Reasons For 2019 Bears Optimism

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I commend the time and effort you've put into this, but it's far more than necessary. When shit gets too homer, I like to pull the rope the other way a little.

Was actually a big fan of the Montgomery pick. My comment about Howard was factual, though.

Just as I push back sometimes when things read too negatively. Didn't take long to search & screenshot a few.
Preemptive strike / response to having heard similar many other times I suppose. ?‍♂️

You're right that he started off fantastic in CHI, no doubt. Would've had the rushing title as a rookie if they started him week 1. Just a terribly bad fit for Nagy's system.
I wish him well in Philly (still want PHI to lose). I hear they run a similar blocking scheme there too tho, so it might be tough to flourish there.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Just as I push back sometimes when things read too negatively. Didn't take long to search & screenshot a few.
Preemptive strike / response to having heard similar many other times I suppose. ?‍♂️

You're right that he started off fantastic in CHI, no doubt. Would've had the rushing title as a rookie if they started him week 1. Just a terribly bad fit for Nagy's system.
I wish him well in Philly (still want PHI to lose). I hear they run a similar blocking scheme there too tho, so it might be tough to flourish there.
I wish Howard the best, but he got screwed. He went to PHI but then PHI drafted a RB in the 2nd round. They have a pretty big RB committee now and imo, Howard is best when he's a feature back. He'll go into FA next year not getting a chance to showcase for a big contract.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Losing one of the best nickel corners in football and one of the better strong safeties and replacing them with mediocre free agents should mean an upgrade in the secondary

I agree Callahan for Skrines was a downgrade, but I think Amos for Ha Ha Clinton Dix is an upgrade, lateral move at worst.

Replacing one of the most productive running backs over the last three years with a career backup and a third round rookie with one of the lowest ypc in college should be an upgrade

I think Montgomery is an upgrade over Howard, but that's not the point of the change, happy Nagy is the point.

Nagy felt too predictable with Howard in the backfield, I was hoping Nagy would recognize Howard's improvement catching the ball. My theory on that is maybe Nagy wasn't comfortable keeping Howard in to pass protect, gotta keep the Dear Sweet One alive.

Either way, I trust Nagy more than any other Bears coach that I can remember, this isn't Martz launching Olsen and then being gone himself. If this was the move Nagy wanted, I'm okay with it, he's earned the right to have the RB's he wants.

I'm sure Howard will do fine with the Eagles, and I won't care one little bit as long as the Bears are winning.

Callahan for Skrines is the only downgrade I see, Fangio for Pagano, we shall see. A full TC and preseason for Mack and Smith are much more significant changes. I think the Bears will will be a much better team, but the tougher schedule could knock a few wins off the Bears record. As always, with any sports predictions injuries are always the wildcard.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I agree Callahan for Skrines was a downgrade, but I think Amos for Ha Ha Clinton Dix is an upgrade, lateral move at worst.

I think Montgomery is an upgrade over Howard, but that's not the point of the change, happy Nagy is the point.

Nagy felt too predictable with Howard in the backfield, I was hoping Nagy would recognize Howard's improvement catching the ball. My theory on that is maybe Nagy wasn't comfortable keeping Howard in to pass protect, gotta keep the Dear Sweet One alive.

Either way, I trust Nagy more than any other Bears coach that I can remember, this isn't Martz launching Olsen and then being gone himself. If this was the move Nagy wanted, I'm okay with it, he's earned the right to have the RB's he wants.

I'm sure Howard will do fine with the Eagles, and I won't care one little bit as long as the Bears are winning.

Callahan for Skrines is the only downgrade I see, Fangio for Pagano, we shall see. A full TC and preseason for Mack and Smith are much more significant changes. I think the Bears will will be a much better team, but the tougher schedule could knock a few wins off the Bears record. As always, with any sports predictions injuries are always the wildcard.
The Howard decision was the only real choice to be made. The loss of Callahan and Amos were strictly money issues. You can't pay everyone and good teams have to let players walk in FA. I'd gladly let Amos walk in exchange for being able to sign another home grown talent like Cody Whitehair. Or obviously down the road, Eddie Jackson.

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
So everything and everyone should be better.

Losing one of the best nickel corners in football and one of the better strong safeties and replacing them with mediocre free agents should mean an upgrade in the secondary ?

Replacing one of the most productive running backs over the last three years with a career backup and a third round rookie with one of the lowest ypc in college should be an upgrade ?

Even Lurch at TE who can't run a route without falling over his own feet is a reason for optimism ?

Only thing this thread is missing is a Leonard Floyd pro bowl prediction.

You should post this in your "reasons to be negative about the Bears in 2019"

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I mean, I don't know anyone who's pessimistic for the 2019 Bears. I think everyone has them penciled in for winning the division and making the playoffs.

I am cautiously optimistic. I think you have to be if you have been a fan since the 80s. Every other team fights just as hard to get better too so even something as simple as a mindset could derail the Bears. If they get comfortable thinking 12-4 was good, they won't succeed.
Different sport but in 2015, you could sense the Cubs were hungry for it
I didn't get that sense last year from the Bears. I think there is a window, but for a title we will need some stars to align.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was hoping they kept Callahan.

At he beginning of the off season the common theory was the Bears would have to lose either Callahan or Amos, it seemed obvious, buh bye Amos. I'm not hating on Amos, but if I can only have one, no brainer to keep Callahan.

I haven't looked into Skrine yet but from what I've heard here and on the radio, it sounds like he could be a weakness. Like I said before, I view him as the only downgraded position from last season. I'm hoping if he's not very good Pagano can hide our CB3, I know, it's tough to hide a weak CB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
12. They’re not the Lions.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think it's possible that Floyd might be good enough this year to maybe make the Pro Bowl.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I don't think LOL CD is very good and I'm a bit concerned about that one.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think LOL CD is very good and I'm a bit concerned about that one.

LOL CD, nice, I'm using the hell out of that.

I hope you're wrong because that would mean a downgrade in 2 out of the first 5 DB's. DB goes from a position of strength to a weakness.

KC defense last season was either get to the QB or get burned downfield. Even if your pessimistic view plays out it won't get that bad because of overall talent on D and the DC Pagano.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL CD, nice, I'm using the hell out of that.

I hope you're wrong because that would mean a downgrade in 2 out of the first 5 DB's. DB goes from a position of strength to a weakness.

KC defense last season was either get to the QB or get burned downfield. Even if your pessimistic view plays out it won't get that bad because of overall talent on D and the DC Pagano.

I agree, overall I think they'll be fine. The front 7 I think will be dominant and the real two stars of the secondary are still there.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree, overall I think they'll be fine. The front 7 I think will be dominant and the real two stars of the secondary are still there.

After Eddie Jackson's rookie season I thought he was getting way too much love, caught balls thrown at him and picked up fumbles laying at his feet, I was really wrong. That guy was terrific last season and IMO the biggest loss for the playoff game. Losing Burton and Callahan didn't help, but Jackson was the killer. Watching his injury, trying to just end the play, that was tough to see.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I was a ‘homer’ last year when I thought the bears would improve from the prior year. ?‍♂️

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was a ‘homer’ last year when I thought the bears would improve from the prior year. ?‍♂️

Wait, you you were called a homer for saying the Bears would be better in 2018 than 2017? I thought everybody expected that with the departure of Fox, when they got Mack, it was flat out universal. I don't remember anyone predicting 12-4, but yeah everybody thought they would be improved.

Maybe you were on a Packers message board Doctor.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Wait, you you were called a homer for saying the Bears would be better in 2018 than 2017? I thought everybody expected that with the departure of Fox, when they got Mack, it was flat out universal. I don't remember anyone predicting 12-4, but yeah everybody thought they would be improved.

Maybe you were on a Packers message board Doctor.

Yeah who expected a 1st place finish? Even expecting 10 wins was considered homerism, of course I didn’t expect 12.

Also, no reason to be so mad.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah who expected a 1st place finish? Even expecting 10 wins was considered homerism, of course I didn’t expect 12.

This. There were LOTS of 1-2 win improvement, 8-8 projections last spring; even after the draft. Granted, we had yet to feel out Nagy's approach, but they couldn't have had worse WRs than 2017. Many started to come around by the time Mack was on scene.

Homers don't usually give valid reasons, and typically spew sunshine and rainbows with magical thinking as to the cause/effect to back up their claims. See the recent thread about how the "LIONS will be the 2018 Bears".

Last edited:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also, no reason to be so mad.

Such a wise Doctor, you sensed my rage between the lines. Your insight and sage advice has helped me to calm my tits.

Thank you so much Doctor.