Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We have some guys with a year on the weight room that could show up at G next year. Lot's easier than T. Hard to know how this will be addressed. I'm more concerned about T and the long term ramifications there. If a T drops and that could happen this year, I jump on it.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I I never liked the Helfrich hire for a few reasons.

I thought he would bring some of that Chip Kelly ingenuity with him. Kelly was much more of a flash in the pan than many expected.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought he would bring some of that Chip Kelly ingenuity with him. Kelly was much more of a flash in the pan than many expected.
Even if he did, it was the opposite of what Nagy needed.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Unless one of Whitehair or Daniels die from Corona virus, there is a 0% chance the Bears OL sees 4 new faces next season. Come on now, you're smart enough to know better.

I was including depth. Pace has overkilled a lot in the past if he sees a weakness there.

Some are saying they believe pace will not see a weakness on the OL; that he will chalk up the OL as improved by dumping OC and OL coaches and getting new guys in there.

To those posters I say "we'll see." They may be right. Thanks for the presumption of my brains though. Cheers.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
They need a good RG though. Budget players suck. Players in their first year often suck. If the Bears go budget/rookie route, they are likely to be just as bad as last year. Long played like a budget player. He was replaced by a budget player (Larsen), before being replaced by a guy getting his first action (Coward) and they all sucked.

The Bears need to sign a solid-to-good guard to start at RG.
i don't think Pace is gonna get anybody we really want or like this season, he's been good at that part since he has been here but i dont see it this season, i'm betting they want him to do proper in the draft, finding a reason to either fire him or keep him. Although, I'm hoping they get lucky and sign a good player for the oline that we have to extend later. and hopefully draft a promising prospect oline wise.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
i don't think Pace is gonna get anybody we really want or like this season, he's been good at that part since he has been here but i dont see it this season, i'm betting they want him to do proper in the draft, finding a reason to either fire him or keep him. Although, I'm hoping they get lucky and sign a good player for the oline that we have to extend later. and hopefully draft a promising prospect oline wise.

Who is "they" in this scenario? I think you're off base in your thinking. A) I don't think any organization of any team, in any sport, goes into a season thinking, "we gotta do this or I'm firing the GM". B) I don't think any GM goes into a season thinking, "I gotta do this or I'll get fired". That's just not how things work. Plus, there's no indication that Pace is even on the hotseat.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I was including depth. Pace has overkilled a lot in the past if he sees a weakness there.

Some are saying they believe pace will not see a weakness on the OL; that he will chalk up the OL as improved by dumping OC and OL coaches and getting new guys in there.

To those posters I say "we'll see." They may be right. Thanks for the presumption of my brains though. Cheers.

Who has said that?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I tend to take a wait and see to moves but I never liked the Helfrich hire for a few reasons.

He burned some bridges at Oregon and was never really respected by his players from what I have read. He made his living off of Kelly's leftover talent and scheme at Oregon. Once those players were gone, he couldn't coach what he had

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He burned some bridges at Oregon and was never really respected by his players from what I have read. He made his living off of Kelly's leftover talent and scheme at Oregon. Once those players were gone, he couldn't coach what he had
Yup and the last thing Nagy needed was more college/Kelly play concepts, especially when implemented by a questionable quality underling. Also, bringing in a college guy to a pro team with a green HC seemed wrong to me. New HC, young QB, new complex O etc with a guy from College that hadn't run pro concepts nor kept his his teams focused.

I don't care how much energy Nagy has, he can only be at one place at a time and this put way too much on his plate. He needed a guy with pro experience to ground the O and take some of the overall load off the new HC.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
budget RG vet, budget Backup Vet Tackle, 2 rookies...

whitehair, daniels, Leno, Massie. 8 oline guys for the 53 roster.
My bad, I interperated that as 4 new faces on the starting OL. If you count depth there will certainly be 4 new faces.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
My bad, I interperated that as 4 new faces on the starting OL. If you count depth there will certainly be 4 new faces.

There will? I think for sure Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, and Bars will be there. And likely Coward at his very low cost. That's six, and they aren't likely to carry more than eight, nine at most.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
There will? I think for sure Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, and Bars will be there. And likely Coward at his very low cost. That's six, and they aren't likely to carry more than eight, nine at most.
I'm expecting 1-2 new vets (1 starter, maybe 1 depth), and 2-3 rookies/PS prospects. I originally thought this was about starting OL but it seems other posters are including all Bears OL in the discussion so that hits practice squad as well in my mind.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm expecting 1-2 new vets (1 starter, maybe 1 depth), and 2-3 rookies/PS prospects. I originally thought this was about starting OL but it seems other posters are including all Bears OL in the discussion so that hits practice squad as well in my mind.

It'll probably have a new RG and a rookie backup OT that is being groomed.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

If you mean training camp bodies, yes. But they aren't going to keep more than 8-9 on the 53 man roster. Probably a total of 10 or 11 or so if you include the practice squad

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
If you mean training camp bodies, yes. But they aren't going to keep more than 8-9 on the 53 man roster. Probably a total of 10 or 11 or so if you include the practice squad

Yeah, and in that 10-11 including PS I expect at least 4 to be new faces.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

That pretty much happens every year. Last year:
Larsen, Mustipher, Bars, Levin

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I mean, if that's the criteria....this isn't a groundbreaking event. The 2019 Bears brought back all 5 starters and had 4 new faces (Larsen, Lucas, Bars, Mustipher). And again, if those 4 faces are the caliber of the 4 brought in last year, the Bears are in trouble.