Quaterback Success: Just a Matter of Faith??? (Jesus Built My QB Edition)

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think that Mitchell might need some of Russ's special Jesus water to help fix his brane.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure about QB, but Cody Parker proved that being extremely religious doesn’t help you be a good kicker.

I dunno.

Prior to the 2018 season...Parkey went to the Pro Bowl and secured a very wealthy contract in one of the best cities on the planet due to that faith. Sure it all fell apart in Chicago, but was it Parkey's faith that crumbled or the faith of the fanbase?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
OP is drunk or high or both

jonimus

Liked Posts:
I think you're on to something but missing the point. It's not surprising to me that many elite athletes, and particularly QBs, are seemingly devout Christians. Having faith in God does not equate to then having faith in people. They have faith in God because they understand the God they know and love is an all-loving, all-merciful, perfect God who has made the greatest sacrifice for them, not because we deserved it, but because He loved us that much. Putting your trust (faith) in that God and your life in that perspective diffuses the pressures of this world. The Bible does not promise good fortune on Earth to those that believe that Jesus is God - it does however promise an eternity in heaven and a personal relationship with Jesus. It's not surprising to see athletes with that kind of faith rise to the occasion in the athletic arena. For me, personally, I enjoy seeing athletes use their platform as athletes to display and acknowledge their faith in Jesus as God.

........ don't blame me ............ J Vu started this ...........

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, being successful in pro sports requires a dose of delusion for sure.

Players have to be able to block out whatever contrary evidence there is and really believe, on a cellular level, that they are good, the team is good, the coach is good, the GM has a good plan, etc...

They have to believe that success is in reach to play at the highest level, no matter how shit they or the team actually is. Its why some of the best players are say the most asinine shit when evaluating their team.

So in that sense, I could see how a religious background would be helpful.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's a well known fact that I am the biggest Trubisky supporter here (just slightly ahead of @bearmick), but every time I hear him talk it's like a freshman in high school giving a book report on a novel he just read the night before.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a well known fact that I am the biggest Trubisky supporter here (just slightly ahead of @bearmick), but every time I hear him talk it's like a freshman in high school giving a book report on a novel he just read the night before.

Yep Trubisky sounds like a frat boy. Watson doesn’t sound like a frat boy. Neither does Mahomes. I don’t know about you all but I like my presidents to sound presidential and I like my quarterbacks to sound quarterbackial.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Desperate for any sort of NFL news, your humble narrator, came across this rare uplifting NFL STORY about none other than Mitch's Draft Class Companion Deshaun Watson. Making use of his only time off before the most grueling work schedule in Pro Sports...Watson took a trip to the Holy Land to be baptized in the Jordan River as a reaffirmation of his faith. I am kind of in awe of the amount of faith involved in undertaking such a journey. So it popped an interesting question in my head.....

Does coming from a strong religious background install a higher capacity in having faith in all aspects of a person's life? Or for this instance, does having stronger faith make you a better quarterback?

Just look at how the position is defined. Your playbook is your Bible and Your coach is your Rabbi. If you cannot take that Bible as the Absolute Word how you should live your Pro QB Life...not even the wisest of Rabbis can get you into Pro QB Heaven.

Seems to be trending around the NFL as well. Reigning NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes simply exclaiming “God is amazing!” after accepting the award in February. Mahomes became the youngest QB to win the award since Dan Marino...another outspoken man of his faith. Speaking of MVPs...can anyone forget the incredible “bag boy to Super Bowl MVP” story of Kurt Warner? Another devout Christian, Warner sites “never losing faith” to get him there. Was it Warner's talent that got him there or was it his faith in his teammates and coaches?

Russell Wilson....rose from an overlooked mid round draft pick to become one of the most dominate quarterbacks in the NFC and yet another strongly religious man.

Which brings us right on back home to Chicago. I don't know what to say about Dear Sweet Mitchell's Sunday mornings. You could say he is holding those cards too close to the chest, but he really comes off more as the typical Midwest C & E Presbyterian* that will do his due diligence, but never really immerse himself in the experience.

(FOOTNOTE: “C & E” refers to “Christmas & Easter” as in...the only two times a year the person feels truly compelled into a place of worship)

But without that strong foundation of faith religion brings...could Trubisky's religious aloofness always keep him trailing his Draft Class Peers? If Trubisky struggles with spiritual faith does that equate to Trubisky struggling with a professional faith in Nagy? In his receivers? In himself? Watson and Mahomes are both very talented as well, but did their quick rise in the NFL correlate with having the same absolute faith in the people surrounding them as they have in the Lord Almighty?

Plus...come on...which is more inspiring even from a football standpoint???

http://instagr.am/p/BzFt7laBcAN/
or

http://instagr.am/p/Bw-hkD4jjkS/
So what say you Bear Nation?

Does Mitchell need Jesus to win Chicago a Super Bowl?!?
Mitch doesn't believe on ghosts
I dunno.

Prior to the 2018 season...Parkey went to the Pro Bowl and secured a very wealthy contract in one of the best cities on the planet due to that faith. Sure it all fell apart in Chicago, but was it Parkey's faith that crumbled or the faith of the fanbase?
God helps those that help themselves. Parkey lost the faith in his leg so Jesus did too.

I never thought Tebow would be the best indicator of atheism.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think people here confuse maturity with faith. I agree Watson and Mahomes are ahead of Mitch in the maturity curve.

Different people mature at different times or maybe not at all.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep Trubisky sounds like a frat boy. Watson doesn’t sound like a frat boy. Neither does Mahomes. I don’t know about you all but I like my presidents to sound presidential and I like my quarterbacks to sound quarterbackial.
Can't disagree. Why I'm happy he's a nerd about the play book and hope he stays in the same system for a long time. Fortunately, he's not an idiot and it's not rocket science. Sort of the opposite of Matt Patricia (idiot rocket scientist). How's that working for him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think people here confuse maturity with faith. I agree Watson and Mahomes are ahead of Mitch in the maturity curve.

Different people mature at different times or maybe not at all.
More nerdy/different than immature. He does mature things and doesn't do immature things. Doesn't go off on his mates yets controls the huddle and mates on the field. Socially active etc. Maybe a bit too humble when he got here but he's now got enough of large and in charge. In fact, that entire 1st round class of QBs appear to be really good guys.

None of these are concerns if he plays well on Sunday.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Watson does blow in the hotel room just like every other pro player, but keep believing in his instagram stories..

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Hey, anything that helps these young guys with clean living, dedication, and simply having a plan for themselves is going to produce for them.

I used to manage a halfway house, and after you cut thru all the BS, most guys end up there because they've never had a plan and they drifted thru life. At some point they find drugs and they graduate from jail to prison. So sad.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, anything that helps these young guys with clean living, dedication, and simply having a plan for themselves is going to produce for them.

I used to manage a halfway house, and after you cut thru all the BS, most guys end up there because they've never had a plan and they drifted thru life. At some point they find drugs and they graduate from jail to prison. So sad.

Whoa..... you think Mitch will end up in prison if he doesn't find jesus?

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players have to be able to block out whatever contrary evidence there is and really believe, on a cellular level, that they are good, the team is good, the coach is good, the GM has a good plan, etc...

Well would you look at that Bear Nation. Even a heathen like @botfly10 understands the OP perfectly while a bunch of you God fearing dorkchops just sit there saying....

"But Vu...I go to church every Sunday and still cannot throw a football to save a nun's life!"

I guess I will just take my profoundities into the hockey forum next time.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I've actually found its better to not read the book, but instead just read the summary on the jacket liner verbatim. I remember one time I found a book that had a lengthy summary printed on its back cover...so all I had to do was hold the book up to the class, and read from the back cover. Nothing to memorize. It was great.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've actually found its better to not read the book, but instead just read the summary on the jacket liner verbatim. I remember one time I found a book that had a lengthy summary printed on its back cover...so all I had to do was hold the book up to the class, and read from the back cover. Nothing to memorize. It was great.

I hope you didn't pay full price for the book.....you know resale shops have books for 3 or 5 dollars.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I hope you didn't pay full price for the book.....you know resale shops have books for 3 or 5 dollars.

Even better...I checked it out from my high school library about 90 minutes before I had to give my report. Its like Jeff Joniak showing up at 11:59am to broadcast Bears games.