Rate the last movie you watched

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And I also saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I also didn't really like. I feel like, I either didn't get it, or I got it but couldn't believe there wasn't more to it, if that makes any sense.

Basically, it was nothing but a re-imagination of the Manson Murders, except with a happy ending instead of a tragic one. Is that really it? I'm honestly asking.
Bingo.

Good acting. Decent story. But at the end of the day, what was the point?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If I'm being kind, I'm saying it's okay at best. If I'm being a little more honest, I'm saying it's crap (not shit, but crap :)).

There were just so many elements that were dumb for me. Don't want to get into spoilers for people who haven't seen it, but I'll just say this:

The main problem with this new trilogy was the introduction of way too many characters. Finn was pretty much a useless character in 8 and 9 -- he almost could have died at the end of Force Awakens (I would have liked that). Knights of Ren: awesome idea, but again, useless -- they got like 5 minutes total of screen time in all 3 movies, and their ending felt way too rushed -- uncomfortably fit in at the last minute, like a lot of things with ROS. The Kerri Russel character -- another all but useless character who gets two seconds of screen time. I know it's cool for Marvel movies to introduce like 50 fucking characters in one movie, but it doesn't work for Star Wars -- Star Wars is about the characters, and when you have too many, it takes away from all of them.

Someone above mentioned this, but they either should have had one director for all 3 movies, or 3 separate directors for each. Bringing back Abrams for ROS was utterly stupid, in that he tried to reintroduce things that Johnson had eliminated. A fresh director wouldn't have tried to make his initial vision fit even after Johnson had all but destroyed it.

Anyways, ROS was nothing but a treasure hunt. I felt like I was watching Goonies meets Harry Potter -- with the Valdemort-like "my spirit will enter you" garbage between one female protagonist (trying not to spoil) and the main antagonist. I also felt like I was watching a Marvel movie with all the characters that really don't have an ending. The whole Poe, Finn, Rae love triangle thing (or whatever the hell it was) -- just dumb, and never clarified.

Abrams was the worst decision for these movies. Force Awakens was nothing but a carbon copy of A New Hope; and Abrams took absolutely zero risks with Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker. At least Johnson didn't play it safe with Last Jedi -- no one in the world saw Snoke dying; killed Luke; killed the pointless Phasma; Killed Akbar and pretty much all the rebels (how the hell did they get built back up so quickly between Last Jedi and ROS, by the way?). Johnson was actually trying to correct all the mistakes Abrams did, then Abrams gets the helm back, and doubles-down on said mistakes.

Honestly, I'm just glad this new trilogy is over already and I hope that Abrams never touches another Star Wars movie/show again. I hope that the upcoming new trilogy will contain some actual originality, because this one contained zero.

Agreed

To many characters. To much going back & forth in time. To long. True it wasn't original. If I'm Finn, I wouldn't have been running after Rae. It's obvious she wasn't interested. :rolleyes: Also people dying & reemerging, then dying again. ?
Overall, there's just so much to 'unpack' with this movie.....it takes away from the cinematic experience.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Bingo.

Good acting. Decent story. But at the end of the day, what was the point?

Alright, thank you; it's nice to know I'm not alone. I agree the acting was great and Pitt's character especially was well-done and hilarious at times; and Decaprio is always masterful. Robbie, Fanning, the guy who played Tex, the child who played the little girl in the western -- all great too.

I actually watched it again to see if I missed anything, and the only thing I thought of the second time around, was that: it's weird how Sharon Tate is talking to Rick Dalton on the intercom at the end. Dalton never presses the intercom while he's talking to Tate. Obviously, it's a fictitious ending, but it's almost as if it was Tarantino's plan to make it a dream sequence, within a dream sequence. Because there is an earlier scene when Rumer Willis' character goes to the house, and has to press the intercom to talk to Sharon.

So, even in this fictious movie/ending, I wonder if Tarantino wanted the audience to think the scene actually didn't occur in this story; or, that there was more to this scene than meets the eye.

Also, how Jay Sebring never walks past the gate was interesting when I watched it the second time. It was like Tarantino was using those gates as the gates of heaven. And Tates' voice was coming "from the grave" so to speak (i.e. that's why Rick never had to touch the intercom to talk to her). It was like she was inviting Rick into heaven, which made me think that Rick somehow died in a metaphorical sense.

Anyways, I didn't like the movie overall, but that end scene with Jay Sebring and Sharon talking to Rick was by far my favorite scene. Sent shivers down my spine.

Edit: one last thing -- I was wondering why Tate was wearing a #17 jersey at the end. I'm not sure if this is the reason why Tarantino did that or not, but after some research, I found that Tate was stabbed a total of 16 times. Perhaps the extra one was for her baby.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
Agreed

To many characters. To much going back & forth in time. To long. True it wasn't original. If I'm Finn, I wouldn't have been running after Rae. It's obvious she wasn't interested. :rolleyes: Also people dying & reemerging, then dying again. ?
Overall, there's just so much to 'unpack' with this movie.....it takes away from the cinematic experience.

Definitely. It's funny: out of the newer Star Wars movies, I'd say my favorite is probably Rogue One. That's really the only one I actually enjoyed.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Definitely. It's funny: out of the newer Star Wars movies, I'd say my favorite is probably Rogue One. That's really the only one I actually enjoyed.
Yeah Rogue One was better crafted.

That Kylo Ren character is Vader's grandson.....but he just doesn't seem as ominous and decisive. I miss the voice of James Earl Jones. This is classic

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
And I also saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I also didn't really like. I feel like, I either didn't get it, or I got it but couldn't believe there wasn't more to it, if that makes any sense.

Basically, it was nothing but a re-imagination of the Manson Murders, except with a happy ending instead of a tragic one. Is that really it? I'm honestly asking.
Basically. It also plays to the nostalgia of the time, which seems to big these days thanks to shows like Stranger Things and what not? People like to reminisce to what it was like "back in their day".

As to what the point is, I don't get what you're asking really. All movies are just telling a story. So many movies are in fact based on true stories and are just a re-telling of them. It's entertainment...

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I’m not an Adam Sandler fan at all but I have to say Uncut Gems was great. IMO a top 10 movie of 2019. Sandler was fantastic( something I never thought I’d say). I loved the movie.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I’m not an Adam Sandler fan at all but I have to say Uncut Gems was great. IMO a top 10 movie of 2019. Sandler was fantastic( something I never thought I’d say). I loved the movie.
Safdie brothers make pretty good stuff

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
you all should go for their midnight showings of the Room

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Saw uncut gems. Not bad. Not great acting though.

Julia Fox is a babe.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Basically. It also plays to the nostalgia of the time, which seems to big these days thanks to shows like Stranger Things and what not? People like to reminisce to what it was like "back in their day".

As to what the point is, I don't get what you're asking really. All movies are just telling a story. So many movies are in fact based on true stories and are just a re-telling of them. It's entertainment...

Alright, although I'd say that not all movies serve that purpose (strictly to entertain). That goes for every medium actually: film, music, television, books. Some have no point of course, but others are intended to provoke thought, build on a strong theme, etc. I'd say there is a difference between a typical Adam Sandler movie and a movie like Taxi Driver, for example. It's about substance: some (movies, shows, etc.) contain it and others are just junk food.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Alright, although I'd say that not all movies serve that purpose (strictly to entertain). That goes for every medium actually: film, music, television. Some have no point of course, but others are intended to provoke thought, build on a strong theme, etc. I'd say there is a difference between a typical Adam Sandler movie and a movie like Taxi Driver, for example. It's about substance: some (movies, shows, etc.) contain it and others are just junk food.
Well, I think some movies pull at different strings than others. Some spark the imagination (Sci-Fi), some pull at the heart strings (love stories), so make you laugh your ass off (comedies), some make you think, and a small amount of movies actually have a real message. I think the point of the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is that plays on history and nostalgia.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My ten most anticipated for 2020(no order):

A Quiet Place Part II
Mulan
Onward
Tenet
Eternals