Post Press Conference Mock Offseason

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The 2nd round is loaded with OTs.
That's good to hear. Since good LTs don't come up in FA very often, and if they do they are extremely expensive, since Leno seems to have lost it, and Bears can cut him after 2020, don't you think getting a LT in the 2nd, if the talent is there, is a top priority?

LT's can start their rookie year, and it would be great if the draft LT outplays Leno to start in 2020, but if he needs some development and NFL adjustment, you want that year to get him ready to start in 2021. Plus, you also don't want to skip 2020 and then be desperate for a LT in 2021. Don't you agree?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It's funny they use this pic for Durrant, which appears to me to be Durrant holding.

usatsi_11324830.jpg

Surprisingly to me, this mock doesn't have the Bears selecting a real OT. Unless there's no draft talent there, some folks are missing something obvious.

Must be thinking the Bears fill the o-line issues in free agency which i don't mind cause we need guys we already know can play in the NFL, especially at RG. It would really suck to draft who we think will be our starting RG and he turns out to need time or just can't hack it in the NFL which happens with players drafted everywhere in drafts.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's good to hear. Since good LTs don't come up in FA very often, and if they do they are extremely expensive, since Leno seems to have lost it, and Bears can cut him after 2020, don't you think getting a LT in the 2nd, if the talent is there, is a top priority?

LT's can start their rookie year, and it would be great if the draft LT outplays Leno to start in 2020, but if he needs some development and NFL adjustment, you want that year to get him ready to start in 2021. Plus, you also don't want to skip 2020 and then be desperate for a LT in 2021. Don't you agree?

I wonder if C.Leno could play LG and we could move Whitehair to RG. If we did draft a LT that beat Leno out for the starting LT spot that is. When we first got Leno we tried him out on the right side of the o-line and he just couldn't hack it but as soon as he was moved to LT he was clearly better. Some guys are just stronger using a certain side of their body as their strength side. I think it's the same for OLB's and have said that could be part of the problem with L.Floyd cause he used to do his rushing from the left side of the line but when we got Mack he was switched to the right side. He had his best year as a rookie rushing from the left side.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder if C.Leno could play LG and we could move Whitehair to RG. If we did draft a LT that beat Leno out for the starting LT spot that is. When we first got Leno we tried him out on the right side of the o-line and he just couldn't hack it but as soon as he was moved to LT he was clearly better. Some guys are just stronger using a certain side of their body as their strength side. I think it's the same for OLB's and have said that could be part of the problem with L.Floyd cause he used to do his rushing from the left side of the line but when we got Mack he was switched to the right side. He had his best year as a rookie rushing from the left side.

Leno is the worst run blocker on the team. I think the best place to move him is too the bench.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh absolutely. But as he’s the agent for both of them he’s going to try to help both of them not just one. He’s going to try to get them both starting jobs. And it could hurt Mariota if he did go to the bears and lose the starters competition because then he’d be a backup and less money for them both in the long run. I just don’t see it happening.

His fiduciary responsibility arises from negotiating a contract. He does not violate his fiduciary responsibility to Mitch by having Mariota sign with the Bears because Mitch is not a FA and thus he is not negotiating a contract for Mitch. He is negotiating one for Mariota.

So the question is where is the best spot for the current FA. You are acting like there are jobs out there where Mariota is going to be the unquestioned starter. There isn't. So the reality is the Bears and Trubs represents one of the easier spots for him to actually win the starting nod as the competition in Chicago is in fact weaker. This will especially be true when you exclude the teams most likely drafting a QB early. Not sure what teams out there people think Mariota can start for more easily than in Chicago.

As an aside, and if we talking agent strategy here ignoring their duty, I would only want them in 2 different locations if I felt confident both could win. Given their careers to date that is a terrible assumption to make. So given they are in fact two failed prospects, it is better to guarantee one of them starts but having them in Chicago together. But again an actual NFL agent is not suppose to be acting on this kind of selfish thought process.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I agree with Windy, I don't think Leno would be good anywhere but LT, and he's not even playing that like he used to, when he was alright. He doesn't move lineman, though he could be a weak passprotector as a Guard. Nah, he'd be riding the bench.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
“Montgomery gives them a backup with the size to get carries if Montgomery is hurt.”

I lol’d

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Leno is the worst run blocker on the team. I think the best place to move him is too the bench.

Yeah but the reality of it is there isn't many GM's/Teams that would put a player making that kind of money on the bench. It just doesn't happen very often if at all if that player is healthy.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah but the reality of it is there isn't many GM's/Teams that would put a player making that kind of money on the bench. It just doesn't happen very often if at all if that player is healthy.

The reality of it is Leno is nowhere near the worst run blocker on this team, and actually is still the best lineman on the roster right now.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

the stats say otherwise...running to the right was worse per carry...although Leno was no pinic.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Nice find, the unfortunate part is that what it really says is what we already knew that our o-line as a whole was bad at run blocking this year and most likely 4 of our starters will be back starting at their normal positions next year so they need to get their shit right in the offseason and put the work in to get better. Get a legit RG to add to the group, get Massie back who's best part of his game has always been his run blocking and all 5 need to come together as a 5 man unit and get it right.

The only guy i'm confident in is Whitehair and hoping J.Daniels comes in a better player cause those two and whoever we get to start at RG need to open the middle of that line up for Monty.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm gonna be watching James Morgan (QB Florida International) in the East-West Shrine game today at 3:00 on NFL Network. The Bears have already spoken with him and Daniel Jeremiah said he's one of the guys he's interested to watch today as well.