Really popular things that you don't like

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've become very anti-gift for myself.

I don't need gifts, and when people ask me to give them a list it creates a task I have to complete.

I am happy to give gifts... buy family stuff they otherwise wouldn't have the disposable income for, but I really don't have a list of things I want that I can't afford to buy for myself.

Totes agree. I see my wife's extended family twice a year (Thanksgiving/Xmas) and they always ask me what I want. It's just awkward, I don't like people buying me shit as it is because then I feel like I owe them something.

I stopped doing gifts with my wife 3 years ago and now we take a trip every year instead. So much better.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Given the news lately, I am going to throw out gender reveal parties.

The grandma who died from a pipe bomb lives 30 min from me lol. Whatever happened to going to the doctor, the doctor telling you what you're having, and then leaving his/her office and just telling people through conversation?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The grandma who died from a pipe bomb lives 30 min from me lol. Whatever happened to going to the doctor, the doctor telling you what you're having, and then leaving his/her office and just telling people through conversation?
People like to blow money.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yea I don't get the point of gender reveal parties either. Well, to be fair, I don't get the point of some of these parties that Americans have. Maybe it's because I was born abroad, but what's the point of a baby shower or wedding shower? I feel like once you have a baby, people will bring you gifts if they want. Why make a party just for people to bring you gifts?

Wedding registry is another one. You will get what I want to get you. If you realize you don't need it, tough shit. Sell it on Ebay. I don't care.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
yea I don't get the point of gender reveal parties either. Well, to be fair, I don't get the point of some of these parties that Americans have. Maybe it's because I was born abroad, but what's the point of a baby shower or wedding shower? I feel like once you have a baby, people will bring you gifts if they want. Why make a party just for people to bring you gifts?

Wedding registry is another one. You will get what I want to get you. If you realize you don't need it, tough shit. Sell it on Ebay. I don't care.
My wedding gift is always cash. Buy what you need with it. Idk what you want and I'm not looking at your registry and searching for throw pillows at bed, bath and beyond lol.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My wedding gift is always cash. Buy what you need with it. Idk what you want and I'm not looking at your registry and searching for throw pillows at bed, bath and beyond lol.

You'll search for throw pillows and like it!! :)

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Cash is king, and if you know how to play the gift card game, then that's good too, so as long as its a place you would shop at or want to buy something from.

BTW, we need a thread on playing the Gift Card game, deep discounts if you know how to do it. Off the top of my head, we did the math and did the whole endless shrimp at Red Lobster recently. What we paid for Gift Cards just by using a few promos, our meal cost was $14ish out the door for two people after it was *all* adjusted. That includes a standard 18%+rounded up to next dollar tip for average service.

We don't know how to nail those gift card discounts, but once in a while we do ok.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Actually, the wedding registry is a pressure from the guests thing, at least it was for us.

We weren't going to do one because we thought it was Stoopid, but people were so thrown off by that that we basically got guilted into wasting a day picking shit that we would use.

I will say the nice thing about it is we got stuff that we use daily. I have a great coffee maker, nice set of pans, a decent knife set, good towels, and a Dyson that were all gifts on our list. That shit all gets used regularly.

To @Ares and @HawkBear not liking to make gift lists, I just give people my Amazon wish list when they ask what I want.

To be fair, if I really want something I just buy it like most people. However I add random books and things to my wish list that I may buy in the future or may be interested in learning about but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's an easy way to answer that question without any effort.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Totes agree. I see my wife's extended family twice a year (Thanksgiving/Xmas) and they always ask me what I want. It's just awkward, I don't like people buying me shit as it is because then I feel like I owe them something.

I stopped doing gifts with my wife 3 years ago and now we take a trip every year instead. So much better.
whats the coolest trip yall have taken?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What’s with the hostility towards gifts?
You can’t think of one damn think you are eventually gonna buy for yourself anyway?
I get it though. People like giving gifts the older they get as it psychologically makes them feel superior to the receiver of the presents - as if to say I can afford this and you need it. I on the other hand, gladly accept the presents as I know it makes the sender feel better about their self worth. Really, it’s not about the time saved from me not having to go to Best Buy and get that new 8K LG tv or any similar gift like that.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Christmas hate makes me sad. I love Christmas, inject it directly into my eyeballs.
Seriously. For me, after Halloween, it's Christmas time. I start watching all those cheesy Hallmark and Netflix Christmas movies on November 1st. Pop in some Mariah Carey/Pentatonix/Michael Buble/Trans Siberian Orchestra on my commute playlist. Since I live in NYC, I take the longer walking route to catch the A train from work in order to walk by the tree when it's lit up.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Adding Canada goose parkas. Pure new money tryhardism.

Whoolrich, bitches!

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Adding Canada goose parkas. Pure new money tryhardism.

Whoolrich, bitches!
there are parkas that are just as good at a fraction of the cost. When I see people with those on, I assume they either don't know how to shop for deals or they're trying too hard to fit in.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
there are parkas that are just as good at a fraction of the cost. When I see people with those on, I assume they either don't know how to shop for deals or they're trying too hard to fit in.
Its brand trends. Woolrich are not cheap but last forever. I dont think there are bootleg woolrich but there def are bootleg Canada goose parkas probably as good as originals. Smh

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Christmas hate makes me sad. I love Christmas, inject it directly into my eyeballs.

How messed up do you have to be to not love Christmas, it's everything that is good with a tiny pinch of bad. I'm already looking forward to Christkindlmarket.

Christkindlmarket-Chicago-9.jpg

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
whats the coolest trip yall have taken?
We've done it 3 years now.

Chicago
Vegas (btw Vegas is really overrated at Christmas time we found out)
Puerto Penasco

This year we're going to Phoenix, more of a family trip to see my grandparents. They are to old to travel anymore.

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
We've done it 3 years now.

Chicago
Vegas
Puerto Penasco

This year we're going to Phoenix, more of a family trip to see my grandparents. They are to old to travel anymore.
Where is Puerto Penasco(I am lazy) and was that nice?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Where is Puerto Penasco(I am lazy) and was that nice?
It sits on the Northeastern side of the Gulf of California. About a 4 hour drive from Phoenix. It's not as nice as other places in Mexico that you can go - like Cabo, but great for a quick and cheap getaway.