutes...and JC pulled him early.

Then the next game, Crow did the same thing and got pulled early. If I remember they both almost led comebacks taking over for each other.

Not getting out of the first period is a bad game.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There was no reason to disrupt the balance of the netminders.

I disagree that anything but 50/50 serves us currently. But I understand and love Lehner. I want to resign him long term, I just don't think its the right move for either of their chemistry, the teams, or JC's standing with the players.

They're both big boys, they'll be fine.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I just feel like everybody was happy with 50/50...it felt good. The team liked it. And its best for our trade situation. That trade situation is my first concern and saw no reason to harm that in their play.

Meh. I don't think the team liked it until they started winning recently. The league already has gotten a good look at both goalies, including Crow, who was the bigger question mark (health-wise). You use who you believe has the best chance to win, period.

Also, how do you know that Lehner "liked" the split? There's no way to know that, really -- maybe he was ticked off and felt he was/is the clear-cut number one. If we're worrying about players "feeling good," it can cut both ways. That's why, as a coach, you can't worry about that, especially when it comes to two veterans.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know how the goalies feel about a 50-50 split, but up until recently I seriously think all 18 skaters (with the possible exception of Kane) needed to worry more about their own games (or lack thereof) than what was going on in net.