Quaterback Success: Just a Matter of Faith??? (Jesus Built My QB Edition)

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Desperate for any sort of NFL news, your humble narrator, came across this rare uplifting NFL STORY about none other than Mitch's Draft Class Companion Deshaun Watson. Making use of his only time off before the most grueling work schedule in Pro Sports...Watson took a trip to the Holy Land to be baptized in the Jordan River as a reaffirmation of his faith. I am kind of in awe of the amount of faith involved in undertaking such a journey. So it popped an interesting question in my head.....

Does coming from a strong religious background install a higher capacity in having faith in all aspects of a person's life? Or for this instance, does having stronger faith make you a better quarterback?

Just look at how the position is defined. Your playbook is your Bible and Your coach is your Rabbi. If you cannot take that Bible as the Absolute Word how you should live your Pro QB Life...not even the wisest of Rabbis can get you into Pro QB Heaven.

Seems to be trending around the NFL as well. Reigning NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes simply exclaiming “God is amazing!” after accepting the award in February. Mahomes became the youngest QB to win the award since Dan Marino...another outspoken man of his faith. Speaking of MVPs...can anyone forget the incredible “bag boy to Super Bowl MVP” story of Kurt Warner? Another devout Christian, Warner sites “never losing faith” to get him there. Was it Warner's talent that got him there or was it his faith in his teammates and coaches?

Russell Wilson....rose from an overlooked mid round draft pick to become one of the most dominate quarterbacks in the NFC and yet another strongly religious man.

Which brings us right on back home to Chicago. I don't know what to say about Dear Sweet Mitchell's Sunday mornings. You could say he is holding those cards too close to the chest, but he really comes off more as the typical Midwest C & E Presbyterian* that will do his due diligence, but never really immerse himself in the experience.

(FOOTNOTE: “C & E” refers to “Christmas & Easter” as in...the only two times a year the person feels truly compelled into a place of worship)

But without that strong foundation of faith religion brings...could Trubisky's religious aloofness always keep him trailing his Draft Class Peers? If Trubisky struggles with spiritual faith does that equate to Trubisky struggling with a professional faith in Nagy? In his receivers? In himself? Watson and Mahomes are both very talented as well, but did their quick rise in the NFL correlate with having the same absolute faith in the people surrounding them as they have in the Lord Almighty?

Plus...come on...which is more inspiring even from a football standpoint???

http://instagr.am/p/BzFt7laBcAN/
or

http://instagr.am/p/Bw-hkD4jjkS/
So what say you Bear Nation?

Does Mitchell need Jesus to win Chicago a Super Bowl?!?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's beyond clear that Watson in his current state is far superior to Mitch. Not to say that will always be the case, but for now its definitely true.

While Mitch has been running around kissing titties, Watson has been studying Ecclesiastes. I guess only time will tell but I'd sure like Mitch to settle down and get right with Jesus to see his true professional blessing pour out.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's no secret what @Jamais Vu is getting at here and I have faith that it's true that faith is likely a dynamic that can increase success. I'm not expecting Trubisky to ever be the QB that can walk on water with a cross on his back but he sure does seem like he could use some extra blessings especially when it comes to having faith in his recievers, and boy, his deep ball game seems full of uncertainty. I think Trubisky has the humility but I think if he had God on his side it could take him to the next level.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's beyond clear that Watson in his current state is far superior to Mitch. Not to say that will always be the case, but for now its definitely true.

I think it is that Watson has so much faith and conviction...it carries over to faith and conviction on Game Day as well. He throws down the field just knowing Fuller will beat his man.

Trubisky overthrows Robinson because he is hesitant about making a mistake a turning the ball over.

If Mitch can just have stronger faith...can he throw with that kind of conviction?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I don't really care...whatever keeps you out of trouble, I guess.

I remember when slimy Dan Bernstein would criticize Tim Tebow as being "fake", going so far as to trash Tebow's charitable work, but I actually find it commendable even if I don't agree with using athletics as a religious platform. At least Tebow's heart was in the right place. I have no tolerance for people like Urban Meyer quoting scripture. GTFO.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just look at this:

https://metrovoicenews.com/devout-c...s-stuns-interviewer-when-discussing-children/

Phillip Rivers is another example of a guy that is not afraid to put his faith on the field, and practice what he preaches at home. He doesn't even use curse words, not even when that philistine Cutler would come at him. He has freaking EIGHT KIDS with ONE WOMAN and an amazing family life. Can you imagine Mitch having ANY kids and still being able to play football at any sort of competent level at this stage in the game???? LMAO

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There’s only one thing left to do.

Ding a ling Lang my dingalong linglong

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think it is that Watson has so much faith and conviction...it carries over to faith and conviction on Game Day as well. He throws down the field just knowing Fuller will beat his man.

Trubisky overthrows Robinson because he is hesitant about making a mistake a turning the ball over.

If Mitch can just have stronger faith...can he throw with that kind of conviction?

I think it’s just Watson is the better qb then(when drafted) and now. With the whole baptism thing I like seeing that from role models like him who live what their preaching.

Mitchel can try to prove me wrong this year on the talent part

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure about QB, but Cody Parker proved that being extremely religious doesn’t help you be a good kicker.

This thread isn’t about kickers though now is it Bort?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure about QB, but Cody Parker proved that being extremely religious doesn’t help you be a good kicker.

Well it takes two to tango in the place kicking game. I can tell you that Patrick Scales is most certainly NOT religious at all which likely played a part in the kicking fiasco last year.

It's part of the reason I want the Bears to take a look at John Shannon from Notre Dame... while not a beefsnapper at only 6'2" 230 lbs, he is highly religious. He may be available in the 2020 draft but he's still eligible to return to Notre Dame in 2021, however.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This seems to be a precursor of what their careers will be. Watson is literally God and will dominate the league for the next 15 years and Trubisky will be selling potato based products (potato chips now but McDonald’s French fries soon)for the rest of his life. Of course everyone in the world saw this coming but Pace and the dumbest of Bears fans.