Thoughts after the season

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would want youth infused in and to remove contract that most likely will not be extended.

So I would want players locked up and traded before even thinking of who to add.

So Baez and Schwarber locked up.
Bryant traded. That is where I would start.

After that I would want to know what direction that they are going in a manager

Ross means they are going to do a semi rebuild. Trading Bryant for 2 prospects fits with this.

Going after a higher end like Girardi means win this year. So they would have to Target an established Lead off.

So IDK really what to post for a perfect scenerio because it is self gratification.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This is if I could have things my way.

Trade Bryant for prospects that Detroit wants.
Flip them for Boyd and (Victor) Reyes.
Decline Q’s option.
Use the money saved up by shipping Bryant and Q’s option for Gerrit Cole.

■Rotation
Cole
Darvish
Boyd
Hendricks
Lester

Sign (Will) Smith.

■Bullpen
Kimbrel
Smith
Wick
Wieck
Ryan
Mills
Chatwood

Use the money saved from Hamels leaving to augment the lineup.
Sign Moustakas to man third.
Trade to get Whit.

■Lineup
(2B) Merrifield
(3B) Moustakas
(SS) Baez
(1B) Rizzo
(C) Contreras
(LF) Schwarber
(CF) Reyes
(RF) Heyward

Would like to hear your perfect off-season as well!
You plagiarized this from the Trade Rumors website

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I hope 2 major players on the current roster get locked up past 2021. I think it will end up maybe being 3 with Baez, Rizzo and Schwarber. I think they offer Bryant but he turns them down again. (Reports were that Washington offerend Rendon the extension weeks ago, in the 210-215 range). I think Bryant wants to see how the new manager uses him, 3B only, or little leaguer again before he decides to sign. At that point, I think Theo will be transparent and said we tried to extend KB twice, he is a great player, but we need commitment from our guys now and if he does not get it, he will listen. It wont be for Betts and get in that 300 million dollar hole either.

Rizzo is the leader, option years dont work with leaders. We can still get Javy for under 200 million, maybe 150, if and only if they do it this year.

I dont know what the answer would be, but moving Heyward would be really nice. If it is Nick at a nice price, so be it. This is just getting Theo back to being Theo, developed the position players, buying pitching. Do not know why he left the reservation on this one.

Get this manager hired quickly. Get his ideas on Baez or Nico at leadoff before going out to buy a center fielder leadoff hitter. We know Wrigley is a small park so anyone should do in center.
If Zobrist wants to stay as a player/coach for 6-8 million, it would be nice to have him around.

There is going to be a real desire to prove this roster was good enough with the right leader, and I wont mind there not being a big turnover.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
This is if I could have things my way.

Trade Bryant for prospects that Detroit wants.
Flip them for Boyd and (Victor) Reyes.
Decline Q’s option.
Use the money saved up by shipping Bryant and Q’s option for Gerrit Cole.

■Rotation
Cole
Darvish
Boyd
Hendricks
Lester

Sign (Will) Smith.

■Bullpen
Kimbrel
Smith
Wick
Wieck
Ryan
Mills
Chatwood

Use the money saved from Hamels leaving to augment the lineup.
Sign Moustakas to man third.
Trade to get Whit.

■Lineup
(2B) Merrifield
(3B) Moustakas
(SS) Baez
(1B) Rizzo
(C) Contreras
(LF) Schwarber
(CF) Reyes
(RF) Heyward

Would like to hear your perfect off-season as well!

We can't just sign Moustakas, he has a mutual option with the Brewers for 11 Million and being that is his highest paid year ever, no way he is declining it. As for the Brewers, they don't have a lot of options at 2nd Base, which is where they were using him a good chunk of last year so most likely he will be there 1 more year.

As for Witt, the issue becomes who are we trading for him. The royals have everyone over a barrel because of how cheap he is and that he is locked up for 3 more years. We keep bitching about Theo bleeding the system dry for trades, you can guarantee the Royals will ask and get the moon for him.

Why would we trade anything for Boyd? He has a career 4.95 ERA and gave up a career worst 39 Home runs this year. There is nothing in his track record that suggests he is getting any better, might as well just pick up Qs $10M option in that scenario. Being that it is a contract year and potentially his last shot at a big pay day, you cross your fingers and hope he delivers on that .

I agree with looking at trading KB and its either going to be a straight up star for star trade (maybe Boston for Betts) or to stock the farm (perhaps to San Diego, in which case Machado gets to go back to SS, his preferred position)

We need to accept that fact that the Ricketts are just not going to fire the money cannon at every position like the Yankees used to. Sure, they will spend where it makes sense, but they are going to leave themselves some outs as well.
  • Don't be surprised if Nico is the starting SS or 2B next year. Kid showed that he was ready and is super cheap for the next couple of years.
  • Don't be surprised if Q's option is picked up as $10M is a steal for a starting pitcher AND most likely the 5th spot in the rotation will be filled by committee: Chatwood, Mills, Underwood.
  • I wouldn't be surprised that if we do pull off a big trade that it is Wilson Contreras that is traded. Caratini is solid behind the plate and while he doesn't have the power of Wilson, sold bat and good OBP. Couple him with a veteran catch like Matt Wieters or Lucroy, will buy time until Amaya is ready.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure has targeted what he wants to fix.

Leaky D. Heyward needs to go back to RF and Rizzo needs to be extended. Almora had a piss poor year and should have to fight for a job going in.

Happ needs a defined role or traded.

Russell should be a DFA case. But he played well towards the end and he is the best glove at SS. Ya numbers don't lie. So the popular choice is get rid of. But that is value that they are letting go a low return or strait DFA.

So with plus D in mind he fits. They could go a few directions then.

Baez SS Russell 2B Nico CF. Little experimental.

Baez SS Nico 2B Russell DFA/trade
Russell SS Nico 2B Baez 3B Bryant traded.

Or go totally outside of the box.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised that if we do pull off a big trade that it is Wilson Contreras that is traded. Caratini is solid behind the plate and while he doesn't have the power of Wilson, sold bat and good OBP. Couple him with a veteran catch like Matt Wieters or Lucroy, will buy time until Amaya is ready.

This point is interesting.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
  • I wouldn't be surprised that if we do pull off a big trade that it is Wilson Contreras that is traded. Caratini is solid behind the plate and while he doesn't have the power of Wilson, sold bat and good OBP. Couple him with a veteran catch like Matt Wieters or Lucroy, will buy time until Amaya is ready.

I would have thought of that before the press conference.

Theo was glowing about Willson, said great blocker, one of the best arms in baseball, found something he is comfortable with regarding pitch framing. He was trying a few different methods and Theo thinks he finally found one he can work with.

He was either Building Willson up big to deal, or he pretty much committed to Willson.

There was just a stern ness in his voice that made it sound like he was really upset with how Maddon handled Willson. I thought he was down to 2 starters, the rest were either wanting or getting Caratini. I blamed the pitchers for wanting to go with Victor, Darvish seemed to need someone quiet back there.

I guess we see, it makes sense either way. Willson does not deserve to just be the private catcher for Lester. Really dont think Hendricks cares who he throws to. I wont be surprised if we get some Suzuki for Darvish.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting. Wonder who?

Epstein noted there is at least one more possible option among the staffs of the postseason teams. So far, the Cubs have not reached out to seek permission to interview any external candidates.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might be this one:

The Cubs will consider Raul Ibanez for the managerial post Joe Maddon just lost, according to Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Ibanez, a former major league outfielder, has no managerial experience. However, the 47-year-old has stayed in the game since his playing days ended in 2014 by serving as a special assistant in the Dodgers’ front office and a broadcaster. The work Ibanez has done in his post-playing career has made him an appealing possibility to skipper-needy teams over the past couple years, though he turned down managerial interview requests from clubs last offseason

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking.

Joe was wrong at the time because he was too laid back. It worked when the core was young because they needed a calming effect while they matured.

Now they need a fire lit under their ass.

Raul might relate to the Hispanic core of the team and it ties into Theo propping up Contreras.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see no way Schwarber and castellanos are on the same team. Heyward is not a CF and he isn’t getting younger

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Just a couple of points that I ‘d like to get out there but

1 People seem to hate Boyd but his first half was with a 2. Some era and he has close to an identical war as Bryant and comes way cheaper as well. We save money in this.

2 People really can’t think that signing Castellanos and Rendon is better than signing Cole cause a rotation lead by Hendricks and Darvish ain’t gonna cut it against some of the best out there in the playoffs.

3 Whit’s wheels fell off last year 10 caught steals to 19 steals. He’s still valuable and the Cubs need him but Dayton Moore should know that he is not going to be there for their next championship window.

4 Mouse can’t do better than a 11m offer on the market with a solid glove at third and 31 homeruns? Don’t think so.

5 Where are people’s solutions to centerfield? The only team that had a young guy with decent obp was the Tigers dudes. We need a better defender in center.

Last edited:

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Just a point that I ‘d like to get out there but

1 People seem to hate Boyd but his first half was with a 2. Some era and he has close to an identical war as Bryant and comes way cheaper as well. We save money in this.

2 People really can’t think that signing Castellanos and Rendon is better than signing Cole cause a rotation lead by Hendricks and Darvish ain’t gonna cut it against some of the best out there.

3 Whit’s wheels fell of last year 10 caught steals to 19 steals. He’s still valuable and the Cubs need him but Dayton Moore should know that he is not going to be there for their next championship window.

4 Mouse can’t do better than a 11m offer on the market with a solid glove at third and 31 homeruns. Don’t think so.

5 Where are people’s solutions to centerfield? The only team that had a young guy with decent obp was the Tigers dudes. We need a better defender in center.

- Boyd has been a starter for 5 seasons and his best ERA is 4.39 in 2018. He has also increased his HR rate (and hit rate) each season, with this year being the worst at 39 and he pitches in Detroit a pitcher's ball park. Why on earth would Cubs want him? You cannot compare WAR between pitchers and position players.
- Signing two positions players that will play every day, especially at the level of Castellanos and Rendon is an infinitely better move than a single starting pitcher that at best gives you 33 regular season starts.
- Moore knows he has no window but he also knows that everyone wants WHit, he can just sit back and wait to see who unloads the farm, and its a brilliant move on Moore's part.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
One person I'd like to see the Cubs target in FA is Tyler Clippard. He's done well out of the pen last year and is actually effective more against Lefties versus Righties.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
I would want youth infused in and to remove contract that most likely will not be extended.

So I would want players locked up and traded before even thinking of who to add.

So Baez and Schwarber locked up.
Bryant traded. That is where I would start.

After that I would want to know what direction that they are going in a manager

Ross means they are going to do a semi rebuild. Trading Bryant for 2 prospects fits with this.

Going after a higher end like Girardi means win this year. So they would have to Target an established Lead off.

So IDK really what to post for a perfect scenerio because it is self gratification.
Self gratification it is but isn't that the fun part?
Trying to justify your reasoning?
I know people might not like my idea but it's always fun to debate things imo.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Just a couple of points that I ‘d like to get out there but

2 People really can’t think that signing Castellanos and Rendon is better than signing Cole cause a rotation lead by Hendricks and Darvish ain’t gonna cut it against some of the best out there in the playoffs.

3 Whit’s wheels fell off last year 10 caught steals to 19 steals. He’s still valuable and the Cubs need him but Dayton Moore should know that he is not going to be there for their next championship window.

4 Mouse can’t do better than a 11m offer on the market with a solid glove at third and 31 homeruns? Don’t think so.

Who did you steal this from?

You know that plagiarizing shit puts the owners of this forum in legal jeopardy and open to a lawsuit? Why would you do that to them?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Any of you see the Cubs going after Cole? Cole, Darvish, Hendricks, Lester, Quintana is a pretty solid 1-5.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
- Boyd has been a starter for 5 seasons and his best ERA is 4.39 in 2018. He has also increased his HR rate (and hit rate) each season, with this year being the worst at 39 and he pitches in Detroit a pitcher's ball park. Why on earth would Cubs want him? You cannot compare WAR between pitchers and position players.
- Signing two positions players that will play every day, especially at the level of Castellanos and Rendon is an infinitely better move than a single starting pitcher that at best gives you 33 regular season starts.
- Moore knows he has no window but he also knows that everyone wants WHit, he can just sit back and wait to see who unloads the farm, and its a brilliant move on Moore's part.
My quote still stands dude.
Having arguably the best starting pitcher out there for the season and post season means a lot.
Yes the team was built upon getting the most value out of the position players but
this team needs an ace that can strike fear into the heart of other teams to begin series-es.