Pre-season IGT: State of the Franchise

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Preseason Schedule:

Games start tonight fellas, boys, and lady (I can hope).

I know its a bit of hassle, but I think kicking off the season in Prague next week is pretty neat. The guys who don't know Shaw(which is most of the team) should love him or hate him before they even disembark from the first 10 hour flight.

Before we begin, new or old thoughts are welcome about the state of things with Stan and re-tooling this club.

Alot has been made about the Jokiru for Nylander trade, but feeling out the lines the last two years...as woeful as the defense got with Manning and then the switch to Colloton, adjustment period, etc...the real hard part with the cap is finding that top 6 scorer. They waited a bit for Cat after Panarin, and he has arrived. They got lucky with Strome, although Smaltz was a heck of a player in some respects he lacked in areas and his puck carrying felt redundant paired to Kane. Kane was able to spark Taser, and now a solid 4 were so strong Saad, Caggs, Gus, Kahun, Kampf...it seemed as if everyone started to produce points which were matched in equal fervor by the deluge past inexperienced goalies until Crow returned.

Scoring 6 a game (and sometimes losing anyway) was pretty damn fun for a stretch though.

Lehnar fortifies Crow, and clearly Lehnar who had a 50/50 split share last year views that as ideal for himself. A repeat performance will indeed lead to his 8 mil per for 6 years, so he is playing for a ton of money this year.

Interestingly, Crow actually said he doesn't like it. He likes to play alot. haha...so somebody may not be happy with an equal sharing his lite, IDK we'll see.

As a chronic sufferer of mental illness and addiction I have a new favorite Blackhawk in Lehnar. I miss and am sad still about Emery, but this combo reminds me of the incredible season he and Crow shared where Crow carried the load but you could hardly get a goal past Emery when he played. Lehnar is a stud goalie, our own hockey Thor.

So...anyway, the cap issues that got jammed up, the bad trades for constant cup runs that caught up to us, etc...

several issues made it impossible to even imagine where the next scorer to put us over the top would come from. That is why I think we see Jokiru for Nylander so easily. They had Bovqist, Beudin, and Mitchell all near, they traded for betterans to slot above Jokiru anyway, they had KK rising, Dahlstrom flashing and its not just Nylander they went and got...

Q, Saarella, Kubalik, Nylander, Hogan, Barrett all fit a profile of the next potential hope. Where is our next 30 goal scorer?

From what I have seen of the Swiss hockey league, Kubalik will step in at 24 years old and drop 30 goals with this Blackhawks squad. What would be insane is if one of the other 5 could do it too, but I am getting ahead of myself.

The Blackhawks clearly went hunting for and stacked themselves with those potentials. They fixed the defense in the draft 2 and 3 years ago.

Dach and Kucherov coming up the center pipeline, as well as some big body grunts like Entwhistle and Gilbert...make the current farm much more exciting than it has been recently. Sikura is a flavor all to himself as well, as a defensive forward...and likely has to battle Jewels for a 4th line role next to Carp and Smith.

All of us fear deeply what Stan will do with all this ammo. haha. The guy has serious patience issues at times. I remember when he traded Garbutt during the franchises greatest win streak in history. I mean that is a tinkering problem when you are trading guys in the middle of record breaking win streaks. You have a problem.

Lots of us believe he has a problem, but I for one and damn impressed by the acquisitions and timing of things coming together. There will be a steady flow of talent arriving over the next 3 years without even counting trades, but its talent of all different skills, shapes, and sizes. I sense great balance to the team plan.

They wanted to be deeper and they got deeper. They wanted to be bigger and grittier for playoffs and they did that. they needed face-offs and they found several.

But can those wings step up and is the defense strong enough? My two questions for this team...can one of those 5 guys be a 30 goal scorer? Is the defense fast enough carrying both Seabrook and Maata and led by aging Keith?

One day Kane will get old and this ride will probably be over...but that day ain't here yet!!!

Lets go!!!!

97105452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Stan just frustrates the hell out of me. We needed to replace Hammer, finally, but instead of just getting 1, he goes out and gets 2 4.5 million dollar d men. Gus showed enough last year handing the PP and improving defensively, Dahlstrom played well, Joker must have done or said something, I do not think they ever expected him to be a scorer.

I was expecting him to go get Hammer back, like he went back and got Shaw and Saad for the money he refused to pay them at the time in an attempt to correct mistakes. I thought he had a buddy out in Arizona.

Brutal first month schedule, should have the hawks out of the conversation again.

Last thing I am worried about is Crow not being happy, but we yet again, got Delia resigned, Nalimov recinded his trade request so he must have thought he had a path, but got injured. and is already 25, big 6'5 goaltender, but they went out and got another part time tender at 5 million.

So the 4 d men are taking up, 20 million, 11 million in goal tenders, 22 million for toews and Kane and no room for top prospects.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Here's the full lineup for tonight's game which you can watch live on NBC Sports Chicago.

Quenneville - Carpenter - Perlini
Nylander - Kampf - Saarela
D. Sikura - Highmore - Wedin
McLaughlin - Nilsson - Versteeg

Gilbert - Boqvist
Koekkoek - Gustafsson
Beaudin - Tuulola
Dahlstrom

Delia
Tomkins

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Didn't even realize preseason started tonight. Awesome.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's the full lineup for tonight's game which you can watch live on NBC Sports Chicago.

Gilbert - Boqvist
Koekkoek - Gustafsson
Beaudin - Tuulola
Dahlstrom

Delia
Tomkins

Fascinating top 9 tonight...AND VERSTEEG!!!

Gus seems out of place on this list, 50 points and they play him with prospects and bottom 6 guys.

I'll be watching Q, Nylander-Kampf-Saarela, and Highmore-Wedin closely. The defense should also be riveting.

That might be the most offense firepower we see from a defense all year.

EDIT: On second thought, Gus getting a look against same matchups as Bovquist potentially.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Gilbert - Boqvist
Koekkoek - Gustafsson
Beaudin - Tuulola
Dahlstrom

Delia
Tomkins
Hey look, training camp is still going on.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Boqvist had a concussion, surprised to see him in there.
Can't wait to watch the game!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Boqvist had a concussion, surprised to see him in there.
Can't wait to watch the game!
Dach had a concussion, Bovquist minor shoulder, Kucherov knee + shoulder from 1 period against Wild scrubs

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just had a seizure and threw up from the picture of it alone.

Jesus that thing is ugly, and way way too fucking bright.

Why does it hang so low, please raise 20 feet you can't see anything else...like the game.
I remember when I was in high school and Gordon Tech got the old stadium scoreboard. That was about the coolest thing that happened at that school.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Excited to see Boqvist play. Need him NHL ready ASAP. Keith isn't going to be around much longer.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anyone has Tribune access, supposedly this tells us Nylander had a good day yesterday. Lets hope he has a good day today.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...atojw7TQYFctKz-clRbVJjDVquobjatNinvxbXywOhQPY
I will record tonights game and watch twice, as its doubtful I will get too many pre-season games on national tv. Usually however they do broadcast one of the Detroit Red Wings scrimmages for the original 6 value, so fingers crossed this won't be the only one I see, I'll have to hear it from you guys after this.

Also the last game against a foreign opponent probably makes it to me, but there will be players I don't get to see on those nights.

Rooting personally for Q2, Saarella, Nylander, Kubalik, Dach, Kucherov, Entwhistle, Holms to all make strong impressions. Entwhistle has a pair of shoulders and attitude that I like, the others have the kind of skill to push veterans to play harder with a good showing even if they don't make it, will be nice to get some upward pressure around here.

You could make a good case to fire Stan Bowman right now and thank him for the youth army he has built, I am one of the few big fans of Bowman but even I see it might be best if somebody else finishes this job and deals these cards judiciously moving forward. There is too much temptation here and he is going to be going trade crazy the next 18 months....some of it necessary to navigate expansion draft (heard that is ideal time to move Seabrook).

I haven't talked much yet about Holms or included him in discussions as he was a late arrival. He was voted a KHL all-star and is another offensive defenseman. He is a bit naive coming into this situation, I think he expects to make it and probably has no idea the depth of the Hawks defense right now. But if he shows well I think he can be valuable and is another left handed shot down in rockford on a two year two way deal.

He won't like being sent to AHL for long, but he wants to give it a shot after getting stuck there 5 years ago. The Hawks have exhausted every avenue to get better, its fairly impressive. Our international bounty is the envy of the league.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bovquist- 2 points, 1 goal. His goal was nasty and he stole the show as usual. Bovquist Goal (speaks for itself)
Nylander- 2 points, 1 goal. Showing good skill and high hockey IQ.
Saarela- 1 goal. redirected a Gus shot. Nice sized kid, good net work on that play.
Gus- 1 point. It was a good shot Saarela helped along, little low.
Kampf-1 point. His line didn't disappoint with 4 points total. Saarela-Kampf-Nylander make first statement.
Sikura-1 point. Bovquist did all the work on this, rebounding his deflected shot and carrying around the net.
Highmore-1 point. Same goal as above, freebee.

Hawks were at 49% faceoffs with Carp, Kampf, Highmore, Niilson, and Q (1 of 2) holding their own about equally

Delia was Delia. High's and low's.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Bovquist played well enough last preseason to earn a spot, now there are an extra 9 million in his way.

Last year they were cheap, this year they will be stupid to leave him off.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
If anyone has Tribune access, supposedly this tells us Nylander had a good day yesterday. Lets hope he has a good day today.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...atojw7TQYFctKz-clRbVJjDVquobjatNinvxbXywOhQPY
I will record tonights game and watch twice, as its doubtful I will get too many pre-season games on national tv. Usually however they do broadcast one of the Detroit Red Wings scrimmages for the original 6 value, so fingers crossed this won't be the only one I see, I'll have to hear it from you guys after this.

Also the last game against a foreign opponent probably makes it to me, but there will be players I don't get to see on those nights.

Rooting personally for Q2, Saarella, Nylander, Kubalik, Dach, Kucherov, Entwhistle, Holms to all make strong impressions. Entwhistle has a pair of shoulders and attitude that I like, the others have the kind of skill to push veterans to play harder with a good showing even if they don't make it, will be nice to get some upward pressure around here.

You could make a good case to fire Stan Bowman right now and thank him for the youth army he has built, I am one of the few big fans of Bowman but even I see it might be best if somebody else finishes this job and deals these cards judiciously moving forward. There is too much temptation here and he is going to be going trade crazy the next 18 months....some of it necessary to navigate expansion draft (heard that is ideal time to move Seabrook).

I haven't talked much yet about Holms or included him in discussions as he was a late arrival. He was voted a KHL all-star and is another offensive defenseman. He is a bit naive coming into this situation, I think he expects to make it and probably has no idea the depth of the Hawks defense right now. But if he shows well I think he can be valuable and is another left handed shot down in rockford on a two year two way deal.

He won't like being sent to AHL for long, but he wants to give it a shot after getting stuck there 5 years ago. The Hawks have exhausted every avenue to get better, its fairly impressive. Our international bounty is the envy of the league.
Right click the article link, select open in private window.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Right click the article link, select open in private window.

I liked the coach C interview about him on the radio during the second period intermission. Said the staff is working on getting play out of him that the buffalo staff was not able to get out of him. Said he has great vision, flies on the ice, sounds like a bunch of this was after this interview and he had a goal and an assist.

Sure seems like he is making him earn his spot, I dont know what we will consider C if he turns around all these *failed* early first round draft picks they have been getting. Just will be nice when we create our own supply.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bovquist played well enough last preseason to earn a spot, now there are an extra 9 million in his way.

Last year Bovquist had family advice not to go pro, to stay amateur, to take the time he needed to avoid concussions. A year on cheap buses will change your mind, or Soupy got to him oversea's...and its Bovquist who made the initiative and has announced he wants to be "pro" and start his two-way time clock.

He had a nasty concussion in high school and was small, he wasn't ready emotionally to battle men. Soupy taught him the skills he needed to do so confidently and develop the craft of defensive survival. The offense was there...however toward the end of the season and across all his off-season play it has recently elevated to where he is deeking the shit out of people and roofing shots at will.

I think he scored 6 goals in his last amateur game (not counting jr's and summer competitions)

Lets just be happy its working out and we were lucky to get him at 9 specifically because of the concussions, size, and his needing some time.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He might be so good that they have no choice or their players will get mad at them.

However...they really want to send him to Rockford for 3-6 weeks to sort out some contracts, deal with Dahlstrom, Holm, KK, and maybe Gus if they got the right offer.

There are still older better defenders ahead of him, and the expansion draft to worry about.
Patience...we got a good one and he is almost here. I care not if its now or in 3 months or 12 if they are being smart.