Quitting smoking

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm looking into using Zyban, or getting a Vuse or Juul. Anyone have any recommendations?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vuse and Juul will work if you are just looking to switch from cigarettes to vaping.

I tried Chantax, but it made me nauseous and I still wanted to smoke.

It is going to sound crude, but the only way to quit smoking is to quit smoking. Breaking the addiction is much easier than breaking the habit and the electronic substitutes will do nothing to aid that.

Give yourself new routines. Like instead of having a smoke after dinner...go for a walk. Drink LOTS of fluids. Cranberry juice was my favorite thing in the world for that first month.

It is going to suck and you will feel terrible, but once you start feeling a genuine sense of freedom...it gets a little easier.

Good luck...you are going to need it!

Signed,

An ex-smoker.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You have to do it cold turkey

First six months is excruciating pain but after that it’s nothing

One tip though workout while you quit. I turned into a fat fuck when I quit and it was a pia getting back into shape

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I tried the patch last year and made it about 3 weeks before I folder. I also tried getting a vape (assuming I would do that for 6 months or so to taper off and wanted a decent one), and 120 bucks later I hated it. Stopped using it after a couple weeks and ended up trashing it.

New goal is like everyone said above. Just go cold turkey, maybe a patch the first couple days to ease out of it. Patches after the first week start making me feel nauseous all day and don't allow me to get over the nicotine withdrawal.

After getting sober almost 3 years ago I just haven't been able to quit yet. Been really hard to give up that vice on top of the others. After that's gone I don't have anything else to kill myself with o_O

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks guys.
@Jamais Vu - I've heard bad things about Chantix too. I'm hoping Zyban might be better.

Again good luck. I won't stop you from anything that helps, but I would skip the pills TBH. You are going to have to go with the withdrawal part at some point and they just seem to delay it.

Strong resolve to stop is the only thing you really need...everything else is a crutch you should lose ASAP.

And again...lots of fluids. You can kick nicotine inside of a week. The hard part is breaking the habit...so this would be a good time to make some changes to your everyday routine to compensate.

Now prepare for spending the better part of a year coughing up nastier stuff than you ever did as a smoker...every...single....day.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A friend of mine used Nicorette gum to quit and it worked, he still chews the gum a year or 2 later but doesn't smoke anymore.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Good luck @Tater. I'm lucky to have never picked up the smoking habit but have plenty of friends and family that do. Really wish my Dad would quit but I don't see it happening.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tried counseling, Chantax, patches, gum, mints....quit several times. I always came back. I tried Wellbutrin and, paired with using patches as directed, it worked. I still use nicotine mints (I detest gum) when I am “tempted” a/k/a drunk. Cold turkey by itself doesn’t work for many people.

Never quit quitting. Fall off the wagon, get back on. If you fail today don’t fail tomorrow. All if those sayings apply. I still miss it at times and I cheat on occasion and bum a smoke from a friend. But not very often anymore.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
2015 I quit when I caught a virus, they had a name for it I don't remember it. A few people had the same thing and were sick for a few days and then got better. I was smoking while I was sick and that apparently messed up my lungs really bad. I wound up spending a night in the hospital, but I never smoked again. Gained 30 lbs and lost it in a year, so now I'm an in shape non smoker.

So, yeah, just get real sick and pay the hospital a few thousand dollars, boom!

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2015 I quit when I caught a virus, they had a name for it I don't remember it. A few people had the same thing and were sick for a few days and then got better. I was smoking while I was sick and that apparently messed up my lungs really bad. I wound up spending a night in the hospital, but I never smoked again. Gained 30 lbs and lost it in a year, so now I'm an in shape non smoker.

So, yeah, just get real sick and pay the hospital a few thousand dollars, boom!

I'm well on my way there already.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good Luck Tater, i was a smoker for 42 years until i just had enough of it. One day i said im tired of this nasty habit and i quit cold turkey. If youre ready to quit because youre just sick of smoking than you will quit. BOLT

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Everyone i know quit cold turkey basically. Some had reasons such as a health scare, pregnancy, etc and others just said they were done.

Glad i never picked it up - which is practically a miracle considering my whole family smoked.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again good luck. I won't stop you from anything that helps, but I would skip the pills TBH. You are going to have to go with the withdrawal part at some point and they just seem to delay it.

Strong resolve to stop is the only thing you really need...everything else is a crutch you should lose ASAP.

And again...lots of fluids. You can kick nicotine inside of a week. The hard part is breaking the habit...so this would be a good time to make some changes to your everyday routine to compensate.

Now prepare for spending the better part of a year coughing up nastier stuff than you ever did as a smoker...every...single....day.

Why is that? Tar in ur lungs?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm looking into using Zyban, or getting a Vuse or Juul. Anyone have any recommendations?

This gonna sound simplistic. Quitting starts in the mind. Ya' gotta mentally say no more cigs. It's really like ending a bad relationship.

Also try doing something aerobic i.e. running, jogging do something where u have to use large amounts of lung capacity. That should help cause u to stop. I've been there....I know what ur going through. It's a tuff habit to beat.