Rate the Free Agent Moves so far and add a couple more you'd like to see

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Give a rating on McPhee, Rolle, and Royal, then add another name or two you'd still like to see in navy & orange next year....

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Overall it is an A. They addressed needs and used quality players on them. The contracts are all team friendly.

I would like to see them sign Akeem Ayers who is a 25 year old up and coming LB that played for New England.

Parker would be good too.

Don't need Knighton for his asking price or Wisnewski. They are going to draft the Oregon center in the 3rd round.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I like McPhee and Royal a lot. Both are very solid in my book. I'm a little more tentative on Rolle just because he's older and supposedly coming off a down year. Historically a great player though so hopefully he can dig out two more years for us. Was really hoping for Searcy though.

So:

McPhee B+
Royal B
Rolle C+

Hopefully we sign Parker today and then Mason. After that go get some Beef Block on both sides of the line. Figure we'll have to get a CB in the draft at this point.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
McPhee - B, above-average signing that should improve the defense. Versatile pass rusher who produced in a limited role, questions about whether or not he can hold up over the course of a full season's worth of snaps. Will extra attention from the OL make him less effective? Worth the risk given the contract details and desperation of our defensive roster, but not the type of move you want to have to be making.

Rolle - C, very average signing. Allows us to field 11 warm bodies on defense. Brings more leadership than playmaking at this stage in his career, speed deficiencies will need to be masked by scheme. Low guaranteed money is a saving grace, as this is a pure stopgap signing.

Royal - C-, average guy in the slot, getting up there in age, injuries a large concern. Competent WR who shores up a need and can win his share of one-on-one battles in the slot. Haven't seen contract details, really hope we didn't overpay.

Would like to see: Mason Foster. Called the plays for Tampa's defense, tough and physical tackler, still young. Could be a foundational fixture in the middle of our defense, won't ever set the world on fire but would steady the front 7.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McPhee - B+, versatility, mean, like to see more from him before he gets an A
Rolle - B, improves a very weak safety position
Royal - B+, solid slot guy, possession #3 wr

So overall B to B+ for Bears, above average.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
B (McPhee)
C+ (Royal)
C (Rolle)

However I like the approach the Bears are taking. They realize they need a LOT of players this offseason not only because last year's team lacked talent but because of the new schemes on Offense and Defense. So they need to make value signings in order to keep enough money to continue to sign additional players.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I like the overall direction. I am OK with the signing of Royal and Rolle, but know that they aren't world beaters at this point.

I am not going to go over the top on all the guys they sign, but I feel they, too, know they aren't getting All pros, but they are getting improvement.

Royal can be a return man, and as long as they don't envision him as the only WR upgrade they need, it's a good value signing. I'll say B-.

Rolle? Supposedly brings leadership, and should be better than Conte and Mundy. But his best days are behind him. I like this more for the fact that they are at least addressing the safety position. I will grade this a C. I will like this better if they add one more safety, if that doesn't sound contradictory.

McPhee? From everything I see from objective analysts, this is a very good player for our system. We will have to see how it pans out with him becoming a full time player, but most everyone rates him high and likes this signing. I saw two lists of the Top FA's, and he was #8 on one and #10 on the other. I will grade this a B, with hopes that it is a solid A once he hits the field.

What would I like to see additionally? All depending on whether the cost isn't too high, of course, but any of the following, in no particular order: Wisniewski (though I see him described by Oakland fans as "a little above average); Knighton (but I believe his price tag will be too high for him to be good value); Mason Foster, I guess. Not going to get terribly excited over this, but sounds like it would be an improvement; Parker - I hear good and bad about him, but a fast safety and more depth would help. There are no real great options in FA or the draft, so it will be quantity over quality. But speed is OK by me. (I see Parker and Rolle both rate poorly against the run, however)

I don't know what else is available that is a reasonable expectation for us. Tampa released an OT they signed just a year ago - Collins. Poor player? Or poor eval from Lovie? If "average" and his price comes down, if at least better than Mills would it help? Or just mediocrity that doesn't really get us anywhere?

I want to see O line addressed with quality players so we have a real tough unit. If we are to run the ball - and even if not - we need two. This can make a huge difference to the D as well. So between FA and the draft, I want to add 2 OL, even with defensive needs.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A+(McPhee)
A+(Royal)
A+(Rolle)

kool-aid-man-busts-a-wall.gif

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone is using letters......

McPhee 9 out of 10
Rolle 6 out of 10
Royal 7 out of 10

McPhee has a lot of upside and could be a bargain.....Rolle and Royal are older hole fillers......necessary.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
McPhee- B+
Rolle- A
Royal- C

Anybody that can get after the passer is a solid edition to the defense.
Anybody that makes Chris Conte go away is exceptional
Royal is a decent addition, gives us a credible slot guy.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McPhee: (A-) High upside signing, betting on him earning the starter money he was given. I'd rather pay a young guy like that then pay and older guy on past production. Think his versatlility is going to be paramount in getting Bears through this transition to 3-4. Loved his presser yesterday, seems like good character guy.

Royal: (B+) Needed a slot WR badley, lead league in 3rd down receptions last year, need a guy who can work middle we can count on to move sticks. Not super young but not super old either. Excellent bridge WR to allow Pace time to draft and develope young WR's.

Rolle: (B) With not much on Safety market or in draft, about best you could do. Brings strong veteran presence to locker room and to field. Will be signal caller for the backend unit Pace can add young safeties in the draft over the next 1-2 years. Guy is obviously older but is ceratinly a upgrade at this position. This was a no brainer and contract is team friendly.

LIKE TO SEE:

Ron Parker: Safety - Need to keep adding at this position with lack of talent in draft. Parker has been a journeyman of sorts so far in his career but had breakout season last year and again brings great versatility to secondary. Another upgrade over the current guys on roster.

Mason Foser: ILB - Need more experience at this position, assuming Bostic and Jones are our ILB as of right now, Foster would definitely be in the mix to start Day 1.

Chris Culliver: CB - Need more bodies at CB, Culliver could start outside and push Jennings inside as was planned last year with additonal of Fuller. With CB market not heating up could come at a reasonable price.

Kenrick Ellis: NT - Need a 3-4 Nose..... be a nice fit and price. Could also add rookie to mix.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
McPhee: (A-) High upside signing, betting on him earning the starter money he was given. I'd rather pay a young guy like that then pay and older guy on past production. Think his versatlility is going to be paramount in getting Bears through this transition to 3-4. Loved his presser yesterday, seems like good character guy.

Royal: (B+) Needed a slot WR badley, lead league in 3rd down receptions last year, need a guy who can work middle we can count on to move sticks. Not super young but not super old either. Excellent bridge WR to allow Pace time to draft and develope young WR's.

Rolle: (B) With not much on Safety market or in draft, about best you could do. Brings strong veteran presence to locker room and to field. Will be signal caller for the backend unit Pace can add young safeties in the draft over the next 1-2 years. Guy is obviously older but is ceratinly a upgrade at this position. This was a no brainer and contract is team friendly.

LIKE TO SEE:

Ron Parker: Safety - Need to keep adding at this position with lack of talent in draft. Parker has been a journeyman of sorts so far in his career but had breakout season last year and again brings great versatility to secondary. Another upgrade over the current guys on roster.

Mason Foser: ILB - Need more experience at this position, assuming Bostic and Jones are our ILB as of right now, Foster would definitely be in the mix to start Day 1.

Chris Culliver: CB - Need more bodies at CB, Culliver could start outside and push Jennings inside as was planned last year with additonal of Fuller. With CB market not heating up could come at a reasonable price.

Kenrick Ellis: NT - Need a 3-4 Nose..... be a nice fit and price. Could also add rookie to mix.

I would write a review, but this is exactly how I feel. For the overall league, I think the Sam Bradford signing will go down as the best move. People forget how accurate he was in the OK offense, which has a very similar route tree and feel as Chipball.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
McPhee - A+ - Giving a young player on the rise who is hungry to start a chance to do so. He has the potential to dominate under Fangio.

Rolle - C - Will provide leadership more than anything else and he isn't Chris Conte.

Royal - C - solid slot wr who adds a different element. Grade would be higher if Marshall was still in the fold as it would be easier for him to exploit match ups.

What I would like to see

Ron Parker -FS - big fast can run with te's or slots.

Jarvis Jenkins - DE - value 5 tech and that is a position we lack dearly.

Mason Foster - solid ILB is needed at this point.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pernell McPhee A+

Versatile, upside, and a CULTURE changer for the Bears defense, absolutley LOVE the signing.

Eddie Royal B+

The Bears were never going to replace Marshall's on field production, but they need to get more versatile. They needed speed and someone who could operate in the slot and they get a guy who is still on 28 and has produced a lot in the NFL. Huge upgrade over Marshall off the field.

Antrel Rolle B

Very solid signing that takes a bleeding head wound and makes it a little less server. The real value comes from his leadership and the presence he will be in the locker room.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 2 guys I really want.

S Ron Parker

LB Mason Foster

Then we can draft the DL.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Everyone is using letters......

McPhee 9 out of 10
Rolle 6 out of 10
Royal 7 out of 10

McPhee has a lot of upside and could be a bargain.....Rolle and Royal are older hole fillers......necessary.

Everyone is using letters or numbers so:

McPhee - I give him a Young - grade. Like Young, he had a lot of pressures and showed a lot of potential, but was somewhat lost behind other players. The reason he gets a Young - grade is that he was given starter's money on potential while Young came much cheaper. If he can produce like Young did last year, he will have played up to his contract. If not, he will have played at a Watt level (unlikely) or will have played average and will have been overpaid.

Rolle - I give him an Adrian Wilson -grade - at this point, Rolle, like Wilson last year, is here more because of his name than his on-field performance. What makes this an Adrian Wilson - grade is that Wilson didn't cost the Bears anything when he was cut. Rolle will probably make the team because of the lack of safeties on the team, in free agency, and in the draft. He is just a body like most of the safeties currently not on an NFL team, including draftees.

Royal - I give him a Santonio Holmes + grade - Though not the name Holmes was, he is also an older free agent Bears' signing. I give him a Holmes + rating because I believe there is more tread left on the Royal tires than there was for Holmes (Holmes last good year was 2009).

Edit, Royal is not older, just been around for a while now. My bad.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Royal has loads more left in the tank that Holmes did, IMO. He was a great reliable piece for SD the last couple years; Holmes was clearly on his last legs.

If you said we're getting with Royal what you hoped to get from Holmes last year, I'd buy that.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Royal has loads more left in the tank that Holmes did, IMO. He was a great reliable piece for SD the last couple years; Holmes was clearly on his last legs.

If you said we're getting with Royal what you hoped to get from Holmes last year, I'd buy that.

I was hoping to get more, seeing that he produced better than Holmes did for the previous 4 years and that with the ball being shared evenly by 4 receivers in SD. I think they had 4 receivers close to 750 yards.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
McPhee - B+
Rolle - B
Royal - B

Mason Foster
Brian Orakpo
Vince Wilfork
Stefen Wisniewski
Knowshon Moreno

Not sure how much it would cost but I would like any of those players. Moreno would probably come cheap.