Pineiro vs Parkey

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
After all the drama, kicking tryouts, game simulations, offseason debate the final stats are in for the year.

2019 Pineiro: 23-28 (82.1%). Long of 53
2018 Parkey: 23-30 (76.6%). Long of 50

Pineiro statistically had a better season. I believe he has at least earned a shot to come back next year. His stats put him in the middle of the league in terms of accuracy. If he can resolve some of his struggles from 40-49 (3-7) then he could be a good find by Pace.

I am really not too sure at this point whom might be available who would be an upgrade to Pineiro. I do believe some competition is warranted, but there is enough reason to be optimistic about Eddy and the overall kicking situation.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just came here to make a topic about eddy. I just heard Nagy say in his postgame presser about eddy making his last 12 now and that he feels pretty good the kicking void is filled

there should be competition but hopefully he can end up being the guy and just keep getting better and more consistent.

BobInIndy

Liked Posts:
I thought Eddy's main feature was his leg strength.
Indoors today and on the last kickoff, he couldn't get it into the end zone???
What gives.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
People also forgot Eddie had a pinched nerve in his knee he was dealing with for half the year you could see him grabbing it after a fg against the Vikings this game. Like you said he was a middle of the pack kicker so I don't think you can completely close the book on him.

Last edited:

Yogi

Liked Posts:
One of the things that annoyed me all season was Nagy going for all those 4th and longs instead of giving Eddy a shot at 45-55 yarders. I can't recall us converting a single one of those 4th downs, and they were often in close-ish games, or at least would've been closer if we had an extra 3pts.

First Packers game, Rams, second Packers game (twice in that one if I recall), etc.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read somewhere recently about his touchbacks dropping since the injury. Hopefully he can get fully healthy if that’s the problem

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of the things that annoyed me all season was Nagy going for all those 4th and longs instead of giving Eddy a shot at 45-55 yarders. I can't recall us converting a single one of those 4th downs, and they were often in close-ish games, or at least would've been closer if we had an extra 3pts.

First Packers game, Rams, second Packers game (twice in that one if I recall), etc.

This could be injury related. He might be fine from 35-45 but not from further out. He has the leg to hit those under normal circumstances but like others have said he has been nursing that injury all season. Now if Nagy pulls this stunt with a healthy kicker then I will be irritated.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What are their respective doink ratios?

mecha

Liked Posts:
What are their respective doink ratios?

I think Parkey will forever remain doink champion for the remainder of humankind.

Pineiro's misses were early in the season, I think he maybe had a miss or 2 in the latter half of the season. for as much of an abortion the kicker position has been for the Bears since letting Gould go (which I will argue was probably the right move back then) I think they have it locked down finally. a whole offseason should give him sufficient time to heal.

Reactions: Myk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If John Harbaugh is willing to bring in a kicker to compete with Justin Tucker (really just a camp leg) every year then, if Nagy does not bring in a kicker next year, he is not doing enough. I don't think we need to have the massive tryouts that we did last year, but they need to keep some pressure on Eddie, and if he gets beat in camp they should not be afraid to pull the trigger and make a change. That is how the Ravens ended up with Tucker, it was a competition in Camp and Tucker was only slightly better than Cundif, but he was better. Granted Cundif was already on thin ice after missing a chip shot in the AFC Championship to tie the game (sound familiar), but the Ravens were willing to give the better kicker in camp the job.

I hope Eddie heals and gets even better next year, but Nagy should not assume that the position is fixed.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You know the biggest difference? Bears going for it on 4th and 8, 6, 10 whatever because it was going to be a longer than 36 yard field goal.
Yeah, we could have made due with Parkey instead of paying him for nothing.

I dont know about the rest of you, but I was almost hoping for a Pinero doink at the end of the game.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
This could be injury related. He might be fine from 35-45 but not from further out. He has the leg to hit those under normal circumstances but like others have said he has been nursing that injury all season. Now if Nagy pulls this stunt with a healthy kicker then I will be irritated.

I'd still put my money on an injured Pineiro making a 50 yarder over Trubisky and co picking up 9 yards on 4th down, considering they only managed 1 yard on 1st-3rd downs.