Thoughts after the season

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Cubs could afford Rendon, Castellanos AND Cole if they really wanted to. The Ricketts crying poor is ridiculous. They may wanna keep it to themselves...but they have the money. It amazes me how the Rays are doing what they are doing with a 60 mill payroll. Anyway...I guess we are trying to be realistic based on the self imposed money restrictions Ricketts has. Nobody gives a shit about the kids playing outside Wrigley or any of the other amenities in and around Wrigley. Real Cub fans wanna win...first and foremost.
No team in baseball is willing to spend money recklessly like that. Do Ricketts have more money than all other owners in baseball? No, you just want to be a whiner. Cubs spent the second most money in all of baseball last year and you are trying to proclaim they are cheap. Brilliant!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Cubs could afford Rendon, Castellanos AND Cole if they really wanted to. The Ricketts crying poor is ridiculous. They may wanna keep it to themselves...but they have the money. It amazes me how the Rays are doing what they are doing with a 60 mill payroll. Anyway...I guess we are trying to be realistic based on the self imposed money restrictions Ricketts has. Nobody gives a shit about the kids playing outside Wrigley or any of the other amenities in and around Wrigley. Real Cub fans wanna win...first and foremost.
They just spent 218 million plus 6 million for a manager to not make the playoffs.
Both Harper and Machado prove it does not take the big names to get there. The Rays and A's proved it does not take big names and Real Cub fans want a competitive team. Dollars do not buy that. There are a shit load of REAL CUB FANS that cannot afford to buy a ticket, let alone spend a weeks vacation money for a 3 hours experience. Its always easy to spend someone elses money.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
No team in baseball is willing to spend money recklessly like that. Do Ricketts have more money than all other owners in baseball? No, you just want to be a whiner. Cubs spent the second most money in all of baseball last year and you are trying to proclaim they are cheap. Brilliant!
Agree a hundred percent.
The Ricketts gave us a ring dude.
What more can you ask of these people.
Can't people appreciate others for what they've done in the long term than the short term?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Agree a hundred percent.
The Ricketts gave us a ring dude.
What more can you ask of these people.
Can't people appreciate others for what they've done in the long term than the short term?
yep, and won with the 14th highest payroll in baseball, after blowing 58 on Heyward and Lester. They would have gotten there without Heyward, so probably would have been down in the mid 20's

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The perfect off-season begins with firing Epstein.

If you don't see that you are destined to suffer with the Rigglemans who don't understand baseball but are convinced douche bag Epstein does.

Epstein was ahead of his time and understood Bean 5 years before the curve. That one fact does not make you special. You basically have a fanboy idiot running your franchise now that the league has caught up to his advantage.

Good luck.

If firing Epstein isn't your first move you are wrong.
Firing Maddon was wrong.
Its already too late for you. Welcome back to Cubdom.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:

If you don't see that you are destined to suffer with the Rigglemans who don't understand baseball but are convinced douche bag Epstein does.

Epstein was ahead of his time and understood Bean 5 years before the curve. That one fact does not make you special. You basically have a fanboy idiot running your franchise now that the league has caught up to his advantage.

Good luck.

Firing Maddon was wrong.
He was ahead of the curb for a while right?
So the league caught on and the playing field has somewhat been neutralized.
He'll learn and come around.
I'd rather have him around forever unless we can sign Jeff Luhnow lol.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Good luck.

Firing Maddon was wrong.

Epstein did the same thing in Boston, although the first world series was a gift from Arizona and that deal. That is what Epstein does, build a great system, he is at the point he was at in Boston when he got replaced because of terrible free agent picks.

I know Hoyer and McLeod got alot of credit, now McLeod is going to be with the big club personnel, I just dont know what Hoyer and McLeod do. Its all credited to Theo. If he goes, would you sign Dumbrowski? The one who cleaned up the mess in Boston? Cubs really want to show Theo CAN keep the organization going strong, the pick of Nico proved that it is possible to keep feeding the system with draft picks. We just dont keep the good ones around to fill up the club from the bad mistakes.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Epstein did the same thing in Boston, although the first world series was a gift from Arizona and that deal. That is what Epstein does, build a great system, he is at the point he was at in Boston when he got replaced because of terrible free agent picks.

I know Hoyer and McLeod got alot of credit, now McLeod is going to be with the big club personnel, I just dont know what Hoyer and McLeod do. Its all credited to Theo. If he goes, would you sign Dumbrowski? The one who cleaned up the mess in Boston? Cubs really want to show Theo CAN keep the organization going strong, the pick of Nico proved that it is possible to keep feeding the system with draft picks. We just dont keep the good ones around to fill up the club from the bad mistakes.
What would a Mookie Betts trade look like btw?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
What would a Mookie Betts trade look like btw?

That is pretty much the whole point, what was Mookie, the 165th player taken in the fifth round?

I know Jed was in SanDiego at that point while Theo was the GM making decisions for Boston in 2011, after that pick, he left.

That is what he does and what he can do. Its what happens to his clubs after that first period of change.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Injury prone 33 year old? No way sir.
Better keep Quintana at that point to take the workload off of the pen.

Player 1. Health concerns.
Player 2. You wish he was injured concerns.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yu is a #2 and an injury prone one at that. Hendricks is a #3. Lester a #4 at this point.

Cubs need to go all out for Cole and possibly try to work a trade for Q.

Yu is a #1.

2nd half he ran a 2.76 ERA. 7BB 118 SO.

What the fuck more do you want?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Look Yu said it himself. He was mechanically off the 1st half. He had been pitching through injury for a while and went in healthy. Which means bad mechanics.

His 2nd half was him sorting it out and what he brings when right.

So yes he is a #1. And get over it ok. They paid for the right guy. Ok Mr Garbage

Now getting a lefty between Yu and Kyle makes sense. Lester is a inning soak. Which means #5.
Q is a 4. That is it. I would rather trade vs to out back to back low 90's lefties that offer little variance.

So trade Q. He has value. Lester doesn't.

Simple choice really.

Next part is Chatwood. Do you slot him as the new 4? Maybe. As a starter he has 4 good offerings and will pound 96 on avg. Following Kyle who comes in at 89 this is a big advantage to Tyler with in a series. These guys will be slowed down from Kyle and now they are stuck in slider speed bats.

So if they can't get Wheeler than this is a viable option.

Now on a legit 2. I'm partial to Ryu. He is not winning with velocity. He is a pitcher. So the down grade will be less than MadBum over the contract. MadBum will be the next Lester. Peroid and that is fine because Jon did a great job. But at this point we will be having the exact same conversation.

QT McPennies

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears

Good luck.

Firing Maddon was wrong.

If Theo deserves more blame than Maddon then he also deserves more credit than Maddon for bringing a World Series championship to the north side. Theo had a vision on how to build this team and he got it done. He also made the ballsy move to drop Renteria and bring in Maddon in the first place.

Since the Heyward signing, Theo/Jed have been snowballing in shit on the FA market. Their draft picks have been hot garbage too. Unable to develop pitchers is absolutely killing them. They're mostly responsible for this garbage but Maddon also dicked around countless times, and it was clear his time started to wear out.

The end of season interviews last year hinted at "no accountability" within the clubhouse. Theo basically called Maddon out for not having a sense of urgency. Fans wanted to blame Chili Davis but looks like he's doing just fine with the Mets.

Managers are expendable; I'll take a great GM over a great manager in baseball most of the time. Theo's track record is much better, I have more faith in him figuring it out than Maddon changing his ways.

QT McPennies

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Yu is a #1.

I think we want to see it for a full season before we crown him. For the contract he received, the Cubs haven't gotten their money's worth thus far.

1 disaster season. 1 mixed bag season. No playoff appearances. He ended on a positive note but we'll see if he can maintain it for the remainder of his contract.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yu is a #1.

If he can get through a full season with a sub 3 era and come up big in big games (because that's what #1s are suppose to do) then we can revisit. For now, he's a 2.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Look Yu said it himself. He was mechanically off the 1st half. He had been pitching through injury for a while and went in healthy. Which means bad mechanics.

His 2nd half was him sorting it out and what he brings when right.

So yes he is a #1. And get over it ok. They paid for the right guy. Ok Mr Garbage

Now getting a lefty between Yu and Kyle makes sense. Lester is a inning soak. Which means #5.
Q is a 4. That is it. I would rather trade vs to out back to back low 90's lefties that offer little variance.

So trade Q. He has value. Lester doesn't.

Simple choice really.

Next part is Chatwood. Do you slot him as the new 4? Maybe. As a starter he has 4 good offerings and will pound 96 on avg. Following Kyle who comes in at 89 this is a big advantage to Tyler with in a series. These guys will be slowed down from Kyle and now they are stuck in slider speed bats.

So if they can't get Wheeler than this is a viable option.

Now on a legit 2. I'm partial to Ryu. He is not winning with velocity. He is a pitcher. So the down grade will be less than MadBum over the contract. MadBum will be the next Lester. Peroid and that is fine because Jon did a great job. But at this point we will be having the exact same conversation.
Like the guy but you’re the minority on this one dude. You and your delusional mind is the only thing that believes Ryu is a great add too.

Lastly look what Huston’s doing with Cole and Verlander. We need that to beat them.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like the guy but you’re the minority on this one dude. You and your delusional mind is the only thing that believes Ryu is a great add too.

Lastly look what Huston’s doing with Cole and Verlander. We need that to beat them.
What? Cole isn’t resigning with Houston and Yu was terrific in the second half.