Passer rating. Vs. QBR

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You really don't get it, do you? Passer rating evaluates a QBs performance, not his team's.

I think even then, the nomenclature is important. Passer rating evaluates a QB's passing efficiency, nothing more. I've heard people call it QB rating, and that's not what it really is...it doesn't take into account sack yardage, rushing TDs, "Super Bowl Wins", etc.

If you don't "understand" what passer rating is, then you are Special person. If you don't understand what QBR is, then you are like the rest of humankind since the mathematical equation is more secret than Col. Sanders' formula.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I believe that was 2013 opening day, when Peyton Manning threw 7 tds in a vintage performance, but Cutler' s 1 td, 1 int outing was deemed better.

Yep, laughable stat.

Before they scrubbed it from their front page, Charlie batch had the highest rated QBR game ever. 186 yard, 3 tds and 2 picks. 99.9 of 100. (it is still listed as 99.9 when you hunt down his stats in espn).

Charlie batch, Brock Osweiler, Case Keenum, Damon Huard, Jimmy Garoppolo, Joe Flacco (twice), Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick all appear on the all time greatest QBR game list before Peyton Manning does.

That is enough to give any sane person doubts about QBR.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Before they scrubbed it from their front page, Charlie batch had the highest rated QBR game ever. 186 yard, 3 tds and 2 picks. 99.9 of 100. (it is still listed as 99.9 when you hunt down his stats in espn).

Charlie batch, Brock Osweiler, Case Keenum, Damon Huard, Jimmy Garoppolo, Joe Flacco (twice), Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick all appear on the all time greatest QBR game list before Peyton Manning does.

That is enough to give any sane person doubts about QBR.
Agreed.... I still don’t like either of them because anytime a quarterback throws a 2 yard pass and the wr breaks four tackles to go 80 yards they give the quarterback credit for the yardage after the catch which seems improper to me. The quarterback needs so much to happen to make a play. That’s why I’m more of a team stat kinda guy.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed.... I still don’t like either of them because anytime a quarterback throws a 2 yard pass and the wr breaks four tackles to go 80 yards they give the quarterback credit for the yardage after the catch which seems improper to me. The quarterback needs so much to happen to make a play. That’s why I’m more of a team stat kinda guy.
We want through the rating thing here and the old board.
Lots didnt like it, lots did.

As far as I am concerned, passer rating is more often than not a great indicator of who the top guys are.....for a season.

Game to game can vary wildly, but like most other stats it gets more precise with more data.
Game to game is fun to watch, but overall long term average defines the player.

You can argue the finer points of who is better than who, but the same guys who are widely considered the greatest are the same guys in the 100 rating range year in and year out.

We can argue about the order of the 1-10 QBs in the league all day long... but the top 10 or so are more often than not the guys with the top 10 ratings.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If you want to get down to brass tacks on why I despise qbr.. its simple.
Subjective game situation weight that seems to change.
Manning tosses 7 tds. For a qbr of 79.
Because the game wasn't close, his stellar evening was not considered clutch... or that is the official explanation.

....but then you have a barn burner like the chiefs and rams last year. 105 points scored.
8 lead changes.
Offense charging up and down the field.
Neither qb got over an 80 qbr.

Then you have trubisky walking all over the bucs in a game where they didnt even show up- and he gets a 97?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If you want to get down to brass tacks on why I despise qbr.. its simple.
Subjective game situation weight that seems to change.
Manning tosses 7 tds. For a qbr of 79.
Because the game wasn't close, his stellar evening was not considered clutch... or that is the official explanation.

....but then you have a barn burner like the chiefs and rams last year. 105 points scored.
8 lead changes.
Offense charging up and down the field.
Neither qb got over an 80 qbr.

Then you have trubisky walking all over the bucs in a game where they didnt even show up- and he gets a 97?
I hear ya and I agree.

Speaking of that Rams-Chiefs game both quarterbacks ended up with a 117 rating even though Goff had 0 ints and Mahomes had 3....1 was returned for a td. Not sure how they ended up with the same rating . But again I don’t like either rating systems.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why in the living hell is a thread about QBR vs Passer rating in the "All Sports" (Read: Women's Lacrosse) forum?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Why in the living hell is a thread about QBR vs Passer rating in the "All Sports" (Read: Women's Lacrosse) forum?
I was having fun.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You really don't get it, do you? Passer rating evaluates a QBs performance, not his team's. It's based on how productive his throws are, how many tds he throws compared to ints, yards per attempt, etc.

How far your team advances in the playoffs doesn't affect it. By your logic Trent Dilfer as a better QB in 2000 than Manning or Favre because he won the Superbowl.

If you're determined to discredit Watson's body of work because he didn't play well against the Colts, knock yourself out.

Passer rating evaluates a QB's passing performance. Fixed it for you, since it does not evaluate the rest of a QB's game

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Passer rating evaluates a QB's passing performance. Fixed it for you, since it does not evaluate the rest of a QB's game

Well the passing game is kinda the #1 quality in a good QB. The ability to run is a nice bonus.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Data was likely lost in the server changeover but years ago I went back to something like 1995 and looked at the Top 10 QB's in passer rating each season. I think in all that time (it was aprox 20 years worth of data) only 4 or 5 of them had losing records in that season. Passer rating equates pretty damn well to not only individual success but a team being pretty damn good too.