Pre-Season Week 3: Thoughts and Observations

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
-Lets start with the most obvious and important result of last night. Eddie Piniero going 5/5 with a crushed 58 yarder was the single biggest thing to happen in that game and a star QB retired at halftime. I wanted Nagy to send him out again from 56, but I started to realize that this needed to be a launching pad for Piniero and a miss would have soured it. He looked like a guy who should be kicking week 1 for the Bears. It was also nice to see a high volume of kicks and not this splitting kicks that left each guy with 1 or 2 and a harder evaluation.

-I am not going to throw stones at Chase Daniel. He is playing in a high school offense with a horrendous abomination of an OL and he is out there just trying to survive.

-I am also not sure how you keep Ryan Nall off the team. He continues to produce, he can play FB and TE in a pinch, and he looks good in short yardage and has some big play ability. I know Whyte is fast, but the Bears have the best kick returner in the league in Patterson and I think Nall will be better covering kicks, which was an issue for the Bears last season.

-I keep waiting for Bradley Sowell to show me something because I think he is making the team, but I continue to not be impressed with much of anything that he does.

-Ian Bunting continues to catch the ball really well. I think he ends up on the PR to work on his blocking, but the guy has some seriously soft hands and made a beautiful adjustment to the ball on the Bray big gain.

-Jesper Holstad, has my attention. Another very solid catcher of the football.

-Cornelius Lucas is really bad.

-T.J Clemmings is not much better.

-Alex Bars is a keeper and had some nice moments at LT. I am going to rewatch and give more thorough impressions tomorrow.

-Kylie Fitts is bad. I know he had a sack when the OT did not get out of his stance, but my god the rest of the time he is getting owned.

-Isaiah Irving needs to start being more decisive in his pass rushes. He has a decent burst, but it is like he doesn't want to commit to one more or the other and sort of gets caught in the middle.

-James Vaughters probably needs to make the team. He is the only backup OLB that has shown any consistent pass rush. He gets off the ball hard and actually seems to have a plan for getting to the QB. He played special teams for the Stampeders in the CFL [8 tackles] which makes it seem like a natural fit as the 5 rusher.

-Adbullah Anderson might knock Bullard off the team. He brings a ton of energy and is actually an okay interior pass rusher.

-I am not sure what Bullard really does well. From time to time he makes a decent run stop and then goes invisible for the rest of the quarter. I do not see the quick first step and penetrating ability I was expecting.

-I think Nick Williams will make the team again. He appears to be the best backup NT option and he has the power to play early downs.

-Kwit is a guy I want to cut, but then he makes a bunch of plays. I think we know he is not a long term starter or an impact guy, but he plays the run well, blitzs well, and can play special teams and call the defense.

-If the Bears keep Iggy because he is a draft pick and cut Josh Woods I think that would be idiotic. Woods looks like a LB and has the same speed and athletic ability as Iggy. Iggy has the instincts of a rock. He looks lost most of the time and outside of a super nice blitz I thought he as abused in the screen game.

-Duke Shelley looks like a good pick.

-Deon Bush has come alive, I would not be shocked if HHCD gets nicked up that Bush does not take his job.

-Was hoping to see more out of Kevin Tolliver in the games. Not that he has been bad, but I was hoping he would look better than the backups like a 1.5 instead of a number 2.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Good call on my sleeper pick Woods. Kid is adjusting nicely to LB. Just keeps making plays.

I wonder if they are saving what Sowell can do until the reg season...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Bray looked better Than Daniel, but of course Bray was going up against scrubs..

Is Bray eligible for PS?

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I agree on A Anderson, he's shown something in each game. It reminds me of how RRH stood out when he was but a young UDFA.

I really like Vaughters, he appears far more consistent than Fitts and I thought he outplayed Irving in some series too.

I posted about this in the gametime post, but any idea why Duck was held out so long, I didn't see him until the last half of the 4th...

Its hard with Kwit, he can do some positive things, but he's such a liability in passing, that teams can pick on him, or pencil him in only to rush the QB. Josh Woods can play, he needs to stick around.

Do you think Coward's injury is serious?

I don't see how they can waste a roster spot on Sowell, so many younger (cheap) kids are gunning for that spot.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
-Lets start with the most obvious and important result of last night. Eddie Piniero going 5/5 with a crushed 58 yarder was the single biggest thing to happen in that game and a star QB retired at halftime. I wanted Nagy to send him out again from 56, but I started to realize that this needed to be a launching pad for Piniero and a miss would have soured it. He looked like a guy who should be kicking week 1 for the Bears. It was also nice to see a high volume of kicks and not this splitting kicks that left each guy with 1 or 2 and a harder evaluation.

-I am not going to throw stones at Chase Daniel. He is playing in a high school offense with a horrendous abomination of an OL and he is out there just trying to survive.

-I am also not sure how you keep Ryan Nall off the team. He continues to produce, he can play FB and TE in a pinch, and he looks good in short yardage and has some big play ability. I know Whyte is fast, but the Bears have the best kick returner in the league in Patterson and I think Nall will be better covering kicks, which was an issue for the Bears last season.

-I keep waiting for Bradley Sowell to show me something because I think he is making the team, but I continue to not be impressed with much of anything that he does.

-Ian Bunting continues to catch the ball really well. I think he ends up on the PR to work on his blocking, but the guy has some seriously soft hands and made a beautiful adjustment to the ball on the Bray big gain.

-Jesper Holstad, has my attention. Another very solid catcher of the football.

-Cornelius Lucas is really bad.

-T.J Clemmings is not much better.

-Alex Bars is a keeper and had some nice moments at LT. I am going to rewatch and give more thorough impressions tomorrow.

-Kylie Fitts is bad. I know he had a sack when the OT did not get out of his stance, but my god the rest of the time he is getting owned.

-Isaiah Irving needs to start being more decisive in his pass rushes. He has a decent burst, but it is like he doesn't want to commit to one more or the other and sort of gets caught in the middle.

-James Vaughters probably needs to make the team. He is the only backup OLB that has shown any consistent pass rush. He gets off the ball hard and actually seems to have a plan for getting to the QB. He played special teams for the Stampeders in the CFL [8 tackles] which makes it seem like a natural fit as the 5 rusher.

-Adbullah Anderson might knock Bullard off the team. He brings a ton of energy and is actually an okay interior pass rusher.

-I am not sure what Bullard really does well. From time to time he makes a decent run stop and then goes invisible for the rest of the quarter. I do not see the quick first step and penetrating ability I was expecting.

-I think Nick Williams will make the team again. He appears to be the best backup NT option and he has the power to play early downs.

-Kwit is a guy I want to cut, but then he makes a bunch of plays. I think we know he is not a long term starter or an impact guy, but he plays the run well, blitzs well, and can play special teams and call the defense.

-If the Bears keep Iggy because he is a draft pick and cut Josh Woods I think that would be idiotic. Woods looks like a LB and has the same speed and athletic ability as Iggy. Iggy has the instincts of a rock. He looks lost most of the time and outside of a super nice blitz I thought he as abused in the screen game.

-Duke Shelley looks like a good pick.

-Deon Bush has come alive, I would not be shocked if HHCD gets nicked up that Bush does not take his job.

-Was hoping to see more out of Kevin Tolliver in the games. Not that he has been bad, but I was hoping he would look better than the backups like a 1.5 instead of a number 2.
-With all of the backup OT players getting hurt, I am beginning to think that Bars is going to be our best bet as backup OG/OT.

-I have to say that Kwit made some plays this game.

- I didn't have the volume up when the Bears got a holding call at the goal line, canceling a touchdown. I believe that the TE was called for the holding. If so, did anyone see the awful blocking technique of Ridley. He looked like a backpack of a Colts player. He had his hands wrapped around the back of the defender and was trying to pull him back.

- Bray looked a million times better than Chase ever looked and he was also dealing with a HS scheme and bad blocking. It is time to make Chase gain his position on the team. The money paid to him could be better used elsewhere.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
-Lets start with the most obvious and important result of last night. Eddie Piniero going 5/5 with a crushed 58 yarder was the single biggest thing to happen in that game and a star QB retired at halftime. I wanted Nagy to send him out again from 56, but I started to realize that this needed to be a launching pad for Piniero and a miss would have soured it.

I thought that the fact Nagy is so spooked that he didn't even try a FG in preseason was souring enough. I was in disbelief. The pendulum has swung the other way...Nagy is coddling Piniero like the Cubs coddled Yu Darvish in 2018.

If Piniero hit from 56, then I think the discussion would be over. If Piniero missed from 56, then I think people would rationalize it and say "at least he hit from 58"...there would be no outcry for Pace to immediately acquire another kicker. Nagy not sending Piniero out is the worst possible outcome...Pineiro didn't get a chance to succeed, and you now call in to question Nagy's decision-making skills.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needed a big game and had one. The game played to his strengths though as the Colts couldn't protect at all and that kept him from having to do much in passing(re: coverage) situations. He played well when he needed to, is steady, and contributes on ST's.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought that the fact Nagy is so spooked that he didn't even try a FG in preseason was souring enough. I was in disbelief. The pendulum has swung the other way...Nagy is coddling Piniero like the Cubs coddled Yu Darvish in 2018.

If Piniero hit from 56, then I think the discussion would be over. If Piniero missed from 56, then I think people would rationalize it and say "at least he hit from 58"...there would be no outcry for Pace to immediately acquire another kicker. Nagy not sending Piniero out is the worst possible outcome...Pineiro didn't get a chance to succeed, and you now call in to question Nagy's decision-making skills.
Agreed. Not sure how missing from 56 would have soured anything. He nailed a 58 yarder already.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I too want Kwit cut. I realize he is decent against the run, but he is a huge liability in pass protection. He is simply too slow. If he's out there and I'm the opposing OC, I am targeting his ass on every single down.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Its hard with Kwit, he can do some positive things, but he's such a liability in passing, that teams can pick on him, or pencil him in only to rush the QB. Josh Woods can play, he needs to stick around.

Yep. Exactly.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kwiatkoski seems like a guy you want in short yardage/special teams lineup.....he should be nowhere near a passing down.

Iyiegbuniwe doesn't look like he has a intuitive NFL bone in his body....

Bears have a backup ILB problem.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Not sure how missing from 56 would have soured anything. He nailed a 58 yarder already.

It wouldn't have been perfect.... and Chicago fans are looking for PERFECT out of their kicker... evidently.

I thought it was a wasted opportunity to get another live rep from long distance.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't have been perfect.... and Chicago fans are looking for PERFECT out of their kicker... evidently.

I thought it was a wasted opportunity to get another live rep from long distance.

What the fans want means very little.

The Bears already made up their mind on the kicker. Its possible they wanted to accomplish something else on that play.

As a fan I would have liked to see another attempt. But what I want to see shouldn't and doesn't matter.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What the fans want means very little.

The Bears already made up their mind on the kicker. Its possible they wanted to accomplish something else on that play.

As a fan I would have liked to see another attempt. But what I want to see shouldn't and doesn't matter.

Are you looking for a heated debate about fan influence on NFL teams?

Not sure what you're doing here.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
I like Andersen over Bullard. (Bullard just hasn't produced.) I want to cut Kwit......but just can't....he will show up just when you are about to close the book on him. With that said....Woods and Vaughter need to be on this 53 roster....not just for ST. Am so uninspired by our TE sitch. So no one wants to step up and earn a position?! I'd go Princeton & Harvard just out of principle....Trey & Adam.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you looking for a heated debate about fan influence on NFL teams?

Not sure what you're doing here.

lol, heated....

I don't think making or not making the FG attempt, based on what the fans wanted to see, played into Nagy's thought process.

Hester023

Liked Posts:
Maybe we can squeeze a 7th round pick out of Kwit, since he does have experience. I know trading inside your division is unlikely but would the Lions pay a conditional 7th for him?