Report: Detroit Lions looking for a bargain to move into top 5

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has made it clear he's interested in trading up in the draft, Justin Rogers of Mlive reports. He's already begun gauging the cost of making that move, and according to an NFL Network report, the Lions are seeking a bargain to get into the top five.

Ian Rapoport, citing a team executive, said both the Lions and Buffalo Bills have been calling around about moving up, but neither team is blowing anyone away with their offers.

The Lions currently hold the No. 10 selection in the first round and Mayhew previously stated he doesn't believe there are 10 elite players in this draft. But at his pre-draft press conference on Monday, he said he's not willing to sell the farm to grab one of those blue-chip talents.

"It depends how much those blue chips cost, you know?" Mayhew said. "If they cost too much, I'd rather have a couple red chips, so it's about getting value."

It's largely believed Detroit's targets in the top five would either be Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins or Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has made it clear he's interested in trading up in the draft. He's already begun gauging the cost of making that move, and according to an NFL Network report, the Lions are seeking a bargain to get into the top five.

Ian Rapoport, citing a team executive, said both the Lions and Buffalo Bills have been calling around about moving up, but neither team is blowing anyone away with their offers.

2 teams that had conversations about moving into the Top 5 the last few days: The #Lions & #Bills. As of now 1 exec said they want a bargain
-- Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 6, 2014

The Lions currently hold the No. 10 selection in the first round and Mayhew previously stated he doesn't believe there are 10 elite players in this draft. But at his pre-draft press conference on Monday, he said he's not willing to sell the farm to grab one of those blue-chip talents.

"It depends how much those blue chips cost, you know?" Mayhew said. "If they cost too much, I'd rather have a couple red chips, so it's about getting value."

The NFL Network report would suggest the Lions aren't currently including their second-round pick (No. 45 overall) in their feeler offers.

It's largely believed Detroit's targets in the top five would either be Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins or Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack.

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
To me that read like an Onion article. That's how I typically feel about Lions related articles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can laugh at the Lions all day, but they have been drafting very well the last 3-4 years. I guess we will see what happens this year. But imo, trading up would be a mistake for them.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
We can laugh at the Lions all day, but they have been drafting very well the last 3-4 years. I guess we will see what happens this year. But imo, trading up would be a mistake for them.

I'm not sure the "they've drafted very well the last 3-4 years" is entirely accurate but I do agree that trading up wouldn't make sense especially for a WR.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure the "they've drafted very well the last 3-4 years" is entirely accurate but I do agree that trading up wouldn't make sense especially for a WR.

They may have had the best draft of any team in the NFL last year, and also picked up 2 quality UDFA'S.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

The Lions currently hold the No. 10 selection in the first round and Mayhew previously stated he doesn't believe there are 10 elite players in this draft.

Here's the real news involved in this story that I whole heartedly agree with, there aren't 10 elite players in the draft. There's a hand full and I don't know if one of those hand full of players will fall to the Bears at 14. Having a pick at 14 this year is like having a pick at 20 or worse in years past. Pryor isn't a top-15 talent, I would probably argue that Hasean Clinton Dix is not a top-15 talent. None of the DTs beyond Donald, none of the linebackers. The best argument that you could make would be at corner that that is where the talent lies in the first round. Emery wants to trade out for a reason and a major part of that reason is the talent at 14 is like the talent in the mid to late 20s most years. Why not just pick up extra value to grab the same type of player at 14?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Serious question:

Do you follow football?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/draft.htm

They've drafted 11 current or former starters in the last 4 seasons. Look at the amount of games played production they are getting out some of these picks that aren't starting as well.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I especially like that 2010 Willie Young pick, since the homers are calling him the steal of free agency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. More shitty Bears fan "logic".

"I don't know if saying the Lions have drafted very well the last few years if entirely accurate."

"OMG The Willie Young(a 2010 Lions 7th Rnd draft pick) signing is great!"

:obama:

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
They've drafted 11 current or former starters in the last 4 seasons. Look at the amount of games played production they are getting out some of these picks that aren't starting as well.

While I do not disagree with what you are saying, I am just going to make a general statement. How many starters a bad football team has drafted is not a good gauge. If they were perennial contenders it would be a different story. They are improving however. Point taken.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I do not disagree with what you are saying, I am just going to make a general statement. How many starters a bad football team has drafted is not a good gauge. If they were perennial contenders it would be a different story. They are improving however.
Then what is a good gauge?

You're not going to disagree with what I'm saying..but then disagree with what I said.

This forum continues to doom spiral.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. More shitty Bears fan "logic".

"I don't know if saying the Lions have drafted very well the last few years if entirely accurate."

"OMG The Willie Young(a 2010 Lions 7th Rnd draft pick) signing is great!"

:obama:

But he is light years better than Shea Mac.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
Then what is a good gauge?

You're not going to disagree with what I'm saying..but then disagree with what I said.

This forum continues to doom spiral.

Being a bottom dweller and improving to 7-9 over the course of 6 years does not prove anything. Of course they are going to improve from 0-16. What else could possibly happen? The point I was making is that they are not the Chiefs or anywhere close.

I am sorry you feel that way about this board. Do the Bills not have one or something?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
..which continues to help the point.

YEP. Here's another one. UDFA L.Waddle outplayed a certain OT some homers are :fap: over, and 3rd round pick L.Warford clearly outperformed #1 pick Kyle Long. Someone please tell AH that the Lions have been drafting well is entirely fucking accurate.