Rating the Coaching Hires

jive

Liked Posts:
Here's my thoughts on the 4 coaching hires:

Clancy Barone was a good pickup. Solid track record with TEs, including 4 pro bowlers on 4 different teams. He's just what we need to develop players at a position we are in dire need of improvement. I think this was the best hire. We still have Burton, and Holtz and Horsted show some promise. We will probably draft a TE as well. This may be the guy that will finally get some production out of the position. A good TE coach is absolutely necessary for this reload for the next season, so there's a lot riding on this guy.

Juan Castillo was a good pickup too. Solid track record as an OL coach, including many seasons where his team rushed for 1900 or more yards. Also coached the lines for some top scoring offenses as well. He also helped produce a few All-Pros at T and G. I think he'll mesh well with Nagy. His scheme and approach will be compatible with what Nagy wants to do. Hiestand and his line seemed to be on a different page than the rest of the offense. I think this hire will go a long way towards fixing that. We ran for over 1900 yards in 2018 with the same line, and basically the same RBs. A guy who can coach and develop schemes can help us return or exceed our 2018 numbers. Castillo has done that many times.

John DeFillipo was a decent QB coach for PHI, but a failed OC everywhere else. His offenses were as bad as ours. He got production out of 2 scrubs in Foles and Minshew, so he could be our guy that gets some production out of our scrub. If that happens, then it's obviously a good hire. But, I wouldn't let him do much more than coach Trubisky. I definitely wouldn't let him design or call plays, based on his poor record as an OC. I think calling him a QB whisperer is presumptuous, but if he can right Trubisky, then he may earn that title.

Bill Lazor was a decent QB coach, but mediocre OC. I wouldn't have minded him as QB coach. But, as OC? There were other guys out there other than Shurmur, like Mike Groh or Marty Morniwheg who have proven experience as an OC and are familiar with the system. The thing that makes me suspicious about Lazor is that he's a Chip Kelly guy, which makes me wonder if Nagy hasn't given up on the Oregon style offense that made him hire Helfrich. I thought Nagy would ditch that influence and go full on Reid style WCO, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this hire. It's not like he had much success with the spread in MIA or CIN, and that's not what we're running here. So, this hire is a head scratcher for me.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
One thing about Defillipo, is he was Wentz's QB coach in 17 when he was on his way to being league MVP. That's a positive.

And I can't get excited or discouraged with Lazor, because of the simple fact that I have no idea what the OC does in Nagy's system.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
My thoughts on the coaching hires:

will be reflected in the performance and results of the 2020 Bears. And nothing else. Unlike some, I give no credit for hiring being linked to the rationale of groupthink within NFL culture.

(OP: That was not directed at you in any way).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's my thoughts on the 4 coaching hires:

Clancy Barone was a good pickup. Solid track record with TEs, including 4 pro bowlers on 4 different teams. He's just what we need to develop players at a position we are in dire need of improvement. I think this was the best hire. We still have Burton, and Holtz and Horsted show some promise. We will probably draft a TE as well. This may be the guy that will finally get some production out of the position. A good TE coach is absolutely necessary for this reload for the next season, so there's a lot riding on this guy.

Juan Castillo was a good pickup too. Solid track record as an OL coach, including many seasons where his team rushed for 1900 or more yards. Also coached the lines for some top scoring offenses as well. He also helped produce a few All-Pros at T and G. I think he'll mesh well with Nagy. His scheme and approach will be compatible with what Nagy wants to do. Hiestand and his line seemed to be on a different page than the rest of the offense. I think this hire will go a long way towards fixing that. We ran for over 1900 yards in 2018 with the same line, and basically the same RBs. A guy who can coach and develop schemes can help us return or exceed our 2018 numbers. Castillo has done that many times.

John DeFillipo was a decent QB coach for PHI, but a failed OC everywhere else. His offenses were as bad as ours. He got production out of 2 scrubs in Foles and Minshew, so he could be our guy that gets some production out of our scrub. If that happens, then it's obviously a good hire. But, I wouldn't let him do much more than coach Trubisky. I definitely wouldn't let him design or call plays, based on his poor record as an OC. I think calling him a QB whisperer is presumptuous, but if he can right Trubisky, then he may earn that title.

Bill Lazor was a decent QB coach, but mediocre OC. I wouldn't have minded him as QB coach. But, as OC? There were other guys out there other than Shurmur, like Mike Groh or Marty Morniwheg who have proven experience as an OC and are familiar with the system. The thing that makes me suspicious about Lazor is that he's a Chip Kelly guy, which makes me wonder if Nagy hasn't given up on the Oregon style offense that made him hire Helfrich. I thought Nagy would ditch that influence and go full on Reid style WCO, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this hire. It's not like he had much success with the spread in MIA or CIN, and that's not what we're running here. So, this hire is a head scratcher for me.
I think Ragone got promoted to passing game coach because his ideas were probably the ones that actually worked. He also called a great game for Bray in the preseason. DeFillipo is that much further away from actual game planning and play calls so should be fine. They probably got a guarantee from Ragone to hang around with a promotion. I think he was a genuine candidate for the OC job but got passed over only because they wanted someone more experienced in the run game.

I have no idea about Lazor but I do know that he was in a very bad situations in his previous stints at OC. His stay with the Dolphins took that team from the 28th ranked O to 14th with rushing as a big part of that. He gets canned and they go back to the high 20s. Bengals O basically didn't change much before or after him.

Not enough info for a guy whose O's I haven't paid any attention to but I doubt we could get the others you mentioned without offering playcalling duties as part of the package. Could be Lazor wasn't coming back to the NFL without an OC title unless he had to and he was still getting paid by the Bengals in 2019. This was that opportunity. Certainly not our top choice but to be honest, it's just nice to have a qualified guy in the position unlike the last couple years.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Experience: A All are experienced NFL coaches.

Past Results: C None of these guys are the big name this year for good reasons. They've all had SOME success but plenty of fails as well

Think Nagy did a solid job hiring these coaches. Probably the best that could be hoped for with him being on the hot seat this year. Now we need to see if Pace can improve the talent on O. I'm much more pessimistic about that.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Lazor was a good hire. I think he's a better QB coach but since Nagy is really the OC, hiring Lazor as OC is more about just bringing in someone with good record helping QB's. Plus he has some play calling ability.

He learned under Joe Gibbs and Holmgren. Then was QB coach for Chip Kelly's RPO where Foles had that awesome 260ypg, 27TD, 2INT, 119 rating season. Then he was QB coach under Joe Philbin (WCO) for both of Tannehills 4000 yard seasons with good TD/INT ratio. Then with Bengals under Ken Zampese. Andy Dalton was decent in those years. The last year with Dalton, its worth noting that Daltons stats in 11 games were actually good 240 ypg, 21TD, 11INT and that offense scored 25 points per game. When he went down they fell apart.

Often times we see QB coaches and OC's play with great QB's like Gase in Denver with Manning and then they suck. You realize they were only good because of the hall of fame QB. Lazor is a guy that got a lot out of average QB's. Also might help if they try to lure Tannehill or Dalton.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
its all just a collaborative effort to help trubisky...deflip and lazor both worked wonders with qb's...ragone seems to have nagy's trust in pass plays...Nagy will still be the playcaller at the end of the day...

the point is, nagy went all in on unlocking trubisky's talent by looking at the hires...we've seen glimpses of trubisky playing very well, its time for him to show consistency if he ever wants to make it in the nfl.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castillo - A+

I am not saying the Bears OL is good, but I also do not believe they are as bad as they were last season. Their coach was trash and they reflected it well. Bears still have work to do to improve the unit, but this hire already upgraded the OL without anyone stepping foot on football field. The Bears will be able to run the ball again in 2020...if Nagy remembers to call them.

Lazor - B

He's been in the league for two decades now and, as already pointed out, got above average results from some average QBs. Now he gets a crack at Mayo Mitch!

DeFillipo/Ragone - C

I just read about this now, so maybe I am being reactionary. Seemed a little unnecessary, but Flip did well with Wentz and some 7th round nobody. Stiil that is basically three QB coaches. What could go wrong???

Overall - B+

I know the Shurmur rumblings had any other hire look like a disappointment, but Matt Nagy finally has an experienced staff with heavy focus on OL/TE/QB. Now he just has to have the humility to listen to them and this offense gets dragged out of the gutter.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is nothing really to rate right now because next season hasn't started yet. So this would be like rating someone based on how well they studied for the exam. Does that matter if when the exam (ie season) comes they fail miserably.

So this is basically an incomplete for now.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't think the coaching hires suck. Non of this shit matters unless it translates to wins.
Really hard for it not to though. Even with the complete meltdown this season, we still finished 8-8.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the coaching hires suck. Non of this shit matters unless it translates to wins.

Yeah there is still that pesky part about getting players that play well, but baby steps!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really hard for it not to though. Even with the complete meltdown this season, we still finished 8-8.

It was a wasted season to be sure. All we can hope for is improvement on the online and the coaching translates to better production offensively.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah there is still that pesky part about getting players that play well, but baby steps!

There is no doubt there needs to be better all around oline play, better QB production and more pressure on the opposing QB that results in defensive turnovers.

and for god sake run the fucking ball

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
One thing about Defillipo, is he was Wentz's QB coach in 17 when he was on his way to being league MVP. That's a positive.

And I can't get excited or discouraged with Lazor, because of the simple fact that I have no idea what the OC does in Nagy's system.

That was what was interesting in Ragone being called passing game coordinator. Lazor does not like to run the ball either, so its not like he can focus on the running game.

Just seems like a group of guys who will whisper sweet nothings in Nagy's ears, he would not listen to the greatest offensive mind if he was given the OC job.

This is just setting up to be a clean house over turned complete staff next year, other than maybe Pagano gets the HC job.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was what was interesting in Ragone being called passing game coordinator. Lazor does not like to run the ball either, so its not like he can focus on the running game.

Just seems like a group of guys who will whisper sweet nothings in Nagy's ears, he would not listen to the greatest offensive mind if he was given the OC job.

This is just setting up to be a clean house over turned complete staff next year, other than maybe Pagano gets the HC job.

a lot of mental gymnastics there.....the last group of guys had less experience than this group. How do you draw the conclusion of them being yes men even more than the last group?

The OL coach, OC and the QB coach came from orgs that ran the ball much more effectively than the Bears when they were there.

Simply running more isn't the answer, it needs to be better. The Bears shitcanned the staff responsible for the running game and brought in people for that purpose, including vets in the passing game. Why would they do that just to run the ball less and shittier?

What screams yes men?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears could have ran as effectively as the Jags this year or the Bengals last year or the Bills when the oline coach was there the Bears would have been at least 10-6 or 11-5 and in the playoffs.

greg23

Liked Posts:
In theory these guys should all help teaching with their respective players/positions

However

If the qb still cant read defenses and overthrown wr deep

The slugs on the oline run into each other more than block the opponent

The rb stil is slow or short and runs sideways

The wr still can get separation

The te are all worthless

And

The BHVWGHC is still calling plays and making bonehead end of game decisions

Then the hires are all irrelevant

jive

Liked Posts:
If the Bears could have ran as effectively as the Jags this year or the Bengals last year or the Bills when the oline coach was there the Bears would have been at least 10-6 or 11-5 and in the playoffs.
In 2018, we were 6th in rushing offense and gained over 1900 yards. That's a big reason why we were 12-4. Nagy has shown that he could run the ball effectively at one time. I wonder what happened in 2019 that caused it to regress so much.