Thoughts after the season

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
What? Cole isn’t resigning with Houston and Yu was terrific in the second half.
Can you not read?
Who said Darvish wasn’t.
Plus when it comes to Cole and Verlander.
I’m talking about the playoffs going on right now that this team missed on.

They’ll have Verlander and Greinke though as well.

Quit interpreting my post wrong.

Last edited:

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
If Theo deserves more blame than Maddon then he also deserves more credit than Maddon for bringing a World Series championship to the north side. Theo had a vision on how to build this team and he got it done. He also made the ballsy move to drop Renteria and bring in Maddon in the first place.

Since the Heyward signing, Theo/Jed have been snowballing in shit on the FA market. Their draft picks have been hot garbage too. Unable to develop pitchers is absolutely killing them. They're mostly responsible for this garbage but Maddon also dicked around countless times, and it was clear his time started to wear out.

The end of season interviews last year hinted at "no accountability" within the clubhouse. Theo basically called Maddon out for not having a sense of urgency. Fans wanted to blame Chili Davis but looks like he's doing just fine with the Mets.

Managers are expendable; I'll take a great GM over a great manager in baseball most of the time. Theo's track record is much better, I have more faith in him figuring it out than Maddon changing his ways.
Chili Davis must have been great with J.D. Davis / McNeil / Alonso / Rosario breaking out or doing fairly well this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think we want to see it for a full season before we crown him. For the contract he received, the Cubs haven't gotten their money's worth thus far.

1 disaster season. 1 mixed bag season. No playoff appearances. He ended on a positive note but we'll see if he can maintain it for the remainder of his contract.

You don't judge off of injury unless (Morrow) it is all you have to judge him by.

You judge by what he did.

This is the same case as Jake in 2015. Except his O was backing him up and the D was far better.

This ties into what I said earlier. And what Loretta talked about. Fix the correct problem. Fundamentals and poor D and a bull pen that doesn't give the game away.

Fix this first.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
You don't judge off of injury unless (Morrow) it is all you have to judge him by.

This is the same case as Jake in 2015. Except his O was backing him up and the D was far better.

This ties into what I said earlier. And what Loretta talked about. Fix the correct problem. Fundamentals and poor D and a bull pen that doesn't give the game away.

Fix this first.

Darvish, Hendricks, Lester is a very shitty 1-3. Look at some of the other rotations in the playoffs and you'll understand. Make it Cole, Darvish, Hendricks and things look a lot more promising.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Darvish, Hendricks, Lester is a very shitty 1-3. Look at some of the other rotations in the playoffs and you'll understand. Make it Cole, Darvish, Hendricks and things look a lot more promising.

Darvish, MadBum, Hendricks, Chatwood, Lester.

Cole will break the record for a SP. Strasburg at 35M AAV 8-10 years.

They just can't afford to invest all of their eggs into one basket. This team has too many issues.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you not read?
Who said he wasn’t.
Plus I’m talking about the playoffs going on right now that this team missed on.

They’ll have Verlander and Greinke though as well.

Quit interpreting my post wrong.
You seem upset when you are wrong. Get over it. Its the interwebz

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yankees say hi

Steve_A

Liked Posts:

Fix this first.
Yes those are important as well but that doesn’t come overnight or doesn’t all of the suddenly turn around with a couple guys coming in don’t you think?

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
You seem upset when you are wrong. Get over it. Its the interwebz
Oh so people are right or wrong when speculating things here now.
Also You took my quote and interpreted it to your liking and that’s a fact.
All I said was look at what Huston is doing with them now.

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Yankees say hi

Well they are unlikely to get by the Astros. Pitching wins.

Even still, it sure helps to be able to trade Chapman for a half season and get Gleyber Torres, and then just sign Chapman once the season ends.

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Darvish, MadBum, Hendricks, Chatwood, Lester.

Cole will break the record for a SP. Strasburg at 35M AAV 8-10 years.

They just can't afford to invest all of their eggs into one basket. This team has too many issues.

MadBum is washed up. We have to get out of this mentality of going for Tier 2-3 players. Let's get some studs because we don't have many.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Yankees say hi

The Yankees are over the CBT and don't have but 1 , IIRC, 8 figure contracts coming off the books. So the chances they go big for Cole aren't great unless they trade away some guys as well. They could let Encarnacion walk and save 15 M. Guys in the last year of their deals are Tanaka, Happ, and DJ. It's possible the Yanks jump into the Cole pool, but I doubt they look there to start. If anything, they might be a landing spot for Quintana.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
The Yankees are over the CBT and don't have but 1 , IIRC, 8 figure contracts coming off the books. So the chances they go big for Cole aren't great unless they trade away some guys as well. They could let Encarnacion walk and save 15 M. Guys in the last year of their deals are Tanaka, Happ, and DJ. It's possible the Yanks jump into the Cole pool, but I doubt they look there to start. If anything, they might be a landing spot for Quintana.

Maybe we can trade Q to them and get back Gleyber.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well they are unlikely to get by the Astros. Pitching wins.

Even still, it sure helps to be able to trade Chapman for a half season and get Gleyber Torres, and then just sign Chapman once the season ends.
The Cubs won the World Series with that move. You do that move a 100 out of 100 times in that situation.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
The Cubs won the World Series with that move. You do that move a 100 out of 100 times in that situation.
Now this I agree with.
It looks like a horrible deal on paper now but prospect hype wasn't as high a couple years back.
I think Theo did the right thing in going all in at that point.

■On another note
Cubs line up without the Q / Chapman / Davis trade

2B Torres
SS Baez
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
RF Soler
LF Schwarber
CF Jimenez
C Contreras

Horrible defense and too right hand heavy lol

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Exactly, you trade one world series for two, three, or four in a row./sarcasm

In all honesty though, if they still had Gleybor, my money would have been on they would have traded the heartbeat of this club in Baez.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes those are important as well but that doesn’t come overnight or doesn’t all of the suddenly turn around with a couple guys coming in don’t you think?

Not at all. This is the same crew that had one of the best D's in the game. and better base running teams. Like I said romper room for adults. Bringing in a Manager that expects performance and will hold players accountable is a great start. Then bring in coaches that teach proper technique.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Now this I agree with.
It looks like a horrible deal on paper now but prospect hype wasn't as high a couple years back.
I think Theo did the right thing in going all in at that point.

■On another note
Cubs line up without the Q / Chapman / Davis trade

2B Torres
SS Baez
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
RF Soler
LF Schwarber
CF Jimenez
C Contreras

Horrible defense and too right hand heavy lol

Trading Jimenez and Cease isn't the problem. It was what they got back in Quintana. Pretty shitty. There were better pitchers to be had.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
What does Theo do well? Draft and sign international players.

What does Theo suck at? Signing free agents.

It is simple. But just watch all you's wanting Cole, Wheeler, Rendon, some all star center fielder.

This is why it sucks being a cub fan.