Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
why would they not try and upgrade leno? they could cut him and save 3 mill if they choose to but it'll be dependent on who they find in the draft...Glenn was not very good for the bengals but he was also not healthy either, he was supposedly rushed back and did not get along with the staff..he will not command big money because he's been unable to stay healthy...so whats the downside? Stay with Leno and his averse blocking skills? If you havent seen his 2019 film just watch how poor it truly is. Leno played pace in 2018 and got his money.
Cutting a constantly healthy LT for an constantly injured one without better stats and then needing to play a backup for most of the season? In his prime, Glenn averaged over 7 sacks a year, the same as Leno has over the last 2.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That article suggests the Bears could fix their offensive line problems by waiting until the sixth round and drafting a guy who would come in and back up the people who played poorly last year. I guess I missed how that fixes anything. Apparently there are websites where people just ramble on their ideas on fixing teams that make no sense other than just this forum.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Trade back with both 2nd round picks.

Draft an OT in the 2nd.
Draft another OG in the mid rounds.

Coward/Bars/Ifredi/Rook compete for the starting RG spot.

2nd round OT competes with Massie.

Leno starts at LT. In the end, it probably shakes up as Leno-Daniels-Whitehair-Bars-Rookie.

With a different scheme and better coaching, the line should be improved. That’s not a dominant group, but there’s some pieces there and it would be a young OL overall. More than serviceable with competent QB play and a better run scheme.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crazy idea, why don't we invest actual assets in the OL instead of throwing a late round pick at it and hoping it is better?
Which is exactly why I did not understand the Bears lack of F/A O line signings, well until they signed the kid from the Seahawks. The only thing I can figure is Bars is a LOT better than they are letting on.

Edit: Bears signed 2 TE, paying a lot for 1, and zero Guards. Whaaah?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Which is exactly why I did not understand the Bears lack of F/A O line signings, well until they signed the kid from the Seahawks. The only thing I can figure is Bars is a LOT better than they are letting on.

Edit: Bears signed 2 TE, paying a lot for 1, and zero Guards. Whaaah?

They have to be looking at the interior OL with one of their second round picks. It may not be perfect but at least you then have a few bodies to throw at the vacant RG position.

It looks to me like they are leaving the tackle position alone and crossing their fingers.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
What's the cap hit for cutting Leno or Massie outright?
If you cut both today, it would only create $2.9M of room in 2020, but come with over $5M in dead money spread out between 2021 and 2022.

So you get almost no relief and a significant penalties in the 2 years after next.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
On some level, because of the money already sunk into the O-Line, it’s simply on the existing personnel to play better. Hopefully the new offensive coaches can help with that.

I think it’s a given there’s some draft help coming for the O-Line, but I wouldn’t count on that to save the day. They’re just going to have to play better......

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm reading that the 2nd level OL prospects are late 2nd to 3rd Rd value but would be considered reaches early to mid 2nd. This is actually good for a trade down to add another mid Rd. pick. Could package a few of these late ones to get a 3rd pick in 3rd. Perfect for decent OL prospect or 2 out of those 3 picks.

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm reading that the 2nd level OL prospects are late 2nd to 3rd Rd value but would be considered reaches early to mid 2nd. This is actually good for a trade down to add another mid Rd. pick. Could package a few of these late ones to get a 3rd pick in 3rd. Perfect for decent OL prospect or 2 out of those 3 picks.

That's an option. Will depend on overall stragy (if any) vs BPA.
There will be very interesting players in rds 4 and 5 still. And we've got so many position to upgrade or simply to fill...

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Based on player rankings it looks like Ruiz is probably gone by our 1st pick. Cushenberry likely will be there. What other interior OL is worth 43?

I’d be looking at a T but there’s a nice cloud of players with good value to make a trade down the right move unless a WR like Mims or Reagor is there.

Trading down with either (or both) 2s adding a 3rd opens up other options at WR with this ultra deep class.

I think we probably add 1 OL early but we could double up and grab a WR giving the offense a big boost early.

Or we could go TE, S, or CB in there too.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Based on player rankings it looks like Ruiz is probably gone by our 1st pick. Cushenberry likely will be there. What other interior OL is worth 43?

I’d be looking at a T but there’s a nice cloud of players with good value to make a trade down the right move unless a WR like Mims or Reagor is there.

Trading down with either (or both) 2s adding a 3rd opens up other options at WR with this ultra deep class.

I think we probably add 1 OL early but we could double up and grab a WR giving the offense a big boost early.

Or we could go TE, S, or CB in there too.
That's right, Ruiz, a Center. He was the guy I've heard some "experts" expect the Bears to grab with the first pick in the second round. Said he's perhaps the Best Interior lineman in the draft. Move Whitehair over to Guard. Hope he lasts, but who knows.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I was dissecting Matt Miller’s new mock draft and it’s kind of interesting in terms of OL. He has Ruiz going in the first, so I’m not expecting him to be available at 43. In the 2nd, he has Niang, Wilson, and Simpson going in the 50s. Hunt goes in the early 3rd then he doesn’t have Cushenberry and Lewis going until the mid 3rd. Not to mention that he has Reagor going in the late 2nd, and Aiyuk and Shenault in the 3rd. If the draft was going to pan out that way, I’m definitely trading back with at least one of the 2nds, if not both.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's right, Ruiz, a Center. He was the guy I've heard some "experts" expect the Bears to grab with the first pick in the second round. Said he's perhaps the Best Interior lineman in the draft. Move Whitehair over to Guard. Hope he lasts, but who knows.

Ruiz can play any of the three interior positions, but write ups suggest he’s capable of starting at center early as a rookie. He could go in the late first and I doubt he’s there for us.

I was dissecting Matt Miller’s new mock draft and it’s kind of interesting in terms of OL. He has Ruiz going in the first, so I’m not expecting him to be available at 43. In the 2nd, he has Niang, Wilson, and Simpson going in the 50s. Hunt goes in the early 3rd then he doesn’t have Cushenberry and Lewis going until the mid 3rd. Not to mention that he has Reagor going in the late 2nd, and Aiyuk and Shenault in the 3rd. If the draft was going to pan out that way, I’m definitely trading back with at least one of the 2nds, if not both.

Yeah that sounds consistent to what I’m seeing. There’s several clusters of players in the 2nd and 3rd that give us trade down flexibility.

WR is deeper than T so I think you can wait longer on that position. Similarly the value at TE falls to the 3rd and later outside of Kmet.

Daniel Jeremiah has solid write ups on the top 50 on NFL.com:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Part of me feels like Pace will wait to get an offensive lineman. One thing that stuck out to me in one of the press conferences was Pace saying that they didn't feel they had a talent problem on the OL, basically alluding to coaching being an issue. They obviously really like Bars, as they prevented him from going to the Patriots during the season. The have Coward. And they signed Ifedi. All 3 can play guard and tackle. And that may be an open competition for the starting RG position. So, if that's the case, I don't see them necessarily adding a 4th guy there. That means they could go more for a swing tackle. If Bars is the RG, Ifedi has proven he's not a good RT. Coward probably isn't going to be much better there. And if a swing T is the target, I can see them waiting until the 3rd day to get a guy to develop at tackle, especially since it's a deep OL class.