Replay expansion coming to MLB pending player/umpire approval

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good articles today on the replay system and how it will lead to an improvement (we hope) in MLB games going forward whenever the next iteration is implemented.

http://bbp.cx/a/21540

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Meh, I don't like how they're limiting the number of replays and having the managers in charge. I think the challenges and replays need to be like how the NBA and college football implement them. Whenever a close play happens, have a crew of guys in a booth replay them automatically. This way, there isn't a time constraint on things. We aren't having to wait for managers to ask for a replay or challenge. If there's a close play at a bag, or there's a close call on a ball or strike that results in an out or a run scored, then just review it automatically. If the play needs to be overturned, then alert the umpiring crew.

The game has slowed down too much as it is. Having six potential managerial replays will make the game slow down even more -- if you're going to have replays and challenges, have them seamlessly integrated into the game. It doesn't need to be like the NFL. I don't think that style fits with the flow of a baseball game.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this is just the first proposal, they're obviously going to hammer it out as soon as the players and umps get on board too. Managers aren't too keen with the challenge system.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think this is just the first proposal, they're obviously going to hammer it out as soon as the players and umps get on board too. Managers aren't too keen with the challenge system.

Well, of course. I'm strictly speaking about this initial proposal. It seems counter-productive that virtually all fans agree that the games need to be sped up. All a challenge system will do is add more time to games. Challenges aren't a seamless integration like having a booth that is in charge of all challenges or replays.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Whenever a close play happens, have a crew of guys in a booth replay them automatically.

that the way im hoping it ends up..

just have a 5th ump in the booth and they will be able to see a replay right away and determine if ump made correct call before the next pitch..

using challenges will only have teams delay the game somehow so someone can get a look at the replay and determine whether they should use a challenge before the next pitch.