Projected Cubs Line-ups

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
What are they? Is Schwarbs gonna be our lead off guy?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
to begin year

1) Heyward
2) Baby Ruth
3) Bryant
4) Rizzo
5) Zobrist
6) Russell
7) Baez
8) Contreras
9) Arrieta

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Heyward first? LOLOLOLO. Would make him the lowest OBP lead off hitter in MLB. The good news he cant hit into a DP in the first inning

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Unless they get a real lead off guy, I would expect them to put a hitter ninth more often this year.

I think part of the argument is how do you more the MVP out of the two hole for Schwarber.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber LF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Zobrist 2B
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Contreras C
Lester P
Jay CF

For opening day

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
1) Zoe
2) Bryant
3) Rizzo
4) Schwarber
5) Heyward
6) Russell
7) Contreras
8) Pitcher
9) Baez

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs' Javier Baez: Could platoon with Zobrist at second base
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Baez and Ben Zobrist could form a platoon at second base this year, with Baez used against lefties, Mike Petriello of MLB.com reports.

While this would limit the amount of time Baez sees at second, he still figures to play plenty for the Cubs in 2017. Last season, Baez appeared at third base, second base, first base, shortstop and left field, and he'll probably be used in a super-utility role again this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs' Ben Zobrist: Could bat leadoff this year
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Zobrist is a top candidate to lead off for the Cubs this year, Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports.

The Cubs are looking to replace Dexter Fowler's production atop the lineup, and Zobrist is a logical choice for the spot. He's led off before, and he was second on the team last year (behind Fowler) with a .386 on-base percentage. Kyle Schwarber is also in consideration to bat first, and it's possible that manager Joe Maddon simply mixes and matches who leads off. It will be interesting to see what Chicago's lineups look like in spring training.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1) Zoe
2) Bryant
3) Rizzo
4) Schwarber
5) Heyward
6) Russell
7) Contreras
8) Pitcher
9) Baez

Joe likes using a R/L/R mix. Don't expect a 3-5 being all left. If he went with Zo leading off then expect Zo, Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Heyward, Contreras.

That would be a alt line up but he used it in the series.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs' Javier Baez: Could platoon with Zobrist at second base
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Baez and Ben Zobrist could form a platoon at second base this year, with Baez used against lefties, Mike Petriello of MLB.com reports.

While this would limit the amount of time Baez sees at second, he still figures to play plenty for the Cubs in 2017. Last season, Baez appeared at third base, second base, first base, shortstop and left field, and he'll probably be used in a super-utility role again this year.

He can say that now but if Baez gets on fire and the CF situation is not producing that will change.

I personally believe we will see Zo platooning in both LF and 2B giving the advantage to Baez and Schwarber. But if Kyle proves to be durable most likely he goes full time because he has little gaps in his hitting.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Joe likes using a R/L/R mix. Don't expect a 3-5 being all left. If he went with Zo leading off then expect Zo, Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Heyward, Contreras.

That would be a alt line up but he used it in the series.
Actually though except for Rizzo hitting 3rd and probably Bryant hitting 2nd. The lineup order can be anything. Knowing Maddon.

Sent from my Samsung S6 Edge

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Actually though except for Rizzo hitting 3rd and probably Bryant hitting 2nd. The lineup order can be anything. Knowing Maddon.

To a degree. You will normally see Bryant then Rizzo together. That doesn't change much if any. The rest should flow around them but don't expect low OBA at the topwasting AB's

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
To a degree. You will normally see Bryant then Rizzo together. That doesn't change much if any. The rest should flow around them but don't expect low OBA at the topwasting AB's
Decent oba is pretty much to be expected at the top. And you can bank on Kyle batting together with Rizzo and Bryant.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Decent oba is pretty much to be expected at the top. And you can bank on Kyle batting together with Rizzo and Bryant.

I'm thinking they will run 2 basic line ups:

Zo, Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Heyward, Contreras, Baez, Pitcher

Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Zo, Russell, Heyward, Contreras, pitcher, Jay

I can see they ending up playing Schwarber close to every day and then pushing Jay and Almora into reserve roles. Things will be flexible but in the post season that ends and they put the top 8 every day.

We saw how that went last year. If Jay is having a strong season and pushes a .350 OBA then this changes. We could see him leading off or being a staple in the 9 hole with Almora playing LF late inning.

Anything can happen but playing time really comes down to performance.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:

I can see they ending up playing Schwarber close to every day and then pushing Jay and Almora into reserve roles. Things will be flexible but in the post season that ends and they put the top 8 every day.

We saw how that went last year. If Jay is having a strong season and pushes a .350 OBA then this changes. We could see him leading off or being a staple in the 9 hole with Almora playing LF late inning.

I agree with that. But in concerns to the bolded, who has the shortest and longest leashed amongst the position players?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

That sounds about right but if Heyward does turn in around I expect him to be in the leadoff mix as well. He's a good base runner and has a lifetime .348 OBP. If he puts up anything close to his 2013, 2014 and 2015 campaigns he's a natural fit there. I think Almora is going to play more than Jay though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That sounds about right but if Heyward does turn in around I expect him to be in the leadoff mix as well. He's a good base runner and has a lifetime .348 OBP. If he puts up anything close to his 2013, 2014 and 2015 campaigns he's a natural fit there. I think Almora is going to play more than Jay though.

I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan of Almora. He lacks the OBA part in his toolbox. He holds plus D but so does Jay and Hayward. So imo his is a inferior option to either and is just taking AB's away from better players.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan of Almora. He lacks the OBA part in his toolbox. He holds plus D but so does Jay and Hayward. So imo his is a inferior option to either and is just taking AB's away from better players.
I'm going to predict that by June the Cubs will have a new leadoff hitting CFer, that won't be on roster opening day.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have proposed Scwarber in consideration...together with the left right left game...and I think it becomes clear for me the right thing to do. I'm dissappointed they moved away from pitcher at 8, because I think its the right thing for 2017 cubs.

1. Schwarbaby LF
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Zobrist 2B
5. Russell SS
6. Contreras C
7. Heyward RF
8. Arrieta
9. Jay CF

Zobrist would get 120 RBI's in this scenario. Zobrist/Baez/Jay are absolutely capable of pushing Heyward into most expensive bench player status.

Heyward is going to have to platoon into centerfield in my opinion if he wants to find full plate time, because it seems there would be times you would want Baez/Zobrist both in the lineup most likely out of those 4. At some point, those 2 will both be hot, and you will have to decide.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Knowing that the no. 1 spot is assured to leadoff once a game.
With the hitters the Cubs have now, I'd actually consider hitting the pitcher 7th..

1. Schwarber
2. Bryant
3. Rizzo
4. Zobrist
5. Contreras
6. Russell
7. Pitcher
8. Jay/Almora
9. Heyward

Baez can go in 9 hole when he starts over Zobrist..
Put Heyward 5th and Contreras 4th...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk