Reasons For 2019 Bears Optimism

dll2000

Liked Posts:
1) Most obvious one is most of offense is coming back for second year of a new system and QB is in his second season of taking nearly every practice snap. Those reps are so valuable. Increased familiarity and experience with scheme and reads should help with execution.

2) Interior of O line should be better than 2018. Daniels and Whitehair finally move to their more natural positions. This may take a little time to show improvement, but I think in long run this helps the O line. Obviously they were protecting Daniels from having to make line calls last year and decided to play him at guard. Daniels came into the league at 20 years old. He is an exceptional athlete for an O linemen, his fundamentals from Iowa are already top notch and his best years are yet to come. Also Whitehair's gun snaps arrive to QB slower as he was using a technique that made him more consistent, but isn't ideal. The faster more crisp gun snap just helps the timing of plays in so many ways. You don't know how big a deal that is until you have done it both ways.

Kyle Long had no off season surgery for first time in forever. Hard to get your hopes up on Long being available for a season as cumulative injuries have taken their toll and there is no going back on those. However, it certainly can't hurt that he can weight train and practice in off season. He himself is certainly more optimistic than he has been in many years and this is an optimism thread.

3) Allen Robinson was one of best statistical WRs in NFL in 2015 at the ripe age of 21. In 2016 his play dropped off substantially along with play of his QB. In 2017 he suffered a major knee injury and missed most all of season. In 2018 he spent the offseason rehabbing and was limited in practice. For most of 2018 he was a pretty average WR which is typical after first year coming back from that injury, most people expected this. Robinson had flashes of showing what he is capable of at his best. He ended Philly game with 143 yards and a touchdown. He is still only 25 years old. It is entirely possible Robinson becomes one of 'surprise' NFL WRs of 2019 and plays better than most people expect.

4) Bears have focused on run game in offseason planning. If you were to self scout the 2018 Bears offense and actually watch the games in depth you would see the major issue was run efficiency (taking QB runs out of it which skew the stats). The Bears simply couldn't run the ball effectively. Howard averaged like 3 yards a carry under Nagy which isn't getting it done. The big difference between Fox and Nagy being under center with two TEs and/or a FB and running a lot of OZ/IZ versus being in Gun with 3 WRs and 1 smallish TE and running IZ/OZ and Power. Howard struggled mightily in gun spread with 5 linemen and a smallish TE.

As a result Bears acquired two backs they feel better fit their scheme in Davis and Montgomery. They also added an explosive joker or "trojan" in Patterson who excels in jet/fly sweeps and should also be an asset for various RPOs. Like Howard, Montgomery does not have impressive speed, but he seems to have quicker feet, acceleration and better hands. They both break tackles exceptionally well. Remains to be seen if Montgomery can do it at NFL level. Davis got one start last year in AZ and played very well against the Cardinals who were still playing good defense at the time. Davis was also a very reliable check down receiver. Patterson is one of best size/speed athletes in the league and his use and effectiveness depends on creativity of the coach.

To be better in 2019 Davis/Montgomery have to be better than 3 yards a carry, seems very doable. Add in that both on paper are superior receiving threats and it is a nice plus for this scheme.

Cohen is still one of best change of pace backs and receivers out of backfield in the league and you always have to know where he is. If he is on field at same time as Patterson that is two players that have big play ability.

Another X factor in run game is Shaheen. Shaheen has size and power to be an effective blocking TE. Burton does not and not having Shaheen in 2018 really had an effect on Howard and the run game in a negative way. I realize most Bears fans have written off Shaheen more on that below.

A healthy Long, an older Daniels and above potentially equals a much improved run game outside of QB scrambles. An improved run game means teams have to give more respect to play action.

If Bears can improve run efficiency in 2019 and by evidence above that has been their primary off season focus, then offense as whole should improve.

6) Roquan Smith should be better in 2019. Coming into draft Smith was rightly declared one of best defenders in all of college football. He was a popular pick to be defensive rookie of the year. He got a lot of respect. Then he had some off season issues that distracted him. Then he became a subject of a contract dispute over offset language that saw him miss training camp. This really had a negative effect on him. Also put him in dog house to an extent with Fangio for a time. League wide he became forgotten in favor of rookie LBs playing really well like Darius Leonard and Vander Esch and rightfully so.

In second half of season you saw a lot of stellar games and plays out of Roquan Smith. He closes on football faster in a short area than any other LB I have seen in NFL. He is an outstanding and crafty blitzer who uses that extreme quickness to avoid blocks and tremendous closing speed to be in a QBs face in a blink. He covers very well for a LB. Also a young player at 21. A full training camp and off season should bring the Roquan Smith everyone expected to see out of gate in 2018. I think he makes the pro bowl this year.

7) Bilal Nichols was a very pleasant surprise. Another small school Nagy gem. A big and athletic d linemen drafted to play nose, but whose quickness off ball saw him quickly moved to 3-4 DE and then shortly thereafter earned a unexpected starting role as a rookie. A player who Hicks has very publicly taken under his wing and is hungry to be a very good player in the league.

Nichols, Goldman and Hicks gives Bears one of best starting interior DLs in all of football. Top 10 inarguably.

8) Khalil Mack. One of top 5 players in all of football. Wants to be best ever. Full offseason with no contract distractions, doesn't have to worry about moving or adjusting to new situation all unlike last year. Motivated and happy. Will be a human wrecking ball in 2019. Nuff said.

9) Adam Shaheen. Nobody is counting on Shaheen as he has not been able to stay healthy and I think there is a lot of Kevin White hangover that compounds that feeling. When he made it back on field in 2018 he didn't look great so most have written him off as a bust.

I go back to last offseason. Nagy was basing 2018 game plan around Shaheen and Burton on field together and running RPOs off that. He didn't show it in preseason, but its clear that is what they were working in practice. Nagy didn't have to do that. He chose to do that and he wouldn't have done it if Shaheen was looking like a lethargic slow bum in practice. Denver media was apopletpic after Bears intrasquad scrimmages 1 v 1s. Go back and read the articles and blogs and listen to the podcasts. They could not defend combo of Shaheen and Burton in passing game. I argue that the Shaheen injury was a large reason for offensive slow start as their focus shifted to 3 WR at last minute.

When Shaheen came back last year he says he was playing on one leg. Now best ability is availability, but I think it is premature and perhaps simply wrong to say that this kid lacks talent and ability to achieve in the league if healthy. Nagy obviously disagreed in 2018 off season. We just don't know what could have been or what could be. There is at least some evidence to suggest that Shaheen could be a surprise asset in 2019.

10) HHCD is on a one year prove it deal. Has exceptional hands and no longer has to be single last line of a defense with little pass rush. All of this could and should equal an unexpectedly good year from a player few are expecting to play well and two fan bases have written off. Wrongly in my opinion.

11) Nagy keeps finding late round and UDFA gems. He has been one of if not thee best in league at acquiring good players later in draft or in UDFA. People all over are predicting Bears demise because of trades of so many draft picks. The theory is that they will not be able to have depth or future pipeline of talent.

Everyone knows Jackson and Cohen now. They are stars in the league and steals in the draft.. Most will know Nichols after this year.

Wims and Tolliver are two names not many people know and have played well in NFL at every opportunity given. Either could move into a starting role in an injury situation and Bears would not face a large drop off. It is not inconceivable in a fair fight that either could earn a starting role.

Montgomery and Shelley are next up IMO. Emanuel Hall is talent that can be stashed away for future use. Dax, Denmark and Bars are players that can be part of future as well.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree with this although I would give credit to Pace for building the roster and drafting well. Nagy I'm sure had input but Pace has the final say.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
All good points to a casual Bear fan like @Omeletpants, but nothing new to the majority of ccs.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All good points to a casual Bear fan like [B]@Omeletpants[/B], but nothing new to the majority of ccs.

More accurate of his trolling:
tenor.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So everything and everyone should be better.

Losing one of the best nickel corners in football and one of the better strong safeties and replacing them with mediocre free agents should mean an upgrade in the secondary ?

Replacing one of the most productive running backs over the last three years with a career backup and a third round rookie with one of the lowest ypc in college should be an upgrade ?

Even Lurch at TE who can't run a route without falling over his own feet is a reason for optimism ?

Only thing this thread is missing is a Leonard Floyd pro bowl prediction.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So everything and everyone should be better.

Losing one of the best nickel corners in football and one of the better strong safeties and replacing them with mediocre free agents should mean an upgrade in the secondary ?

Replacing one of the most productive running backs over the last three years with a career backup and a third round rookie with one of the lowest ypc in college should be an upgrade ?

Even Lurch at TE who can't run a route without falling over his own feet is a reason for optimism ?

Only thing this thread is missing is a Leonard Floyd pro bowl prediction.
Now we all know why you are an accountant and not a GM or Owner.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I heard we were getting Pernell McKnee back!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Nagy has struggled with figuring out the TE position, and I honestly think it is such a big part of his scheme, that when you have essentially no TEs for the playoffs, he is lost on how to make the offense work at a high level without them.

It was the same thing in KC when Kelse was injured, the offense fell on it's face....

I think he will begin the year with Burton and Shaheen as the primary pieces, but will develop a back up plan that includes Patterson and Sowell and secondary backup coming from one or more of the other 20 TEs we have on the roster....

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty good post. Well-thought-out, analysis generally supported by observations. I don't necessarily agree on the conclusions about Shaheen, but it's good you back up why you came to those conclusions, and I can at least see your reasoning, even if I don't agree with the conclusion.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You must be fun at parties...

This dead horse been kicked enough. Did you really miss the discussion or do you believe those guys were worth what they got at the expense of losing others on this roster? Agree to disagree but okay. Different thread.
-------------------

^ Seriously, where do you come up with this? :ROFLMAO:

Howard's 2018 stats *with Nagy's scheme: (3.7 ypa)

DM's college stats. YPC = worst!?? Just stop. Will you say next that DM did NOT lead all off NCAA football in broken tackles the last 2 seasons? (click link. He did)
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/david-montgomery-1.html

Yes, Howard WAS better with Fox's offense...but then you have FOX's offense!! You really prefer him & his most predictable offense in the league, just to keep Howard? Get over it already. It's done. And for good reason:
https://theathletic.com/178535/2017/12/08/run-run-pass-is-the-bears-offense-really-that-predictable/

Won't argue this. He falls down very easily for a big dude. Can't stay healthy either. Anything from him is a bonus.

Overall point:
Not everything is sunshine & roses. Hard roster cuts happen in a salary cap league (see NE Pats), but there are many reasons for optimism. If you disagree, make a point & back it up. Making shit up and exaggerating is no way to be.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You must be fun at parties...

This dead horse been kicked enough. Did you really miss the discussion or do you believe those guys were worth what they got at the expense of losing others on this roster? Agree to disagree but okay. Different thread.
-------------------

^ Seriously, where do you come up with this? :ROFLMAO:

Howard's 2018 stats *with Nagy's scheme: (3.7 ypa)

View attachment 2081

DM's college stats. YPC = worst!?? Just stop. Will you say next that DM did NOT lead all off NCAA football in broken tackles the last 2 seasons? (click link. He did)
View attachment 2082
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/david-montgomery-1.html

Yes, Howard WAS better with Fox's offense...but then you have FOX's offense!! You really prefer him & his most predictable offense in the league, just to keep Howard? Get over it already. It's done. And for good reason:
https://theathletic.com/178535/2017/12/08/run-run-pass-is-the-bears-offense-really-that-predictable/

Won't argue this. He falls down very easily for a big dude. Can't stay healthy either. Anything from him is a bonus.

Overall point:
Not everything is sunshine & roses. Hard roster cuts happen in a salary cap league (see NE Pats), but there are many reasons for optimism. If you disagree, make a point & back it up. Making shit up and exaggerating is no way to be.

I commend the time and effort you've put into this, but it's far more than necessary. When shit gets too homer, I like to pull the rope the other way a little.

Was actually a big fan of the Montgomery pick. My comment about Howard was factual, though.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, I don't know anyone who's pessimistic for the 2019 Bears. I think everyone has them penciled in for winning the division and making the playoffs.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I commend the time and effort you've put into this, but it's far more than necessary. When shit gets too homer, I like to pull the rope the other way a little.

Was actually a big fan of the Montgomery pick. My comment about Howard was factual, though.
I mean, I don't know anyone who's pessimistic for the 2019 Bears. I think everyone has them penciled in for winning the division and making the playoffs.

You're on thin fucking ice my pedigree chums, and I shall be under it when it breaks. Now, fuck off.