PFF: Fixing the Bears OL

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
CHICAGO BEARS
It was a bit of a surprise to see the Bears rank among the league’s worst offensive lines a year ago, as they looked like a classic “creep back toward average” line. Losing RG Kyle Long obviously hurt, and Rashaad Cowardgraded at just 51.7 while Ted Larsen wasn’t much better at 55.4. The Bears don’t have a first-round pick, but Day 2 is a good spot to add a Netane Muti or Jonah Jackson to the mix at guard. The tackle spots manned by Charles Leno, Jr. and Bobby Massie had been reasonable in years past, but Leno posted the worst grade of his career in 2019 (58.6) and Massie’s 63.7 grade was his worst since his rookie season in 2012. Part of the Bears getting back on track is simply hoping both tackles get back to form, but drafting another developmental option is wise, especially given last year’s solid fill-in, Cornelius Lucas, is hitting free agency. UConn’s Matt Peart is one of our favorite options for this role on Day 2 or 3. Center Cody Whitehair and LG James Daniels both have a track record of success, and Daniels is in prime position for a Year 3 bump in production after his strong 2019 season. The pieces are in place for the Bears to look better up front, but they should look to figure out right guard in free agency or in the draft while adding youth at offensive tackle for the future.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
OL was completely unprepared 80% of the season. I’m not sure how it could get worse.

With Helfrich gone, it wont get worse. He had blocking scheme issues at Oregon too which helped lead to their downfall and his firing. The guy simply cant coach or scheme. I'm betting the line is better with him simply being gone; a good addition at RG would make it even better. If Pace can fix the RG position in free agency, then he can draft an OT early so Massie or Leno are gone in 2021. If the Corona virus doesnt kill us all first that is.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
With Helfrich gone, it wont get worse. He had blocking scheme issues at Oregon too which helped lead to their downfall and his firing. The guy simply cant coach or scheme. I'm betting the line is better with him simply being gone; a good addition at RG would make it even better. If Pace can fix the RG position in free agency, then he can draft an OT early so Massie or Leno are gone in 2021. If the Corona virus doesnt kill us all first that is.

You would think that’s the case with everything going on but statistics say that’s not remotely the case

jive

Liked Posts:
Hiring Juan Castillo will be a big improvement. His scheme is more in-line with Nagy's scheme. In 2018-19, Nagy was trying to do a Rainbow Coalition on offense. He had an old school O-line coach in Hiestand, a college offense coordinator in Helfrich, and a QB coach left over from Fox working within an Reid style offense. Going forward, I think Nagy is going for a more cohesive team, which will be a good thing over all. It should work better than the incoherent and unprepared O-line from last year. Things can only go up.

On the personnel side, we can't discount how important getting a good RG is. One of the big reasons why we had success running the ball and protecting the QB was because Long was healthy in 2018. When he was out of the game, we suffered. When he was in there, Howard was able to run i.e. the Minnesota game. But between the Daniels/Whitehair switch, and the loss of Long, the line regressed as an entire unit in 2019. We need to replace Long with someone effective, not throwing some body in there and hoping for the best.

I'm hoping by adding a good RG, and a swing tackle that can develop into a potential starter, the line can be rebuilt. I'm also hoping that adding Castillo will help Leno and Massie return to 2018 form.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The number of blown assignments and mis reads last season on the line were ridiculous. It looked like amateur hour every time they lined up.

Massie and Leno phoned the season in. Penalties, missed assignments, and Nagy put it lack of chip on their shoulder.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Bad OL, slow Wrs, terrible TEs & bad QB with a defense aging every year that is also losing key pieces.

All this for a team with very limited draft capital and cap space?

Tell me again how the rebuild shouldn’t restart?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bad OL, slow Wrs, terrible TEs & bad QB with a defense aging every year that is also losing key pieces.

Even with those problems, this team was closer to the playoffs then it was to being a disaster at 4-12. They'll be back, sky isnt falling

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Even with those problems, this team was closer to the playoffs then it was to being a disaster at 4-12. They'll be back, sky isnt falling

The idiot you're responding to thinks the corona virus is just the flu too, so...

greg23

Liked Posts:
Center Cody Whitehair and LG James Daniels both have a track record of success, and Daniels is in prime position for a Year 3 bump in production after his strong 2019 season.

Was I in a coma all season???? because I swear James Daniels sucked and sucked so bad he had to move positions to a spot where he improved to being well below average.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
So the bears just need another guard, a huge bump in James Daniels play, a developmental tackle, and a bump in both Leno and Massie’s play from league worst to average.

Yikes.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
this was my problem most of the season's anyway, the oline sucks badly and so does the TE position. and i do agree with gettin' a vet QB just not dolton. i do see four new faces for the offensive line next season.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

people in the nfl and players in both college and nfl talk about him like he is some OL god. its fuckin weird.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I laughed

good ol ccs

I cringed.

He might be right. Pace might go bargain shopping and pick up 4 OL or 2-3 OL with 1-2 TE and leave Mitch basically unchallenged with a Nate Sudfeld type signing or a mid-round rookie QB that has zero chance of producing for a couple years. It still is my prediction as I firmly believe the big name QB rumors are smokescreens and signal what Pace will not do.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
people in the nfl and players in both college and nfl talk about him like he is some OL god. its fuckin weird.

I thought that was Hiestand

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

The "defense aging" argument is nonsense. Obviously they are aging, just like everyone living on Earth is right now. But age is not an issue on the defense. The Bears had no players over 30 on D in 2019. Of the 3 that were over 28, only Hicks will be back. The Bears will go younger than Trevathan and Amukamara. Mack is the 2nd oldest on D and has shown no signs of slowing down.

I also think Pace has quietly set up the defense nicely. Every position has a stud player. NT, DE, ILB, OLB, CB, S. Being that you only need to pair each with just a league average player, the Bears are set up well to compete for a long-time if they can figure out the QB.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
They better get something done. I’ve never seen confusion like I saw with that line last season. Jeebus, guys standing there, letting rushers fly past them, running into each other, basically blocking themselves out of the play. Stupid..

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
So the bears just need another guard, a huge bump in James Daniels play, a developmental tackle, and a bump in both Leno and Massie’s play from league worst to average.

Yikes.
You know when you say it like that...... Yikes is right.