Quarter Season Mock Offseason

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know the jokes are coming, but you clicked on this because you love them.

This is a reflection of what we have seen in the first 4 weeks and some of the contracts that are coming up.

2020 Cap Space: 13 million

Releases: 21.3 million saved

OG Kyle Long 8.1 million
CB Prince Amukamara 8 million
WR Cordarelle Patterson 5.2 million

Cap Room: 34.7 million

Extensions: 3.5 Saved [2021: 59 million]

S Eddie Jackson [Landon Collins] [-5 million 2020]

Old Money: 1 year 900k
New Money: 6 years 87.1 million/50 guaranteed/28 at signings/15 SB
Total Money: 7 years 88 million/50 guaranteed/28 at signing/15 SB

Year 1: 3 GS/3 SB [6]
Year 2: 4 GS/3 SB/3 GRB [10]
Year 3: 5 GS/3 SB/ 6 RB [14]
Year 4: 5 GSI/3 SB/4 RB [14]
Year 5: 6 Salary/3 SB/5 RB [14]
Year 6: 15 Salary [15]
Year 7: 17 Salary [17]

RB Tarik Cohen [Devonta Freeman +] [-4 million 2020]
Old Money: 1 year 900k
New Money: 4 years 36.1 million/23 guaranteed/17 at signing/15 SB
Total Money: 5 years 37 million/23 guaranteed/17 at signing/15 SB

Year 1: 2 GS/3 SB [5]
Year 2: 4 GS/3 SB/ [7]
Year 3: 3 salary/3 SB/ 2 RB [8]
Year 4: 5 Salary/3 SB [8]
Year 5: 6 Salary/3 SB [9]

OLB Leonard Floyd [Anthony Barr] [+7 million 2020]
Old Money: 1 year 13.2 million
New Money 5 years 67.8 million/33 guaranteed/18 at signing/15 SB
Total Money: 6 years 81 million/33 guaranteed/18 at signing/15 SB

Year 2: 1 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/3 RB [10]
Year 3: 5 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/ 3 RB [14]
Year 4: 10 Salary/3 SB/3 RB [16]
Year 5: 14 Salary/3 SB [17]
Year 6: 18 Salary [18]

WR Allen Robinson [Mike Evans] [+9 million 2020]
Old Money: 1 year 15 million
New Money: 4 years 68 million/38 guaranteed
Total Money: 5 years 83 million/38 guaranteed

Year 2: 1 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/3 RB [10]
Year 3: 5 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/ 3 RB [14]
Year 4: 10 Salary/3 SB/3 RB [16]
Year 5: 14 Salary/3 SB [17]

DE Roy Robertson-Harris [Henry Anderson] [-3.5 million 2020]
Old Money: 1 year 4.5 million [2nd round tender]
New Money: 4 years 32 million/14 guaranteed
Total Money: 5 years 36.5 million/18.5 guaranteed/7.5 signing bonus

Year 1: 2 GS/1.5 SB [3.5]
Year 2: 1 Salary/1 GSI/1.5 SB/3 RB [6.5]
Year 3: 1 Salary/2 GSI/1.5 SB/ 3 RB [7.5]
Year 4: 7 Salary/1.5 SB [8.5]
Year 5: 11 Salary/1.5 SB [12.5]

Cap Space: 38.2 Million

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Re-signings: 27.5 million spent [2021: 21 million spent]

S Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix 4 years 42 million/23 guaranteed/8 signing bonus

I think HHCD has been very good and with the report that the Bears were in on Landon Collins, even with having to pay Jackson, that makes it pretty clear they are not afraid to invest in the safety position. HHCD makes plays on the ball and has been part of 3 takeaways in 4 games.

Year 1: 5 GS/2 SB [7]
Year 2: 3 Salary/2 SB/3 RB [8]
Year 3: 8 Salary/2 SB/ 3 RB [13]
Year 4: 8 Salary/2 SB/4 RB [14]

LB Danny Trevathan 3 years 25 million/21 guaranteed/6 signing bonus

He is one of the heartbeat guys on defense and with Roquan's personal issues the Bears should ensure that there leader and play caller is around. These are the type of moves you can make when you are not paying a QB 30 million a season.

Year 2: 1 Salary/1 GSI/2 SB/3 RB [8]
Year 3: 2 Salary/3 GSI/2 SB/ 3 RB [10]

DE Nick Williams 3 years 9 million/5 guaranteed/3 signing bonus

This teams dominance comes from it's DL depth and the fact that there backups own the line of scrimmage. They should keep that going and not lose anything from that group. Williams is 30 and has never been paid and this way he puts a 5 million dollar check in his pocket before the end of the season ideally.

Year 1: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 2: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]
Year 3: 3 Salary/1 SB [4]

OLB Aaron Lynch 2 years 6 million/3 guaranteed/2 signing bonus

He is fat, he doesn't practice, but he is good on the field and he even looked good rushing inside against the Vikings. He is the ideal backup OLB.

Year 1: 1 GS/1 SB [2]
Year 2: 3 Salary/1 SB [4]*released before this happens

QB Chase Daniel 1 year 3.5 million/3.5 guaranteed

This signing is so that you do not need to rush a young QB if Trubisky flops or is injured in 2020.

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 1 year 1 million
OG Ted Larsen 1 year 1 million
LS Patrick Scales 1 year 1 million
OT Rashaad Coward 1 year 1 million
S DHC 1 year 1 million

Cap Room: 10.8 Million

Free Agency spent [2021: million]

TE Nick Vannett [Pittsburgh] 3 years 12 million/4 guaranteed [3]

The Bears TEs are not good blockers. There are times when Shaheen looks alright and then others where he is standing around like a confused Frankenstien. If the Bears need to run the ball and be more physical to make up for non-elite QB play they need a TE that they can trust to do that. Vannett can block, he can threaten in the passing game well enough, and he can step in as the primary Y and not get pushed around like we are currently seeing.

092419-vannett.jpg

Cap Room: 11.2 Million

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Draft: 4 Million Spent [2021: 5 million]

2. QB Jalen Hurts [OU] 6'1" 223lbs.

Mitchell Trubisky has not proven himself to be a franchise player. He has been wildly inconsistent and injured and the Bears should not detonate an elite, maybe generational defense, so that they can pay Trubisky 30 million a season. He simply is not that much better than a draftable option that will come with 1/15th the price tag and allow you to keep defensive players like HHCD and RRH. I like Hurts, I like him even more that he has spent a year with Lincoln Riley and taken a step as a passer. I like that he can run the RPO game. I like that he has the arm strength and willingness to push the ball downfield. I like that he has played in big moments, at the biggest programs, and seems wired to handle that level of pressure and the requirements of being the guy. I would like to see what Nagy can do picking and building a QB from the ground up.

This is a win-win for the Bears. If Mitch plays really well you can re-sign him and trade Hurts after he has spent a year being developed by Nagy. If Trubisky continues to be Trubisky, you have Hurts developed by Nagy for a year and ready to step in while making 1.5 million.

Oklahoma-v-UCLA-a122c22fef92ffe660808b29430ceb7b.jpg

2. OT Mekhi Becton [Louisville] 6'7" 340lbs.

The Bears are painfully soft on the OL and their struggle to run the ball has now gone well into a 2nd season. The Bears need to get bigger, more physical, and more imposing on the OL. Charles Leno makes 9/season and has been bad in 2019. He plays way to soft and makes running to his side of the field almost pointless. Enter Becton who can come in and compete to take his job and save the Bears some money while getting bigger and more physical. Becton is a mountain of a man who has the length and feet to play LT and the size to be a featured part of the run game. Becton reminds me of Jason Peters if he hits his ceiling.

8155663.jpg

5. S Reggie Floyd [Virginia Tech] 6' 222lbs.

With the amount of blitzing that Pagano has shown he likes to do and in big moments the Bears need to ensure that they have guys in the backend who can cover and tackle. Floyd has 5 career interceptions, is an 80 tackle guy, and is averaging 6 tackles a game in 2019. He comes from a system that has produced good DBs and physical players and he should add depth to a SS position that needs to be cheap with what the Bears have invested at the safety spots. Floyd has the size as well to be in the box, blitz, and do some of the things that the position is now being asked to do.

8239961.jpeg

5. CB Patrice Rene [UNC] 6'2" 208lbs.

The Bears are probably going to have to go cheaper at one of the CB spots if they want to retain guys like HHCD and RRH and they need to add more bodies and options to the competition. Tolliver, Denmark, and now Rene give them 3 big athletic options at that spot that are not making a ton of money. The Bears clearly like size on the outside and Rene has the size and length that they desire. Last season he had 2 interceptions and 5 passes defensed and has shown ball skills in his career.

images

5. OLB Kendall Coleman [Syracuse] 6'3" 258lbs.

The Bears need to add more youth and depth at OLB, but I do not think they need to add someone high because of the level of play of the top 3 guys. Say what you want about Lynch and he is fat and he does not practice, but he makes plays when he is on the field. The Bears need to develop a long term 3rd rusher and someone who can replace Isaiah Irving this season. Coleman has the physical tools and the power to be that guy.

Kendall+Coleman+Notre+Dame+v+Syracuse+Y0Or-xTamAIl.jpg

6. OG John Simpson [Clemson] 6'4" 330lbs.

The Bears should put 3 big bodied earth movers into the RG competition and see who comes out the other side. Bars, Coward, and Simpson are all guys who can move people and that is what the Bears need. Simpson is a powerful mauler who comes from a spread-zone based attack.

5a43532792cea.image.jpg

7. RB Elijah Mitchell [UL Lafayette] 5'11" 225lbs

This is a long term pick of a power RB that can replace Mike Davis when his contract expires after 2020 and they can save some money and get more straight ahead power in their backfield. Mitchell is a no non-sense hammer who runs hard and forward and can be used in that role and in situations where you may want to run out the clock. Mitchell had 13 TDs last year and 30 catches, so there may be some untapped receiving skills there. Mitchell probably hits the PR for the 2020 season until an injury.

5751a909e215a.image.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky/Hurts, Daniel
RB: Montgomery, Davis, Cohen, Whyte, Miller [PR]
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Ridley
TE: Burton, Vannett, Shaheen, Braunecker
LT: Leno/Becton
LG: Whitehair, Larsen
C: Daniels
RG: Bars/Coward/Simpson
RT: Massie

RE: Nichols, RRH
NT: Goldman, Williams
LE: Hicks, Abdullah
OLB: Floyd, Coleman
ILB: Smith, KPL
ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Woods
OLB: Mack, Lynch
CB: Fuller, Skrine, Tolliver, Shelley, Rene, Denmark
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: HHCD, Floyd

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guiding Observations

1. Trubisky has not taken a step and cannot be paid big money.
2. The OL has been an over paid disappointment.
3. The defense is elite and needs to be kept together for as long as financially possible.
4. The defense needs an infusion of young cheap depth.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Tua
Herbert
Fromm
Eason
Burrow

Hard to see him busting past those guys.

Perfect world Fromm falls, he is the ideal QB for this system.
I really don’t like Fromm as a QB. He’s already a game manager in college. We need a play maker if we are going to burn a pick on a QB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't pay Tarik that much. Otherwise it's solid imo.

RRH's money also isn't figured into the cap next year, so you're not actually saving money against the cap in 2020 by extending him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Think you are handing out more money then we'll actually have so not sure all those moves add up with our salary cap but if we had that lineup on offense and defense in 2020 i'm feeling really good about the future.

That's a lot of money for Cohen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't pay Tarik that much. Otherwise it's solid imo.

RRH's money also isn't figured into the cap next year, so you're not actually saving money against the cap in 2020 by extending him.

Cohen is the toughest one to figure out.

You are correct on RRH, I will update.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All aboard drafting a QB in the 2nd!!

giphy.gif

I think it is the best plan to use Trubisky's 4th year to get his cheap replacement ready to go.

Other wise you force yourself into picking a guy in the 1st in 2021 or paying Trubisky his 5th year option.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Tua
Herbert
Fromm
Eason
Burrow

Hard to see him busting past those guys.

Perfect world Fromm falls, he is the ideal QB for this system.
Love from Utah State has been getting a ton of buzz as well. The Bears may be in a really good spot to draft a qb in rd 2 if we are ready to move on. At least one or two of these talented passers should fall.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Love from Utah State has been getting a ton of buzz as well. The Bears may be in a really good spot to draft a qb in rd 2 if we are ready to move on. At least one or two of these talented passers should fall.

Well a win next week will help with getting our first 2nd round pick as close to the top of the 2nd as possible by beating the Raiders who are coming off a big win against a good team in Indy on Sunday.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I am not on board with paying Cohen like Freeman. Freeman is a certified #1 back. Cohen is a scat back who doesn't even get 10 total touches a game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not on board with paying Cohen like Freeman. Freeman is a certified #1 back. Cohen is a scat back who doesn't even get 10 total touches a game.

The 8 million figure is no longer a #1 RB salary. It is closer to Jerrick McKinnon then it is to a real RB.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
LB Danny Trevathan 3 years 25 million/21 guaranteed/6 signing bonus

He is one of the heartbeat guys on defense and with Roquan's personal issues the Bears should ensure that there leader and play caller is around. These are the type of moves you can make when you are not paying a QB 30 million a season.

Year 2: 1 Salary/1 GSI/2 SB/3 RB [8]
Year 3: 2 Salary/3 GSI/2 SB/ 3 RB [10]
I like this quite a bit. Trevathan has proven himself to be a vital lynchpin to this defense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like this quite a bit. Trevathan has proven himself to be a vital lynchpin to this defense.

I think with older guys the guarantee is more important than the total number. So the Bears could get a yearly average deal, by guaranteeing a bigger portion.

I have not seen any drop off in his game either so I am comfortable with him getting more guaranteed money for at least another 2 years.