Report: Reds, Castellanos close to deal?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, the Reds and Padres have really stepped up into the competition of big dogs.

Houston, Yankees, Dodgers have tons of talent.

Reds, Padres have bought into the conversation.

Some other young exciting teams like Toronto and White Sox did rebuilds the right way.

Its going to be a fiery and competitive season with all the drama leading up, juggernauts in good shape and upstarts making a push.

Interesting if Red Sox and Cubs can patch some holes and bounce back.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would prefer Nick be in a different division, but knew he wasn't coming back as a Cub. I would have been OK with him getting a new contract here, but I am not nearly as distraught as most.

But had he gone to the AL, I'd have been happier.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Yep, which is why we're rolling the dice on reclamation projects and hoping a bunch of mid-grade guys have career years, rather than signing people who both want to play here and the fan base wants to see playing here.

Sigh.

-Doug

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
They can't even sign Eric Sogard. No way they are going to spend on Nick.

There was a report that he had a handshake agreement to sign w/ the cubs last year. but now he's probably like screw this - if they trade Bryant I'm out.

He wanted to win and get in the playoffs finally. Cubs aren't going to be that team in 2020.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I would prefer Nick be in a different division, but knew he wasn't coming back as a Cub. I would have been OK with him getting a new contract here, but I am not nearly as distraught as most.

But had he gone to the AL, I'd have been happier.
Considering I hardly knew who Nick Castellanos was when he was in detroit, a guy that hits .280, .325 on base, strikes out 150 times a year, (once per game for the mathematically challenged) walks once every 4 games (enough?) and is a doubles machine. Is he really someone Detroit could not afford for this 16 per year?
Crane says its not the organization holding Theo back, its Theo not wanting to spend.

cheapjeep

A Cubs fan now in Myrtle Beach
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Green Bay Packers
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  2. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Clemson Tigers
  2. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
Dont the reds already have their outfield situated? Even so, Nick is a fun player to watch and I wouldnt mind seeing him play with the reds. Now cardinals...thats a different story

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
4 year deal with the Reds.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
4 year deal with the Reds.

Technically, it could be a one or two year deal.......pretty damn sweet.

"The Cincinnati Reds have signed outfielder Nicholas Castellanos to a four-year deal worth $64 million. The contract includes opt-outs after both 2020 and 2021, which is certainly good for Castellanos, allowing him to go back out on the market if he has a big year. "

FattSlimm

Liked Posts:
He was never coming here. Cubs are way above the luxury tax.
I’m sick of hearing that cop out when you have a group of billionaire owners. That thinking is exactly why Tom Ricketts was nearly booed off stage at CubCon. Theo and Jed need their feet held to the fire and fix the mess they have created. This looks like a third place team and not fourth only because the Pirates are in rebuild mold. Not sure how much Boras is paying the arbitrator to hold up the Bryant decision but as soon as it’s complete and he has two years remaining both he and Heyward need to be on a plane elsewhere. Had the arbitrator made a timely decision and this would have already happened, thus freeing up payroll for the poor Ricketts and Castellanos could have been resigned.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Technically, it could be a one or two year deal.......pretty damn sweet.

"The Cincinnati Reds have signed outfielder Nicholas Castellanos to a four-year deal worth $64 million. The contract includes opt-outs after both 2020 and 2021, which is certainly good for Castellanos, allowing him to go back out on the market if he has a big year. "

Yep, you're right. Sorry, those deets came out after I posted lol.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Would rather have him than Bryant

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m sick of hearing that cop out when you have a group of billionaire owners. That thinking is exactly why Tom Ricketts was nearly booed off stage at CubCon. Theo and Jed need their feet held to the fire and fix the mess they have created. This looks like a third place team and not fourth only because the Pirates are in rebuild mold. Not sure how much Boras is paying the arbitrator to hold up the Bryant decision but as soon as it’s complete and he has two years remaining both he and Heyward need to be on a plane elsewhere. Had the arbitrator made a timely decision and this would have already happened, thus freeing up payroll for the poor Ricketts and Castellanos could have been resigned.

1. Reds look better. So they look like a 4th place team.

2. Conspersy theory 101. The Boras did it.

3. All teams are owned by billionaires. But all teams have to adhere to lux tax rules. And the Cubs are paying out over 200 mil. Which is far more than 3/4 of the league is paying. But the Ricketts are cheap? Ok sure what ever you say bud.

kerrywoodwins20

Harvey Weinstein's Biggest Fan
Liked Posts:
1. Reds look better. So they look like a 4th place team.

2. Conspersy theory 101. The Boras did it.

3. All teams are owned by billionaires. But all teams have to adhere to lux tax rules. And the Cubs are paying out over 200 mil. Which is far more than 3/4 of the league is paying. But the Ricketts are cheap? Ok sure what ever you say bud.

Blaming Ricketts is really stupid IMO.

I believe if Ricketts believed that spending $20,000,000 more would fix the team, he’d do it.

But there are some problems with that. He knows there are 5 glaring holes, not just one. And he has no confidence that Theo will fix the issue if he gives more money, which is a fair belief considering how badly Theo has spent money since 2016.