PFF: Fixing the Bears OL

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
?? Does it matter? or are you really doubting my word those posters have said these things? What a bizarre post.

I believe the line play will be better because Helfrich is no longer involved--it will help with the missed assignments. But if they dont improve the talent, it will still be below average. Its doubtful Pace doesn't know that he still has to upgrade the talent at RG and possibly look to groom an OT this season. At least we wont be watching outmatched TE's trying to block DE's this season. This obviously wont fix Mitch's issues though.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
cordy glenn was just released by bengals...i'd take a look as he'd be an improvement over leno

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
cordy glenn was just released by bengals...i'd take a look as he'd be an improvement over leno

1) They aren't replacing Leno. So, it's a waste of time to even think of scenarios where this happens
2) Glenn may be better than Leno was in 2019, but so is Leno.
3) Glenn has missed 23 of his last 48 possible games, including 10 last year
4) In those 6 games last year, Glenn gave up 4 sacks. Leno gave up 5 in 16 games (according to PFF)

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I believe the line play will be better because Helfrich is no longer involved--it will help with the missed assignments. But if they dont improve the talent, it will still be below average. Its doubtful Pace doesn't know that he still has to upgrade the talent at RG and possibly look to groom an OT this season. At least we wont be watching outmatched TE's trying to block DE's this season. This obviously wont fix Mitch's issues though.

We are in agreement then. I believe Pace has a laundry list of positions he will upgrade RG included and probably high.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What's the cap hit for cutting Leno or Massie outright?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
1) They aren't replacing Leno. So, it's a waste of time to even think of scenarios where this happens
2) Glenn may be better than Leno was in 2019, but so is Leno.
3) Glenn has missed 23 of his last 48 possible games, including 10 last year
4) In those 6 games last year, Glenn gave up 4 sacks. Leno gave up 5 in 16 games (according to PFF)

why would they not try and upgrade leno? they could cut him and save 3 mill if they choose to but it'll be dependent on who they find in the draft...Glenn was not very good for the bengals but he was also not healthy either, he was supposedly rushed back and did not get along with the staff..he will not command big money because he's been unable to stay healthy...so whats the downside? Stay with Leno and his averse blocking skills? If you havent seen his 2019 film just watch how poor it truly is. Leno played pace in 2018 and got his money.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
why would they not try and upgrade leno? they could cut him and save 3 mill if they choose to but it'll be dependent on who they find in the draft...Glenn was not very good for the bengals but he was also not healthy either, he was supposedly rushed back and did not get along with the staff..he will not command big money because he's been unable to stay healthy...so whats the downside? Stay with Leno and his averse blocking skills? If you havent seen his 2019 film just watch how poor it truly is. Leno played pace in 2018 and got his money.

They won't try to upgrade him because he's a 28-year old LT who is 1 season removed from the pro-bowl. And it would be dumb to get rid of him after one bad (not as bad as you think) season. He also "got his money" in 2017 so.......

And you say Glenn wasn't good or healthy for the Bengals, then you ask what's the downside?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Who is "they" in this scenario? I think you're off base in your thinking. A) I don't think any organization of any team, in any sport, goes into a season thinking, "we gotta do this or I'm firing the GM". B) I don't think any GM goes into a season thinking, "I gotta do this or I'll get fired". That's just not how things work. Plus, there's no indication that Pace is even on the hotseat.
that's the feeling i got from George during his last interview. if Pace screws up and bears shit again it's over. this isn't the bulls.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They won't try to upgrade him because he's a 28-year old LT who is 1 season removed from the pro-bowl. And it would be dumb to get rid of him after one bad (not as bad as you think) season. He also "got his money" in 2017 so.......

And you say Glenn wasn't good or healthy for the Bengals, then you ask what's the downside?
It was a pretty bad year.

He isn’t a Pro Bowl OT, the same way Mitch is not a Pro Bowl QB.

I would like him to have compeition this year, but I doubt Glenn comes cheap enough to be competion.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
that's the feeling i got from George during his last interview. if Pace screws up and bears shit again it's over. this isn't the bulls.
The Bulls are a significantly more successful organization.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I would like him to have compeition this year, but I doubt Glenn comes cheap enough to be competion.

Agree to disagree, I guess. 6 OTs make it to the pro bowl every year, and though Leno got there as an alternate, he definitely played as a top 6-8 OT in 2018. And there was an entire video devoted to showing he wasn't as bad as most fans think. Sure, he was below average, but on a line where every single player across the board regressed. Obviously, that's not an excuse for him, but I don't understand why people are putting so much energy into replacing him and not as much into Massie, Whitehair and Daniels (who have similarly contracts that can't be just pushed aside).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agree to disagree, I guess. 6 OTs make it to the pro bowl every year, and though Leno got there as an alternate, he definitely played as a top 6-8 OT in 2018. And there was an entire video devoted to showing he wasn't as bad as most fans think. Sure, he was below average, but on a line where every single player across the board regressed. Obviously, that's not an excuse for him, but I don't understand why people are putting so much energy into replacing him and not as much into Massie, Whitehair and Daniels (who have similarly contracts that can't be just pushed aside).

Replace either. You can’t have an average QB standing behind 2, at best, average OTs.

Why shouldn’t we try and upgrade Leno? He is average and inconsistent and if he was a CB would we be suggesting not trying to upgrade?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Replace either. You can’t have an average QB standing behind 2, at best, average OTs.

Why shouldn’t we try and upgrade Leno? He is average and inconsistent and if he was a CB would we be suggesting not trying to upgrade?

I think the replacement will be found in the 2and round, groomed to start in 2021.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

you right he got paid in 2017, he had a good year in 2018 and then regressed badly in 2019. He is not paid like a top LT and his contract is not such that its impossible to move on if the bears wish, they can save several mill or once the new cba is agreed to they can cut him as a post jun1 designation and save more money....whereas cutting massie would result in no savings and would cost them more until 2021. There is no reason not to bring in competition for leno, given the bears limited cap space, they cant afford to spend much money. Glenn is a low risk high reward option for the bears if they are able to sign him. Prior to his health issues with the bengals in 2019 he's been solid. Nothing wrong with bringing him in for a visit is there?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
you right he got paid in 2017, he had a good year in 2018 and then regressed badly in 2019. He is not paid like a top LT and his contract is not such that its impossible to move on if the bears wish, they can save several mill or once the new cba is agreed to they can cut him as a post jun1 designation and save more money....whereas cutting massie would result in no savings and would cost them more until 2021. There is no reason not to bring in competition for leno, given the bears limited cap space, they cant afford to spend much money. Glenn is a low risk high reward option for the bears if they are able to sign him. Prior to his health issues with the bengals in 2019 he's been solid. Nothing wrong with bringing him in for a visit is there?

I didn't say not to bring in competition for Leno. But you were clearly saying to replace Leno, and still are, hence the cut talk above. I will never object to bringing in competition for any position. My objection was to the corpse of Cordy freaking Glenn replacing a 28-year old 1 year removed from the pro bowl that has never missed a game.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I never said we shouldn't try to upgrade Leno. I said Cordy Glenn doesn't upgrade Leno. The problem that most of this board doesn't seem to grasp, is that the way to upgrade players is to either spend more assets (more money or trade picks) or to draft a stud early, and that's still based on potential. Just so happens the Bears have no money or high picks. Leno's not being upgraded also because he is in fact, not terrible and not worth what it would take to upgrade him.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I never said we shouldn't try to upgrade Leno. I said Cordy Glenn doesn't upgrade Leno. The problem that most of this board doesn't seem to grasp, is that the way to upgrade players is to either spend more assets (more money or trade picks) or to draft a stud early, and that's still based on potential. Just so happens the Bears have no money or high picks. Leno's not being upgraded also because he is in fact, not terrible and not worth what it would take to upgrade him.

Two picks in the top 50 should serve them well. Go to any of the draft simulators and look at the possible talent still available there. This draft is deep at OT, WR and CB. There will most likely be some real good guards available there too.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

I read Ifedi played RT in 2019; and you think he isn't good enough at Tackle. So not a viable replacement for Leno (nor Masie) should Leno suck in 2020?

Your Vaitai hope was signed by Lions (5 years, $50 million). You think there's any chance Bears will sign another OL, like OTs: Jason Peters, Matt Feiler, Gordy Glenn, Daryl Williams, Beachum, etc? Or Gs: Ronald Leary, Mike Pearson, etc?

You think Ifedi, Bars, (roster dudes Boyd, Levin, Mustipher) meets our RG requirements?

With a good LT/RT lot in the 2020 Draft, I really hope they get a LT in the 2nd. Perfect scenario to let Leno compete 2020, don't ya think?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts: