Post here when you're sick of hearing ...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bears were far and away the healthiest team in the NFL last season. Do you realllllllly wanna bank on that being the case again?

No. But Floyd Mack and Roquan all missed time or were behind
So this year will be better because key players won't get hurt?

It's the NFL. Every team will deal with injuries. Some worse than others, but overall you have to assume some of your stars will miss time.
Of course. I expect injuries and never indicated otherwise. I simply stated that it was inaccurate to imply we had no injuries last year or that they did not affect us.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Tired of all you whiny ass bitches bitching about posts you choose to read.

Great, now I'm tired of my bitching whiny ass. Hope you all happy with yourselves.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think the defense will be great again but will they be able to carry the mediocre quarterback again or will having a huge weakness at the most important position be too much to overcome?
What do you predict Mitch's tds, ints, and yards will be this year?

I don't think Trubz will mediocre however, if he has "Mahomes-type" #'s and we miss the playoffs.....then what?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't think Trubz will mediocre however, if he has "Mahomes-type" #'s and we miss the playoffs.....then what?
No team with a QB within 90% of Mahomes TD's and yards have ever missed the playoffs. So pretty assuredly a non issue.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Under 850 total yards, but he'll have 10+ TDs. The Eagles use their RBs on a situational basis. IMHO he'll get under 5-15 touches a game and his role will be from running formations (first down, short yardage and goaline).

He'll be like Blount was 2 years ago that was sorely missed last year (especially when Ajayi went down).
Howard needs his 15/16 carries a game. If he only gets 5 to 15 total touches a game he is not going to give you what you think he will.

Reactions: DC

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm sick of hearing about the 'defense is going to be worse'. I appreciated Fangio and wish him success, but the possibility of the defense being better just keeps getting overlooked. Bum Phillips said years ago that there are only two ways to get better - get better players or get the players you've got to play better. There is room for the players they've got, to be better.

Since Trubs is going to have an MVP season, the media is just expecting the defense to have a tough time repeating their dominance, when other teams are having to play catch up against them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard needs his 15/16 carries a game. If he only gets 5 to 15 total touches a game he is not going to give you what you think he will.

Right I'd he gets 14 carries he will suck but if he gets 15, he will be great. That one extra carry though.

I am sick of people arbitrarily deciding 15 carries is so much better than 14.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

#truth

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'm sick of hearing about the 'defense is going to be worse'. but the possibility of the defense being better just keeps getting overlooked.
There's a very good chance Bears D gets better with Pagano...

Pagano is a very good Secondary DC. Bears were 1st against the run last year, 7th against the pass.

2010 Ravens were 1st: Run D, but 21st Pass D... 2011 Pagano took them to 4th best in Pass D, (from 9th in Passing TDs to 1st), finishing 4th in Total Points and Total Yards.

So Pagano may improve Secondary... while getting improvements from Roquan Smith, Floyd, RRH and Nichols.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Several more said same about SOS in this thread, but you get the point...

The defense has the talent of a top unit. They might not get as strong of results as last year because of harder schedule, ball bounces, injury, NB play, etc.

I think that Mitchell will continue to minimize mistakes and manage games pretty well but I do think that the Defense will need to score more as the schedule appears to be more difficult.

^ Commonly assumed based on some "tougher" names like KC & NO coming up, but not true. ?

Looking back at 2018, the SOS ended up being the exact same as the projected 2019 SOS is now.
Both schedules = .520

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...n-2019-sos-is-a-trash-stat-matt-nagy-trubisky

SOS is just an assumption based on the previous year. So until we look back after 2019, we won't know if harder.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Scheme mattered a lot to Howard. He had more 16 carry games that averaged less than 4 ypc (3) than more than 4 ypc (4) last year and still under 4 ypc average for the lot. It was only slightly better than the 5-15 carry games and more about whether they were willing to run zone for him.

Nagy knew how to make Howard more effective and used it to close out games or cover for limited QB play but it's not what he wanted to do. He'd prefer to have the back in those situations that could be used from usual sets and schemes, one that could elevate associated play as oppose to more limit it.

I'm a big Howard fan but I understand what's needed for him to be what he can and that is something that significantly curtails what Nagy wants to do.

Last edited:

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Several more said same about SOS in this thread, but you get the point...

^ Commonly assumed based on some "tougher" names like KC & NO coming up, but not true. ?

Looking back at 2018, the SOS ended up being the exact same as the projected 2019 SOS is now.
Both schedules = .520

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...n-2019-sos-is-a-trash-stat-matt-nagy-trubisky

SOS is just an assumption based on the previous year. So until we look back after 2019, we won't know if harder.
We have common ground on your main point. We don't KNOW what the Bears' SOS will be next year. I also agree that using it as a predictive tool is questionable because it is well known that SOS based upon the prior year has a weak (but still positive) correlation to the next year's results.

My contention has more to do with the fact that the Bears ended with one of the easiest SOS in 2018. If we throw out the projected strength of schedule based upon last year's results and assume we know nothing about the teams coming up on the Bears' schedule you would still think the Bears will likely have a harder schedule just based upon the fact that they had one of the easiest in 2018.

Along with SOS, we also don't KNOW there will be more impactful injuries or fewer turnovers.

If you were to get even odds on whether the Bears finish #1 in defense again though, the smart money says "no". They might be the favorite to do so, but the same variance that limits the predictive value of historical SOS means the Bears are more likely to move back to the field than stay where they are or get even better.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Pagano is different, but the talent is likely in good shape.

Mack was late to the party
Floyd was playing with the cast
Smith was a rookie and did not play right away
Nichols was a rookie and did not play in the first game

I don't for a second think that we will return to the Mel Tucker days unless we have some major injuries.

If we take a step back, I think it will be a minor one.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good stuff here.

SOS is a weird "stat" that can be misleading before the season. More valuable looking back after IMO. Have to then look into the upcoming opponents and determine if they're likely to improve, stay same, or go to shit since SOS on last season won't include any off-season moves or health. TBH I've not looked into upcoming opponents' moves in great detail.

I'm fully confident in what CHI is doing though. They have as good a chance as any against anybody and the league is taking notice.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Don't forget Eddie Jackson's injury that hurt us in the playoffs. :(